Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Camper vans in the North of Scotland

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:31 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Camper vans in the North of Scotland Reply with quote

Things are starting to get rediculous. It's like some sort of zombie apocalypse. with the North Coast 500 as the epicentre of the infection.

I was up North at the weekend and even on the Ardnamurchan peninsula, the roads were swarming with rental camper vans being piloted by people who had no idea how to drive them. I've never seen so many of them out and about.

Being stuck behind one for mile after mile of single track road with passing places is bad enough. However on two occasions there was a "Mexican stand off" between our group of bikes and an oncoming camper van.

Having had to get off the bike to explain to them that a luggaged up sports tourer weighs 300kg and has no reverse gear, they then displayed that they were incapable fo reversing the thing 10metres in a straight line to get to a wider bit of the road so we could pass. A straight line mind, not uphill or round a corner or anything.

I think it's past time the rental companies started taking some responsability for the competancy of the people they let drive these things or at least for providing some training on how single track roads work. I'm going to start complaining on the rental companies reviews if I experience much more of this.

Either that or there need to be some high profile prosecutions for inconsiderate driving. Especially for the not pulling in to let vehicles pass thing. Being unable to reverse is just plain run-of-the-mill incompetant. Driving at 25-30mph and not pulling across to allow following trasffic to clear for 10, 15 or even 20 miles is plain criminal (legally as well as morally).

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:07 - 28 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the same recently. The refusal to pull in to allow overtakes gives me genuine rage. There's proposals to introduce a toll for larger vehicles but I'm not convinced it'll make.much difference as it'll be difficult to enforce and people will just factor that into the cost of their trip. A lot of them are foreign drivers and it's not exactly a cheap trip to begin with.

I'll be raging if they decide the solution is to widen the roads.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:57 - 28 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys in our bike club have pretty much decided to upload any dashcam footage of "white elephants" being driven in an inconsiderate matter then link them to the social media feeds of the rental companies.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 31 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I done the NC500 the other week there and was saying the same thing. Never seen so many VWs.

I got in a standoff just the 2 times, but mainly found that they thought that I would just be able to squeeze by them on the single track; rather than pulling in for me. I just made sure to make myself big, by staying in the centre of the road. They generally took the hint.

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:15 - 01 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got back from a 3 week tour of Scotland in the car. I was prepared for the midges and the weather but no one warned me about the campervans!

Pretty much every parking spot was littered with them and they're a nightmare to overtake. Couldn't stop in a lot of laybys to appreciate the view and take a quick picture because they had been turned into campsites.

I didn't drive all the way north but Skye was particularly bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 01 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I drive my campervan/motorhome, granted haven't been to the north of Scotland in it yet, but, I don't really recognise any of the issues you mention, just finished touring around Devon, Cornwall and the Forest of Dean in ours. It easily keeps to the nsl, and, most of my hold ups were being stuck behind other cars, trucks or farm vehicles. As for overtaking them, for the most part, the aren't appreciably wider than a car, and, not much longer than an estate, so, I can't see what the issue there is. I've overtaken plenty before in both the car and on the bike. I've even been up to the Ponderosa in the camper, and, again, didn't seem to cause much if any issue with any of the bikes around.

I don't want to make it political, however, 'staycations' are becoming increasingly common, since the whole brexit saga kicked off, not blaming brexit directly, it may be a coincidence, but there does appear to be some correlation. My biggest problem with the increase in staycations, is pitch prices are going up as well Sad

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 01 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Well, I drive my campervan/motorhome, granted haven't been to the north of Scotland in it yet, but, I don't really recognise any of the issues you mention, just finished touring around Devon, Cornwall and the Forest of Dean in ours. It easily keeps to the nsl, and, most of my hold ups were being stuck behind other cars, trucks or farm vehicles. As for overtaking them, for the most part, the aren't appreciably wider than a car, and, not much longer than an estate, so, I can't see what the issue there is. I've overtaken plenty before in both the car and on the bike. I've even been up to the Ponderosa in the camper, and, again, didn't seem to cause much if any issue with any of the bikes around.

I don't want to make it political, however, 'staycations' are becoming increasingly common, since the whole brexit saga kicked off, not blaming brexit directly, it may be a coincidence, but there does appear to be some correlation. My biggest problem with the increase in staycations, is pitch prices are going up as well :-(

The problem is the bulk of the roads in that area of Scotland are proper single track. These are not normal roads. There is not enough space for a bike to pass a car in many areas due to the narrow width of the road. Add lots of drivers who are not experienced on that sort of road, particularly when they are driving larger vehicles than they are not used to and you end up with lots of slow moving vehicles which you cannot pass. This is then compounded by the fact that these drivers do not stop in passing places to allow you to pass and do not stop in passing places when other vehicles are oncoming, nor are they able to reverse the camper vans they are not used to driving. It's not just little transporter sized vans either, there are lots of proper motorhomes up there.

Camper vans themselves aren't the problem. It's inexperienced drivers driving in a discourteous manner on roads their vehicle often isn't suited to. And there are lots of them. Also the roads there are not designed for the level of traffic now running over them and are becoming damaged.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 01 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

I dunno...if they made it all a proper 2 lane single carriageway, I reckon it might be better. You'd get a better speed up and the road would still be twisty enough to be fun.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 01 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

The problem is the bulk of the roads in that area of Scotland are proper single track. These are not normal roads. There is not enough space for a bike to pass a car in many areas due to the narrow width of the road. Add lots of drivers who are not experienced on that sort of road

Very similar to the roads around Cornwall & Devon, single track with passing places, perhaps it is partly down to inexperience on the driver's side, and, on occasion I have backed up into passing places, only for car drivers to still hang back when a bus could get through.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:30 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Blue wrote:
kgm wrote:

I dunno...if they made it all a proper 2 lane single carriageway, I reckon it might be better. You'd get a better speed up and the road would still be twisty enough to be fun.

There're other roads like that to ride. I have no trouble making progress on the single track and I go there because it's more technical and demanding. I love riding single track.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Very similar to the roads around Cornwall & Devon, single track with passing places, perhaps it is partly down to inexperience on the driver's side, and, on occasion I have backed up into passing places, only for car drivers to still hang back when a bus could get through.

Exactly it - inexperienced drivers. Half of them are rentals. The trouble is that there are so many of them. Hordes of them. I get frustrated by them during s few visits a year, I can't imagine how the locals must feel.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1