Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rear Master Cylinder Screws

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Codey90
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:23 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Rear Master Cylinder Screws Reply with quote

Hi All,
Having an issue with two screws on my rear Master brake cylinder. They are barely accessible due to a part of the frame running above the top of it. I've tried an offset screwdriver but they don't fit very well even after trying four sizes.
The screws, as you can also see are rusted and very difficult to turn using a bit in a wrench without potentially stripping them. I've left them to soak in WD40 overnight and am tempted to try an impact screwdriver but the only way would be to use the driver at an angle due to the frame obstructing a perpendicular fit. Any other ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/GBjgqX7

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you warm it up a bit? Either directly, or with a bit of metal bar that you can heat up hot and apply to the screw heads? It's probably (guess) just stuck at the "countersink".

Edit: You said: "very difficult to turn using a bit in a wrench without potentially stripping them". Do you mean that they do actually turn, but are stiff? If so, WD40 is crap, try "Plus gas" or similar.

Codey90
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:37 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Can you warm it up a bit? Either directly, or with a bit of metal bar that you can heat up hot and apply to the screw heads? It's probably (guess) just stuck at the "countersink".

Edit: You said: "very difficult to turn using a bit in a wrench without potentially stripping them". Do you mean that they do actually turn, but are stiff? If so, WD40 is crap, try "Plus gas" or similar.

I can try heating them up, going to pop to Screwfix in the morning so might be worth investing in a micro torch. When trying to turn the screw, it doesn't turn at all. I saw it starting to chew up the head so immediately stopped.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike is it?

Codey90
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:44 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
What bike is it?

Lexmoto ZSX-F. Chinese plastic screws disguised as metal. Had the bike sat around for 6 months. Replaced the chain, sprockets, caliper and brake disc but after all that it's these two screws that are causing the final issue for the bleed.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconnect brake light switch and then undo the two mounting bolts and see if you can wiggle it to a position to get easier access to the screws?

I have to undo my rear m/c mounting bolt to fill it up (cbf1000) so not an uncommon issue.

https://i.postimg.cc/GtvG4BY9/cylinder.jpg

Bunch of spares for that bike from above seller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=browniesbikes&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xzsx-f.TRS0&_nkw=zsx-f&_sacat=0

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you use a punch to turn the screws and break them free of the corrosion?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Codey90 wrote:
I can try heating them up, going to pop to Screwfix in the morning so might be worth investing in a micro torch. When trying to turn the screw, it doesn't turn at all. I saw it starting to chew up the head so immediately stopped.

If Sir is going to Screwfix, is there a Toolstation nearby?

https://www.toolstation.com/piezo-ignition-turbo-torch/p36574#reviewTab

That general sort of thing is most useful. You can use it for all sorts of things. I've got a USAian "turbo torch" which I got ages ago for £Ouch, looks similar but cheaper.

If you hust heat up the end of a bit of bar on the gas cooker and apply that to the screw head area you won't need to spend money and there's less chance of setting fire to things.

Codey90
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:40 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies guys. Ill try chasing it out with a small punch, never thought of that. In terms of heating it up I've just had a look through the kitchen and my partner has one of those electric candle lighter things for her overpriced collection of Yankee candles so I may try that too. If all else fails it may just be a case of taking the mounting bolts off and wiggling it about a bit for a better angle as mentioned. Would have thought the process would have been much simpler than what it's turned out to be.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:55 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are JIS screws. You can tell by the little "dent" to one side of the cross. If you don't have a specific JIS screwdriver, you wont get them out without stripping the heads regardless of how well you can get at them. Phillips or posidrive will not fit properly. I've never seen a right angle JIS driver.

Sometimes filing the tip down a few mm on a phillips scredriver will take it closer to fitting a JIS. If the bike came with a toolkit (or you have a toolkit from a Japanese bike), the cheap looking screwdriver with the removable plastic handle is a JIS.

Codey90
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:32 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
They are JIS screws. You can tell by the little "dent" to one side of the cross. If you don't have a specific JIS screwdriver, you wont get them out without stripping the heads regardless of how well you can get at them. Phillips or posidrive will not fit properly. I've never seen a right angle JIS driver.

Sometimes filing the tip down a few mm on a phillips scredriver will take it closer to fitting a JIS. If the bike came with a toolkit (or you have a toolkit from a Japanese bike), the cheap looking screwdriver with the removable plastic handle is a JIS.

You must have eagle eyes. Lifesaver. Went to Machine Mart today and picked up a set of drivers and the job is finished. Went for the first ride today in 6 months. Thankyou all!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1