Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 444, 445, 446 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the way this is going. People who voted remain have feelings too Crying or Very sad
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:42 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Ignoring the irrelevance that is sovereignty of the British Isles, how exactly is a European superstate going to arse fuck the typical British gammon?

The rules would be, in the majority, being made by foreigners.

You been to Europe? Did you feel totally comfortable with how things are done and that you understood the workings of their social, cultural and administrative norms? Did you feel that the actions of daily life were carried out in the same way to your own?

I know I don't. They feel like foreign countries and only by living in one for a protracted period would I gain an understanding of how their society works. I have to learn about them, I probably cause offence multiple times. They do not do things in the same way we do (or each other do) and having rules made to suit one culture means they probably do not suit my culture. You could argue the rules made by the EU suit all members equally badly? However I'd answer that by saying I have the option of having rules made by a government that suits my country as perfectly as can be achieved.

Examples include which side of the road we drive on, what language we speak, the measurement system we use, conventions on how we drive (what does a headlight flash mean?).

French people think we're rude because we don't say good morning to the shopkeeper when we go in. We think German people are rude because they walk straight to the front of a queue and demand service. French people cannot and will not stand religion being involved in government, Germans all have to pay a church tax and close the roads to HGVs on a Sunday.

Centrally made rules for a divergent population will be a compromise. Too much of one for my liking.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Diggs wrote:
I don't like the way this is going. People who voted remain have feelings too Crying or Very sad

Feelings of not accepting losing a democratic vote? We'd never have noticed.

What we have here is a minority forcing their views on the majority, even though a democratic vote has already been decided. That's fascism and it's rife in Remain lefties.

https://oncewrittensite.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/ut-protest.jpg

Can you try for once to not post something offensive to people who don't share your views?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:00 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
What we have here is a minority forcing their views on the majority, even though a democratic vote has already been decided. That's fascism and it's rife in Remain lefties.

https://oncewrittensite.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/ut-protest.jpg

What you have there are anti-Trump protesters marching along Lavaca Street in Austin, Texas, on Wednesday the 9th of November 2016.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In more relevant news, the Court of Session has ruled that the proroguing of parliament is unlawful.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49661855

Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
In more relevant news, the Court of Session has ruled that the proroguing of parliament is unlawful.

"Illegal" due to attempt to prevent parliamentary examination of the executive.

Proroguation is not suspended. The Supreme Court will hear the appeal on Tuesday 17th.

Judgment in the "Miller 2" case will be published at noon today, which will be interesting.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

You could argue the rules made by the EU suit all members equally badly? However I'd answer that by saying I have the option of having rules made by a government that suits my country as perfectly as can be achieved.

Examples include which side of the road we drive on, what language we speak, the measurement system we use, conventions on how we drive (what does a headlight flash mean?).

Ok, well, let's look at this ..

Measurement, we should have gone 100% metric years ago, it makes sence, it's logical, what's not to like about it.

Language - last I'd seen, there was no european mandate stating french can no longer spoken, or english, or welsh, or spanish ....., in fact, areas such as say, air traffic control, english is the only language that should be legally used, that's not an eu directive either.

Side of the road, again, the UK hasn't been told to change, and neither has Malta, Cyprus or Eire?

stinkwheel wrote:

Centrally made rules for a divergent population will be a compromise. Too much of one for my liking.

I wonder how the scots, welsh and northern irish feel about Westminster? Or even the cornish, seeing as they seem to want independence as well at times

Alot of what you say, can be equally applied to the different countries of the UK without having to go anywhere you need to show a passport. How well do you understand Welsh, or even, a strong scottish, geordie accent etc. Or how about the quirky even within different regions within the UK as a whole.

Personally, anything that makes trade and movement as seamless and as easy as possible is best, it would be good 1 day to have a global currency, no faffing about with currency exchanges etc, obviously, that will never happen. As for being part of a european superstate, meh, unlikely to effect most of us on a daily basis.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

What you have there are anti-Trump protesters marching along Lavaca Street in Austin, Texas, on Wednesday the 9th of November 2016.

