Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

125s on motorway

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

scottyr6scoot...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:28 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: 125s on motorway Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone knows if it's legal to ride a 125cc on the motorway?

I have a full license and always thought it was 250cc minimum but I've heard 125 is legal?

Thanks

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: 125s on motorway Reply with quote

scottyr6scooter wrote:
Hi,

I have a full license and always thought it was 250cc minimum but I've heard 125 is legal?

Thanks

125 is legal on the motorway assuming you have the requisite licence.

I really wouldn’t want to do it myself though, not for more than a few miles.

My YBR will do a steady 60mph, but it’s on the stop with nothing left to give. The wailing sound of that tiny piston thrashing up and down is very tiring.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/motorways-253-to-273

Quote:
Prohibited vehicles. Motorways MUST NOT be used by pedestrians, holders of provisional motorcycle or car licences, riders of motorcycles under 50 cc, cyclists, horse riders, certain slow-moving vehicles and those carrying oversized loads (except by special permission), agricultural vehicles, and powered wheelchairs/powered mobility scooters (see Rules 36 to 46 inclusive).

You can ride a 125 on the motorway

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: 125s on motorway Reply with quote

scottyr6scooter wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

No 50cc bikes on the motorway AFAIK. 125 is legal if you have at least an A1 licence but I wouldn't recommend it unless it cruises at 70 comfortably.

<addendum> BCF replies... they're like buses Smile

scottyr6scoot...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:40 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

And don't worry I wasn't planning on riding the length of the m1 😆

Just nice to know I don't have to plan a route avoiding motorway 👍

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can, once you've passed your A1 or .. above test. I've ridden a few 125's on the motorway, especially the M6 between Wolves & Birmingham. Then again, in rush hour you're lucky to get above 40 on the M6 at the best of times. But, yeah, if your bike will relatively comfortably do 60, then the motorway will be fine, afteral, most lorries etc, will most probably be doing no more than 60 tops anyhow.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: 125s on motorway Reply with quote

scottyr6scooter wrote:

You need to re-visit your Highway Code. Knowledge of it and road traffic law is a requirement of having a licence.

scottyr6scoot...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:57 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: 125s on motorway Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
scottyr6scooter wrote:

You need to re-visit your Highway Code. Knowledge of it and road traffic law is a requirement of having a licence.

Thanks for the advice. I do try to read the highway code most nights before bedtime but must have missed the section about 125s

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: 125s on motorway Reply with quote

scottyr6scooter wrote:
I do try to read the highway code most nights before bedtime but must have missed the section about 125s

There isn't one. Sleep tight.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:33 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: 125s on motorway Reply with quote

scottyr6scooter wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I do try to read the highway code most nights before bedtime but must have missed the section about 125s

Rule 253. The very first rule in the Motorways section . Rolling Eyes

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do use motorway's on my MSX125 if I need to but I experienced (passed test in 1973 and ridden ever since )

It is not hard, dominate the inside lane and be prepared to dive on the shoulder !

Don't run to the left of the lane or some prat will try to share the lane !

Will be doing this Friday as I use the M4 and M48 to cross the Seven on way to Ireland !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:
I do use motorway's on my MSX125. . .

Shocked

Of all the 125s I can't think of a more alarming bike to ride on a motorway, just because of it's size! Well, maybe a monkey bike . . .

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it interesting ! but ok if IF ! you pay attention to what is around you and OK I well trained as well as experienced former IAM observer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:50 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: 125s on motorway Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
scottyr6scooter wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

No 50cc bikes on the motorway AFAIK. 125 is legal if you have at least an A1 licence but I wouldn't recommend it unless it cruises at 70 comfortably.

<addendum> BCF replies... they're like buses Smile

No Motorcyles UNDER 50CC.

Most *Mopeds are under 50cc at most 49cc.
This is to categorise them as under 50cc.

*Motorcycles that can also be powered by pedaling the fitted pedals.
So todays 'Ped Bois' do not in fact use Mopeds. They use Scooters i.e. no pedals fitted.
I hate how people just decide to homoginise technical terms.

OP

A 125 on a motorway is fine. It should be just able to make 67-70 if not overloaded and the rider is not 17 stone. A bit slower with a pillion/**pillock on the back.

