Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorbike & Sidecar Hire?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Motorbike & Sidecar Hire? Reply with quote

My granddaughter is always asking when she's gonna get a ride on one of my bikes.

She's only 5 and the thought of pulling some dank wheelies with her hanging off the back... well the wife said no Rolling Eyes

However, riding in a sidecar would more than make her day so would anyone have any recommendations? (SW London/Surrey area.)

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Motorbike & Sidecar Hire? Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
My granddaughter is always asking when she's gonna get a ride on one of my bikes.

She's only 5 and the thought of pulling some dank wheelies with her hanging off the back... well the wife said no Rolling Eyes

However, riding in a sidecar would more than make her day so would anyone have any recommendations? (SW London/Surrey area.)

Wow! I'd guess your best bet would be to borrow one and insure it short-term. The insurance may put you off, depending.

Possibly better to wait until her feet can reach the pegs (unless you can modify them/fit something highter up?)

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: EFFIT! I have just looked to see what the prices are like for my old Russian outfit! Dear God in heaven above.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol... she pulls out the pegs and hops up on the bikes when I'm working on them "vvvroooom.... vvvrrooom!!!" and she's already asked for a pit bike for Xmas Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:42 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Motorbike & Sidecar Hire? Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

I recommend you don't ride a sidecar.

I further recommend that if you have never ridden a sidecar, you do not put anyone or anything you love in or near it for at least the first month.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Motorbike & Sidecar Hire? Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I further recommend that if you have never ridden a sidecar, you do not put anyone or anything you love in or near it for at least the first month.

^ so much this.

It's nothing like riding a bike, or driving a car. And way too easy to end up on the wrong side of the road ...

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Motorbike & Sidecar Hire? Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

They're great! Yes, like trikes they get held up in traffic, but they are excellent fun. One of the most fun vehicles ever in the ice and snow.

stinkwheel wrote:

That. They do take some getting used to OFC. Taking care is a very good tip. Hm. "Tip". Oops.

I had a friend, from an ex-Russian satellite state, who wanted a go on an outfit of mine. I wouldn't sit *in* the sidecar, being cowardly and interested in self-preservation, only *on* it, so I wouldn't be trapped. Good thing too, after about 200 yards he turned sharp left over the kerb and into some bushes, with a maniacal twisted grin on his face and a loud burst of Slavic yelling, so I bailed out. OTOH my dad, very trusting (and had driven outfits from a Lambretta to a Sq4), went in the sidecar with a large friend of his accompanying on the pillion. Heading along the embankment by the river we suddenly turned towards a pub, with a hideous screech and rumbling. "Don't turn like that" he said. The pillion didn't say anything.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:35 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could buy a Sidewinder sidecar and put her on that. Tie her down with bungees or she might slip off.

Normal sidecars ain't easy to ride, believe me!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:41 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Motorbike & Sidecar Hire? Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

This!!!! x10

My dad had a combination right back when I was a teenager, when he was on nights I'd nick the keys and FO out on it.
His was an old 400/4 with a giant wedge of cheese bolted onto it. Easy to ride on a R/H bend, not so much on a left hooker. Laughing
Even at 17 I had ridden for best part of 10 years so wasn't a novice by any standard but they are still very tricky to get
the feel of. If she wants the wind in hair feeling, take her out for a thrash in a convertible car. Far safer!! Look into
hiring an Ariel Atom for a few laps of Brands or something.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Motorbike & Sidecar Hire? Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

My daughter has been coming on the bike of the bike since she was 2 1/2 !! Initially started with us wearing a child's snow mobile belt, but, by the time she was 5, had already moved onto love handles, or, just holding on to the sissy bar.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=101055

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:16 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can she ride a push bike? Take her pewee motocrossing? There's bound to be somewhere you can take her for a pay and go on an offroader.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Can she ride a push bike? Take her pewee motocrossing? There's bound to be somewhere you can take her for a pay and go on an offroader.

Yeah, I think the sidecar idea was a little ill thought out but some great suggestions! Glad I asked Thumbs Up

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:34 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Motorbike & Sidecar Hire? Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
HardlyDavidson wrote:

Sage advice there.

I had a BSA A10 outfit about 1972. It was slow, heavy on fuel and quite dangerous unless you were used to how it would behave, including the sidecar actually taking to the air on speedy left turns. First time that happened I nearly crapped, and it only came down when I rapidly steered right, which put me on the wrong side of the road.

