Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The end of Shipbuilding in Britain?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Regarding the EU's interest in Turkey, I do think it has designs on reforming Turkey and bringing it into the empire, but then it has imperial ambitions globally which I find worrying. Check out the EU's Union for the Mediterranean and EU in The World websites. It's the kind of stuff which either duplicates what individual nations do (and their time is surely numbered), or what the UN aims to do. Taking one example at random, why is there an EU Election Observation Mission in Peru? That seems to me to be beyond the remit.

The EU has spotted that the UN struggles because it recognises national sovereignty but uses economic sanctions after the event to try to punish nations which won't conform. The UN (and NATO) is also too US-dominated for the EU (wannabe world) leaders. Instead, the EU binds members into economic rules which admittedly are beneficial, but which become a blackmail tool. Don't like our political policy? Tough, we own you now and we'll make you poorer if you won't conform. Being bold enough to leave the EU comes with a deliberate cost way beyond reason.

Well said sir Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've made no secret of their plans for Africa I wouldn't be surprised if they're working on the Reconquista de las Americas as we speak...

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
They've made no secret of their plans for Africa I wouldn't be surprised if they're working on the Reconquista de las Americas as we speak...

If you mean the EU, you might be interested to know that the European Development Fund is providing assistance to countries in the Pacific, Caribbean and other places that don't usually spring to mind when talking about Europe.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it plan on being the world government?

Trust good old UK to stick a spanner in it's works. Thumbs Up

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with it being a powerful trading block in all our interests, but that is as far as it goes. Not so sure about the world government theory though...

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
They've made no secret of their plans for Africa

They'll be lucky; the Chinese are all over Africa as if they own it (and they do "own" a lot of it).

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:46 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
They'll be lucky; the Chinese are all over Africa as if they own it (and they do "own" a lot of it).

Mmm... you don't literally have to buy a country to "own" it. Somebody need to remind Trump of that.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:54 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
Also as far as the situation goes, I don't mind being Turkey being developed and moulded by European money.

The alternatives are the Chinese doing it instead, or the US finding a way to do it with jackboots and gunships.

It's all power games.

You do come out with some sh1t. Have you seen how democracy in Turkey is progressing under Erdogan, or do they feed you another agenda in China China China?

No I don't, you just don't understand global politics at all.

How did the British Empire begin? Expansion into... India?! In hindsight you probably think it was a wonderful thing, but people like you at the time will have been wailing at the waste of British money being thrown into faraway places such as that.

And do you know what China is doing now? Have you even heard of the One Belt One Road policy? A massive geographical strip between Eurasia and China is being developed entirely out of Chinese money, for Chinese gain. This includes Eastern Europe, most of the 'stan nations and a sizeable chunk of North Africa. In the latter two of those regions there are Chinese workers, factories, power plants, you name it, all over the place. And not just with small 'made in China' stamps in the corner. They're little Chinese enclaves with Chinese guards and big red Chinese writing above the gate.

The EU's dealings with Turkey have absolute fuck all to do with how democratic that country is on any given day, and everything to do with joining in with the power games that are happening around the middle east.

Now ask yourself, which global entity would you prefer to have control of that region, if you were forced to choose one.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

You do come out with some sh1t. Have you seen how democracy in Turkey is progressing under Erdogan, or do they feed you another agenda in China China China?

No I don't, you just don't understand global politics at all.

How did the British Empire begin? Expansion into... India?! In hindsight you probably think it was a wonderful thing, but people like you at the time will have been wailing at the waste of British money being thrown into faraway places such as that.

And do you know what China is doing now? Have you even heard of the One Belt One Road policy? A massive geographical strip between Eurasia and China is being developed entirely out of Chinese money, for Chinese gain. This includes Eastern Europe, most of the 'stan nations and a sizeable chunk of North Africa. In the latter two of those regions there are Chinese workers, factories, power plants, you name it, all over the place. And not just with small 'made in China' stamps in the corner. They're little Chinese enclaves with Chinese guards and big red Chinese writing above the gate.

The EU's dealings with Turkey have absolute fuck all to do with how democratic that country is on any given day, and everything to do with joining in with the power games that are happening around the middle east.

Now ask yourself, which global entity would you prefer to have control of that region, if you were forced to choose one.

Would you rather have sex with your mum or your dad, if you were forced to choose one? Rolling Eyes

OMG you're so screwed up, you want to sleep with your [Mum] / [Dad].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

The could try this one, like 'Europe's most powerful nation' did in the 1940's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantropa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
inane waffle

at a time where Turkey is turning more and more secular and less Westernised.

Do you even know what secular means?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

hume
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:32 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I doubt things would have been overly different whichever government was in power, ultimately it's just straight forward globalization in action, some industries in the UK gained, some lost, predominently heavy industries. The larger longer term issue, is the lack of majority or wholly owned british organisations, so when these organisations need to retrench, they move to the lowest cost based economy with the highest return on investment, or, their 'home' country, where they are more likely to receive state support. Alas capitalism in action. I have no qualms about industries being nationalised, but to be honest, will that make them any better? Take rail for instance, it's still largely dictated as to how it's run by the dft, and, when the east coast mainline was taken back from the franchisee the last couple of times, it has been well received and by all accounts well run, still hasn't stopped another operator of the franchise taking over. Then you have British Airways, which has, gone from strength to strength,since being privatised, and, it effectively also owns Iberia (Spain's flag carrier), Vueling, Aer Lingus (Ireland's flag carrier) and others. However, as much as I don't particularly like Boris, I'm afraid I'd take his conservative party over a Corbyn labour party any day, no matter what Corbyn might promise

Well said.

hume
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:01 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
MCN wrote:
You corn-fed cunt.

Get tae fuck out of the grown-up's thread.

Ahhh, is nobody giving you enough attention anymore? There there...

Easy-X wrote:

I was going to say! If you read the history there's also the poor management that persisted - nay, was encouraged - all the way through nationalisation to collapse. Plenty of blame to go around Wink Classic example of how we're actually not very good at such things.

Well, according to the Communist Party led union, it was all the management's fault for not letting them run the business.

Quote:
British Leyland was the result of a series of mergers between different British motor vehicle manufacturers. By 1975, Robinson was the union convener of the Longbridge plant in Birmingham, having worked his way up from the shop floor to serve as the deputy of the previous convenor, Dick Etheridge, a fellow member of the Communist Party.[5]

With his network of representatives in the 42 different Leyland plants around the country, he led a long-running campaign of strikes around the company which he argued were in protest at mismanagement.

So this was in 1975. When did Leyland go under?

Quote:
In 1975, British Leyland became bankrupt and was nationalised by the Government.

Ah, the same year the unions tried to take over and forced a 42 plant wide series of strikes. Must just be bad management for not letting the Communist led unions run the company then.

This this and more of this.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6