**Pillock- From the Scandahooligan word for penis Pilicok

Stay out of the overtaking lane/s as much as possible to avoid being smitten/smoted.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:
Yes it interesting ! but ok if IF ! you pay attention to what is around you and OK I well trained as well as experienced former IAM observer

Are they stable at speed? I imagine with little wheels they're quite "agile"?! Yeah, it's all about observation and like you say, dominating your lane. Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
davebike wrote:

Are they stable at speed? I imagine with little wheels they're quite "agile"?! Yeah, it's all about observation and like you say, dominating your lane. Thumbs Up

They are fine at speed.

They do get blowed aboot a bit in blustery winds or if you allow an artic to pass or some prick/wanna-be Pikey towing a caravan.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:08 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea you have to be able to maintain 70mph on the motorway is utter nonsense.

I take my enfield 350 bullet on the motorway with a trailer on. Maximum legal (and realistically achievable) speed for that is 60mph. Drops to 50 or even 45 on steep hills.

Motorway is just about the safest place for that. There are plenty of wagons doing 50-55-ish, some slowing to 45 on steep hills. It's easy for them to pass you because there are multiple lanes.

I avoid motorways on slow bikes because it's boring, not because it's difficult or risky.

The only place I ever struggle sometimes is if there is a motorway split and I need to get into lane 3 to stay on (there are a couple like that on the M6, lanes 1 and 2 go one way, lanes 3 and 4 go the other). That said, a clear and early indication of what you're doing usually works. On the whole wagon drivers are very attentive and helpful.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
On the whole wagon drivers are very attentive and helpful.

I have the utmost respect for wagon drivers. Show them courtesy and you generally get loads back in return. Just little things like anticipating their overtakes and moving across to let them smoothly move out etc. - then you get a friendly flash/indicator blip - feel good vibes on a long motorway journey makes such journeys more bearable Laughing

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also ridden on the motorway plenty of times with a CG125 and have never had an issue. Agree that it's pretty boring though and can get uncomfortable.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:57 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a suzuki en125 and I can get about 58mph out of it.
I still take it on the motorway.

It's really not an issue if you don't mind going at a steady pace.
For example my dad is a car driver and he wont go above 50mph. You will find there are plenty of people like him on the motorways.
Also trucks are limited to 56mph unless going downhill.
So long as you stick to the left hand lane you will be fine.

Heck if you wanted to turn it into a game you could try hyper mileing or whatever it is called and get in the slipstream of a truck. Laughing

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:39 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The idea you have to be able to maintain 70mph on the motorway is utter nonsense.

I take my enfield 350 bullet on the motorway with a trailer on. Maximum legal (and realistically achievable) speed for that is 60mph. Drops to 50 or even 45 on steep hills.

Motorway is just about the safest place for that. There are plenty of wagons doing 50-55-ish, some slowing to 45 on steep hills. It's easy for them to pass you because there are multiple lanes.

Pretty much the same in a Citroen 2CV really, the 4 lane section climbing up the M62 from the Rochdale turn was no fun - 40 in second at 3 million revs or 3rd and start losing speed. Large Scania badge in rear view mirror about 3 inches behind.
So 125's on the motorway , yes , but have all your lights on and Hi vis/Dayglo if you can stand it. I would avoid 'rushhour' at dusk in the pouring rain if you can.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear I was wrong and you don't need to cruise at 70 on a motorway...

Thanks for slowing everything up and making life a misery for the rest of us Rolling Eyes

JOKING! Seriously though, I'd be happier to be in a vehicle that had a bit more "overhead" for fast travel. Personally though I found travelling up and down the A3 (almost a motorway in places) uncomfortable on a 125 not because of the seat or anything but because I had a shitty, Chinese faux-cruiser and stability wasn't its thing Smile

Regardless of engine size I'm most comfortable on bikes where, if all the traffic is rolling along at say 60mph, that you get the feeling you're gliding through some sort of time warp. The actual speed is irrelevant but the relative speed between the vehicles is <5mph it's a weird feeling of... null? Sign of a nice, stable bike Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:30 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A surprisingly large amount of motorway traffic is doing less than 50mph.

I once rode a totally stock-standard Cub 90 from Preston to Carlisle on the M6 and used lane 3 twice. Passed quite a few things. Including cars.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive ridden my honda msx 125cc on the motorway from london to scotland twice and loads of other motorway journeys

bike was fine however i had down geared mine so the revs at 60mph were lower than stock

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.statista.com/statistics/303425/average-speed-on-motorways-in-the-uk/

Average Vehicle Speeds on UK roads.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2