I'm also wondering how the law stands about putting a small child in a sidecar. You can't put one in a car except in a special seat with the right approvals and the average car is probably about a hundred times safer than a sidecar outfit.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:08 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Motorbike & Sidecar Hire? Reply with quote

BusterGonads wrote:

I'm also wondering how the law stands about putting a small child in a sidecar. You can't put one in a car except in a special seat with the right approvals and the average car is probably about a hundred times safer than a sidecar outfit.

There are almost no laws pertaining to carrying of sidecar passengers.

I could be stood up on a flatbed sidecar, pissed and wearing only my underpants and the only thing they could do is try to make a case for the rider carrying an unsafe cargo.. The second I stepped across to the pillion seat, I'd be committing a whole series of offences.

someone
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:41 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

yestrday i took my kid (8 years old) for a ride , he was wearing a helmet and i was riding below 50 kmh near our home ,an a hole cut me off at the roundabout i manged by a hair while fearing my kid will fell off .

am a large guy so i wont suffer much if anything at all but my kid i dont want to think about it .

moral of the story ,,,,, i wont take my kid on a public road again peroid...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.pattayaone.news/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Overloaded-Motorbike.jpg

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most I saw was in Malaysia, 5 people and a dog standing in a shopping bag held by one of the passengers. Dad riding
with toddler in front of him, on the back was presumably the mother holding the dog in a bag while a little girl aged
about 7 sat between mum and dad. Oh and she was holding a very small baby, obvs. Not a single crash helmet between them.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:29 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
https://www.pattayaone.news/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Overloaded-Motorbike.jpg

Fly to India, try it there it is part of life there....even get granny on the back.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:19 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone wrote:
yestrday i took my kid (8 years old) for a ride , he was wearing a helmet and i was riding below 50 kmh near our home ,an a hole cut me off at the roundabout i manged by a hair while fearing my kid will fell off .

am a large guy so i wont suffer much if anything at all but my kid i dont want to think about it .

moral of the story ,,,,, i wont take my kid on a public road again peroid...

I sympathise with that feeling. Horrible.

Way back in 1990, I took my then ten year old, eldest son on the back of my Honda CB250RS through France to Italy.

https://photos.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-tzC9WRb/0/bbada7eb/XL/Tom%20in%201990%20on%20way%20back%20from%20Italy-XL.jpg

This is him having 'breakfast' out of the saddlebag at five in the morning after a night bedded down on the grass verge at the side of a French motorway.

We had intended to go as far as southern Italy, but in a fierce rainstorm, on the Italian side of the Alps, I was going uphill on a bad road, streaming with water and when I opened the throttle, the back end of the bike stepped out and we almost came off it. I decided then and there that I had risked his life too much already and we stayed there for a few days and then came home. This involved driving all night at times and me tapping his leg behind me and him tapping my back to prove that he was awake and not about to fall off at sixty miles an hour onto a pitch black motorway wearing his black Belstaff jacket.

He still talks about the trip and rides himself these days. He says that none of his mates had an adventure like riding 2500 miles on the back of a motorbike. Looking back, it was bloody irresponsible of me. These days, he might be taken away by social services.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:28 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Most I saw was in Malaysia, 5 people and a dog standing in a shopping bag held by one of the passengers. Dad riding
with toddler in front of him, on the back was presumably the mother holding the dog in a bag while a little girl aged
about 7 sat between mum and dad. Oh and she was holding a very small baby, obvs. Not a single crash helmet between them.

I've not seen five, but I certainly saw a mum and dad and two kiddies (one barely a toddler) riding a scooter in Naples. Only the dad had a helmet..... Nice guy obviously. Careful of his family. We'd strayed into a bad area, and my gf had her bag stolen a few minutes after by some stinking skank of a moped gangster, who suddenly opened the car door, snatched her bag and was off on the moped down the pavement with his mate who was waiting behind us. Being from the UK, I didn't realise you had to have all your doors locked at all times, especially when you were stuck in a traffic jam.

These days, things have changed here in some cities so people expect to have to lock their doors.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusterGonads wrote:
These days, things have changed here in some cities so people expect to have to lock their doors.

Yeah, there's a switch on my centre console for all the door locks. I call it "The Tooting Button" Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1