Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

UTURN - look where I want to go but bike doesn't follow

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:41 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: UTURN - look where I want to go but bike doesn't follow Reply with quote

This happens to me - the bike doesn't follow. So, what am I doing so wrong. I've been trying for a week and I still can't do it. I think I'm not turning the handlebars but can't work out why I'm so nervous to do that. The motorcycle is quite heavy 500lb.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you do need to be riding the bike, or it won't work
411k This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the point you're turning to is good, but the main thing is to work the clutch. Have it on the biting point as you turn. If you start to wobble let the clutch out a little, and the bike will stabilise Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:19 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice walking-pace slow riding while slipping the clutch and controlling the speed using the back brake first. Once you're happy with your slow riding, you then move into a U-turn.

Every U-turn starts with a slow ride. You can't just set off and turn immediately. Get moving in a straight line first, control your speed, once you're in a well balanced slow ride, look to where you want to go and steer the bike round there, keeping in the exact same slow riding "mode".

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:57 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sit in a chair, hands out in front as if holding bars, turn head to right, bet hands and thus bars hardly moved, try again turn head AND shoulders,look right around 180 degrees behind you, the hands will follow and the bar will move

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head up, look where you want to go, no sudden control inputs, and the bike will make the U-turn. Japanese bike? Then look in the manual for the turning radius it can achieve. It will be able to do a much tighter U-turn than you're trying to do. The problem is tension and imbalance. You're too stiff, your body isn't working unconsciously as one, and I'm guessing the bike won't turn because your body is keeping it vertical regardless of your mind willing the turn. You could try a bandaid and this will help it click together right now and will last up to your test: tip the bike under you at the same time as consciously using the bars to initiate the turn, and consciously relax your arms, upper body and shoulders. This is overthinking it but it will get you through.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:19 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes are built to tilt, to make'em turn you have to lean them over.
If you try hold it up, you have to turn the bars more and more and more to get the same amount of turn, and counter productively, slower you go and the more you try hood it up, so the more you get into a battle with the geometry trying to 'fall over' as you turn the front wheel off the centre line to the back, and the bike wants to tuck under you, and not go round a corner, the front wheel acting like a bent bulldozer blade to the back,,,, and it ALL 'feels' wrong and slowig down more, holding bike upright more is the naturtal thing to try do to stop yourself falling over....

Watch some moto-gym-khana vids.... get a bike over use lean and its astounding how tight a bike will turtn even at reletively slow speeds.. so you probabloy DONT need to go so slow, JUST stop fighting the bike and let the bugga lean....

Unfasionable prective is to 'counter-lean' which isd to let the bike tilt beneath you, and keep your nody more upright for baslence but NOIT the bike.... watch moto gym, you'll see them doung this too...

BUT that's the key... I have done two up fully laden U turns on a 1 in 3 Welsh hill tyrack, in the width oif the less than 2m road (according to OS map!) so much less than they give you on Mod 1 test, and in much worse circumstances with loose gravel grip, a bloody steep hill and a squigglebum pillion on the perch! Ity JUST tales a bit of confidence and vballs and a bit of lean, even on a heavy old long wheelbase barge like my old CB Seven-Fifty..

If you have done DAS training it is likely something that is a bit of a brain fart inb test where you forget all you have been taught and not really given time to practice, with a few test tricks like slip and effinb drag, keepiung revs up and slipping clutch and holding bike back on the back brake... oh how I HATE That particular bit of expedience.... NUT.... ask in training for more practioce, dont believe you HAVER to drag and effin-slip... trfy riding it clean and grow some to tipo the thing over and use the throttle and a litle counter lean to jhold it up and pick, it up... it IS possible it is just getting oast your own fears and practice practice prtactice... even if instructor is getting bored on the pavement... buy em a pa ck of fags and tell them to start smoking if they dont already!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:03 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who provided good tips. I went out real early this morning to my local car park and did improve. I turned my shoulders as well as my head, so managed better uturns, not the best but tighter. I turned my head a full 180 degrees and kept it there on the uturn, was not doing that very well before today. A few more revs and better clutch control helped.

I was aware I was straight armed and helluva tense, so concentrated on relaxing and not fighting the controls. It made a big difference. My slow straight practice was good.

I'm out every day for an hour doing slow control, so hope I'll be able to say in the next week that I've conquered the slow maneuvers that were haunting me.

Thanks again!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apply a little bit of power and control the speed with the back brake. U-turns will become a breeze.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

411k wrote:
I turned my head a full 180 degrees

https://i.postimg.cc/hGGCpXWC/Man-Turns-Head-180-Degrees.gif

Be sure to turn it back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

annemarie
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:22 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things worked for me, a combination of

1. don't overthink it at all, just go where you want to go
2. slow control where you don't adjust clutch or throttle at all and only use foot brake to slow down, but also use foot brake continuously for more balance

411k wrote:
better uturns, not the best but tighter.

tighter? don't need to be too tight, as wide as 2 lanes is fine? a tighter u-turn doesn't mean a better one surely.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:48 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: youtibe Reply with quote

theres a great video on youtube showing how to counter the weight and move so the bike doesnt fall at low speed, good reviews on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qJXO4CZ9S0&t=633s

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice, practice and more practice. Suddenly it will click.

It was really frustrating when trying to help my daughter do the same. From what I remember trailing the back brake was the thing that helped her the most.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so. Lesson 2.

"Japanese Police: 16 Motorcycle training lessons, practice runs and Exam"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JDpdfm5j7c

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imaging below worked for me. (not doing them actually)
"Turn your belly button towards the direction"
"Put your chin on the road"

annemarie
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:44 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was helpful for me to realise "that side of the road there is where I need to get" rather than concentrating on the process of getting there.

To overcome the fear of falling off while going very slow just need to keep the bike steady, give it throttle and control with clutch + back brake. Then turn your head to where you need to go and think "this is where I am going".
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1