Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Starter solenoid just clicks/ starting issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:56 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Starter solenoid just clicks/ starting issues Reply with quote

Hey guys, just looking for some opinions on what this issue may be with my bike, its a 1999 Yamaha Diversion 600. The issue is that when i try start the bike, what seems to happen is the starter solenoid just makes a clicking sound but doesn't turn the actual engine over. This doesn't happen constantly, usually the bike starts fine in the morning and when i come to it after work but after that its anyone guess weather it will start or not, it always bump starts first time if the solenoid doesn't want to work. occasionally just leaving the bike for a few minutes will cause it to start normally but not always. The battery must still have a charge as all the lights/indicators work at the usual brightness even when the starter wont fire so i know the battery cant be completely dead. Ive already replaced the rectifier/regulator and the solenoid its self so i know that those two components are fine, i havent got a multimeter to test the battery at the moment so im unsure if it is that or not.

If anybody knows what i could check or what i should try replace next it would be a big help. If anyone needs any more info or would like me to clear something up then please ask! Thanks very much
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:16 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's not starting on the button, you could try bypassing the solenoid to see if the motor turns. This will discount the solenoid as a potential problem.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:28 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
When it's not starting on the button, you could try bypassing the solenoid to see if the motor turns. This will discount the solenoid as a potential problem.

Yep, tried this just now and no difference. as i said, the solenoid is brand new today and the issue hasnt changed but tried bypassing it anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is the battery and what's its condition (I mean Amps/the ability to spin the crankshaft, not Volts)? Also, have you cleaned the starter button lately? Is the kill switch (any of them) in alright working order?

Bypassing the solenoid means you put direct power from the battery into the starter, so it should spin/even start, if do do this. If it doesn't start, I'd say the starter motor is either stuck, or it needs a fresh set of motor brushes.

You could knock the starter motor loose, if that's the issue. The handle of a big screw driver should do the trick. Don't use a hammer or any metal tools to knock metal on metal, you'll chip whatever you're hitting.

ALSO, check your earth points. The starter motor earth point would be the first one to check, as I do know for sure, there must be a place, where the starter motor is grounded.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:43 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked to see if the brushes can be removed and if they need replacing?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Nobby's right. It's the starter motor. Remove it and disassemble. It will probably look pretty bad, full of carbon dust. Clean up the commutator with wire wool, replace the brushes and bearing.

The big moto parts dealer beginning with W does a kit - this is the one I used, some time ago. A bit overpriced, but it has everything you need but you might not need everything in there. You will probably get away with just the backing plate that holds the brushes (the one that has the copper brazed on) if you can find it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:15 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To discount a bad earth, put a jump lead directly to the battery earth and starter, thwn ry it again.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:35 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my starter re-done - 'bushes n brushes' ( and a commutator skim) by a local auto elctrical place for about 45 notes. A bargain I thought , it is their bread and butter.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the brushes, then it's a piss easy job. No need to pay anyone. The brushes are also a generic part (only the size matters). Use contact cleaner and a nice clean cloth to clean the rotor where the brushes brush on it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the battery out and charge it Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:38 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

So, are yiu suggesting that either the battery or the charging system is the cause of an intermittent starting issue?

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

This.

The recent drop in temperature has affected the battery on my bike as well

Always have a 'Plan B'

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:24 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

This.

The recent drop in temperature has affected the battery on my bike as well

But it works when cold but not when it's warm...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:38 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe read the original post befor posting?

adengtg wrote:
This doesn't happen constantly, usually the bike starts fine in the morning and when i come to it after work but after that its anyone guess weather it will start or not, it always bump starts first time if the solenoid doesn't want to work.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but if the battery doesn't chuck out enough power to the starter the sprag clutch won't engage.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:42 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Just a thought but if the battery doesn't chuck out enough power to the starter the sprag clutch won't engage.

So, when the battery is cold in the morning but it works, how is charging it going to work when it's warm?

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Maybe read the original post befor posting?

adengtg wrote:
This doesn't happen constantly, usually the bike starts fine in the morning and when i come to it after work but after that its anyone guess weather it will start or not, it always bump starts first time if the solenoid doesn't want to work.

Don't be such a cunt....

If the OP has yet to test the battery or replace it you are going to look a real dick if it proves to be that item

Always have a 'Plan B'

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:49 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:

Don't be such a cunt....

It's Mr Bastard, not Mr Cunt, darling.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Fizzer Thou wrote:

Don't be such a cunt....

It's Mr Bastard, not Mr Cunt, darling.

Too pear of fuckers. /\

Does the starter motor turn the engine over via a clutch?

I'm not near a pc and not searching t' Internet for the schematic on a phone.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:00 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call it the starting triangle. The vehicle won't start. Is it the starter, is it the battery , is it the charging system?

The first thing to isolate is the charging system, if charging the battery makes it start, it could be the charging. Does it then start in the morning...... If yes it's the charging system( battery was flat -now good) , if no then it's probably the battery ( battery was charged - now flat) . Charge it up again , leave it overnight , if it's always flat in the morning it's the battery. Then and only then start looking at the starter. Without a known good charged battery , you haven't anything to check it with anyway. Short the solenoid connections (Careful) if it goes, it's the solenoid , if not it's the starter motor itself.

Probably.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1