You can't expect Terry to properly research his material

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:50 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

His name is not Terry.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
His name is not Terry.

Perhaps not, but he seems to fit a certain Viz character quite well

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Then you're backing the wrong horse.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

"useful idiots."

AKA the middle class.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

God bless the British Empire...

What kind of a meaningless comment is that? Is that supposed to make me lose all my patriotism and opt for a foreign culture in my own homeland? Laughing
Not only a foreign culture, but one that has no roots anywhere, and is failing, and, mark my words, will fail? Actually getting Brexit will only make it fail more quickly, but it's doomed anyway. And those that back it will be left wondering what went wrong Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Laughing

BoJo Corp will just push pull it through the UK court and drag it out as ling as they can.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Then you're backing the wrong horse.

Its not a race I want to be gambling on full stop. Trouble is the longer all this goes on, the more devisive it becomes and I predict civil unrest when Parliament reconvenes.

If you believe all the stereotypes, it could end up with one side throwing hummus and the other tins of Carling. I don't believe the stereotypes personally, but some seem to...

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Ignoring the irrelevance that is sovereignty of the British Isles, how exactly is a European superstate going to arse fuck the typical British gammon?

You been to Europe? Did you feel totally comfortable with how things are done and that you understood the workings of their social, cultural and administrative norms? Did you feel that the actions of daily life were carried out in the same way to your own?

I know I don't. They feel like foreign countries and only by living in one for a protracted period would I gain an understanding of how their society works. I have to learn about them, I probably cause offence multiple times. They do not do things in the same way we do (or each other do) and having rules made to suit one culture means they probably do not suit my culture. You could argue the rules made by the EU suit all members equally badly? However I'd answer that by saying I have the option of having rules made by a government that suits my country as perfectly as can be achieved.

French people think we're rude because we don't say good morning to the shopkeeper when we go in. We think German people are rude because they walk straight to the front of a queue and demand service. French people cannot and will not stand religion being involved in government, Germans all have to pay a church tax and close the roads to HGVs on a Sunday.

Cant wait for a decent reply from nobby to this
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Its not a race I want to be gambling on full stop.

But we both are. You have taken one side of the argument, and I the other. Neither of us know exactly what will happen, in detail.

Quote:
Trouble is the longer all this goes on, the more devisive it becomes and I predict civil unrest when Parliament reconvenes.

The divisiveness is already cemented in stone. It cannot be repaired, because the two poles aren't reconcilable. It's like having two pieces from two different jigsaw puzzles. My prediction is that the nationalist 'populist' movement will continue to grow, because the globalist movement that currently holds the power hasn't got, isn't even attempting to find answers to their grievances, precisely because they currently hold the power. For now.

Quote:
If you believe all the stereotypes, it could end up with one side throwing hummus and the other tins of Carling. I don't believe the stereotypes personally, but some seem to...

I think using the stereotype argument is just playing with words. Another distraction. And by saying "some seem to...", haven't you just used one? Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:19 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I suppose it's exactly like the problems the Welsh have, what with their different language.

My less flippant response is thats exactly why we should engage and find a compromise that suits all the people involved. The US and the USSR/Russian confederation seems to be able to manage it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

My less flippant response

Seriously mate, you really should take your meds Razz

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I think using the stereotype argument is just playing with words. Another distraction. And by saying "some seem to...", haven't you just used one? Laughing

For comedic effect, duly qualified... Saying that, if I get down to London and MDMA throws his lager tin at me I may well return fire with a carefully aimed hummus and grated carrot sarnie Laughing

What I can't understand is where this 'nationalism' is going. I fully appreciate the desire to pull back from globalism and this is inevitable given that we will be returning to local food sources, industries etc in the future. Does this mean that brexiteers are really closet Green Party voters but they just don't realise it yet? Perhaps I should be making a banner declaring them all to be tree-hugging soap-dodgers?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 444, 445, 446 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 445 of 523