Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

About time I got into this biking lark

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Steve K
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:24 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: About time I got into this biking lark Reply with quote

Just thought Id say hello. Ive always loved bikes but never got round to taking my test. Ive raced Stock Rods and done Track days in a 3.9ltr V8 Westfield I had and now Im selling my 29yr old Golf to fund my foray into bikes and making space in my garage.
Im 51 and was planning on buying new but the other day I was looking round a bike shop in my lunch hour and found this lovely SV650 Naked. Its on a 2003 plate and has only done 6400 miles ( it appears some people love SV's and some dont) It reminded me a bit of my mates Bandit from a few years back it just looked right to me. Ive now got my theory booked and my lessons start soon. Ive ridden 125 scooters and bikes to work for years so the jump to the big bike shouldnt be to hard on the road sense side of things.
I drive trucks for a living and a few months ago I brought a low loader back to the yard weighing nearly 50 tonne then had to get on my scooter with L plates to go home :/ cant wait to get rid of them lol.
Looking forward to learning and getting advice from you guys
Thanks Steve

Looking forward to learning and gaining advice on here . cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find a lot of bikes that have done very little mileage. If it isn't a commuter, it's a toy that goes out sunny days for fun.

Also called a garage queen. Laughing

Which means you can find some older bikes in wonderful condition that have been polished as much as they have been ridden (like mine Embarassed ).

And yes, some people have a downer on SV's and Bandits but the amount of people who have cut their motorcycling teeth on those bikes is huge.

Just plan on chopping and changing until you get THE bike that you love. Which means learning the litany of excuses to explain to wifey why you have yet another motorbike. Thumbs Up

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title says getting into biking - what on Earth is that blue thing??

Nah. Enjoy. I do like those but went in another direction.

Steve K
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:03 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
The title says getting into biking - what on Earth is that blue thing??

Nah. Enjoy. I do like those but went in another direction.

Lol Thankyou Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve K
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:05 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
You will find a lot of bikes that have done very little mileage. If it isn't a commuter, it's a toy that goes out sunny days for fun.

Also called a garage queen. Laughing

Which means you can find some older bikes in wonderful condition that have been polished as much as they have been ridden (like mine Embarassed ).

And yes, some people have a downer on SV's and Bandits but the amount of people who have cut their motorcycling teeth on those bikes is huge.

Just plan on chopping and changing until you get THE bike that you love. Which means learning the litany of excuses to explain to wifey why you have yet another motorbike. Thumbs Up

I think she's used to that with my cars, there's always a toy in the garage Very Happy

crussell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:13 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great looking bike, despite others getting upset by it for some reason. And with only 6400 ticks, you can't go wrong. I hope you enjoy it!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

crussell wrote:
That's a great looking bike, despite others getting upset by it for some reason. And with only 6400 ticks, you can't go wrong. I hope you enjoy it!

Always thought the pillion seat and grab rail looked a bit chunky, but the little screen and belly pan on that one set it off well.
I thought they were an excellent little bike, but a bit too easy to get used to, so I got bored with mine quickly - but I'd owned a lot of other bikes before then. Seat was torture though!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Steve K
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:21 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I passed my theory test Very Happy I have the forst two weeks off in August. lessons booked and Mod 1 and 2 booked.
My mk1 Golf went off to its new home and the SV is now sat in my garage. Lets hope its a long summer.

Steve K
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:44 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ive only gone and passed. Did my Mod 1 and Mod2 this week passed both with one minor.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Now get out there while the sun is shining!

(Well, it's shining here right now. Your personal meteorological experience may vary.)

diesel dog
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:18 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy Cool
Evotion This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:34 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one mate, I enjoyed the hell out of my sv while I had it. Perfect cheap B road machine.

New fork oil and getting new foam/rebuilt seat were the first things I did to mine. Thumbs Up

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me that would like to see pictures of a V8 Westfield as well??

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV was my first big bike too. It's a great bike starting out. It feels like lightning compared to a 125. Good luck with the test.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1