Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Entry into the USA after previous short term entry.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:15 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Entry into the USA after previous short term entry. Reply with quote

Hola.

Basically short version is the easiest.

Flew to Canada 26th June, travelled by land to Buffalo on 1st July. Returned same day (had paper slip stapled in passport, handed back to Canadian border same day, day trip to wings and mall place)

Stamp in password, 1/7/19, WT 28/9/19.

I'm heading back to USA on 27th September.

I believe I'll be ok, especially as I only stayed one day, but anyone have any experience of that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Mexican border method, the liberal fucktard Democrats will welcome you with open arms, just tell hem you have suckled on the tits of Hillary and worshiped the black as moron Obomba. That should do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Entry into the USA after previous short term entry. Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you'd need a visa if the trip's more than a few days Thinking

If they're in any way upset with you they'll let you know after you've made the application.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:05 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Try the Mexican border method, the liberal fucktard Democrats will welcome you with open arms, just tell hem you have suckled on the tits of Hillary and worshiped the black as moron Obomba. That should do.

All of which seem better than sucking on the cocks of far right religious extremists.

Prefer the centre of the road myself.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:36 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Entry into the USA after previous short term entry. Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I'm pretty sure you'd need a visa if the trip's more than a few days Thinking

He should still be fine with an ESTA, (lasts 2 years and allows up to 90 days at a time)

Personally I would contact the American embassy in London and ask them if there would be a problem.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 23:56 - 25 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ESTA gets reset each time you leave .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:17 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave2k wrote:

It's more the I-94 I had to use to get into the States from Canada. They stamped passport for the 90 days (visitor stay length etc) and now I'm due to go back a day before that stamp expires. That's my boggle.

I'm sure all will be well Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfffft, I got in and out for my honeymoon with an undeclared criminal record. I tried to do it by the numbers but
couldn't get an embassy appointment to have my "I'm a reformed criminal honest guv'nor" chat, neither here
in London or in the Irish american Embassy despite many attempts to try and make it happen in time so I just winged it.
Was shitting it a bit, since by trying so many times to do things properly I felt like I had put myself on their radar somewhat.
But no, I went through US customs and immigration twice on that trip too, once at O'hare and again in Honolulu, over a month
long visit. It would seem apparent that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. That's my experience. Didn't tell
Canada fuck all when I went there either, ended up getting prosecuted for speeding in a National park on that trip. Laughing

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:08 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy.
Have you got an esta or not ?
Thumbs Up You'll be fine.
Thumbs Down Get one pdq or you'll not be.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:18 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanitise your phone before going through passport control.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/9kxmay/banned-from-us-10-years-cocaine-text-messages

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:13 - 28 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Sanitise your phone before going through passport control.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/9kxmay/banned-from-us-10-years-cocaine-text-messages

Always carry 2 Laughing one has a worldwide SIM that has data only and no apps, just maps and chrome. Other is in luggage. Safer that way Laughing

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:47 - 29 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to BCF you're probably confused as fuck now. Laughing

The facts:
ESTA lasts two years, does not expire after one trip. Two years means two years.

You can stay in the US using the VWP system for up to 90 days at a time, no visa required. You are very unlikely to be issued a tourist visa unless you are old, doing business without doing business (don't ask, it's a minefield), or old enough to be dead.

You may return any time thereafter within the two year ESTA period.
It is recommended that you spend longer out of the US than you spend in it. For example, I used to aim at 88 days in the US and more than 90 out of it before returning.
(Edit: You spent one day in the US, rule of thumb says that you're ok after two days have passed since that visit. Spend more than six months in the US in any one year and the IRS might want to look into your tax affairs. )

You may renew your ESTA when it expires, nobody's head will explode.

Come visit me if you're headed to the nice bit of Florida.

Last edited by mentalboy on 02:07 - 29 Aug 2019; edited 1 time in total

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:55 - 29 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Pfffft, I got in and out for my honeymoon with an undeclared criminal record. I tried to do it by the numbers but
couldn't get an embassy appointment to have my "I'm a reformed criminal honest guv'nor" chat, neither here
in London or in the Irish american Embassy despite many attempts to try and make it happen in time so I just winged it.
Was shitting it a bit, since by trying so many times to do things properly I felt like I had put myself on their radar somewhat.
But no, I went through US customs and immigration twice on that trip too, once at O'hare and again in Honolulu, over a month
long visit. It would seem apparent that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. That's my experience. Didn't tell
Canada fuck all when I went there either, ended up getting prosecuted for speeding in a National park on that trip. Laughing

Amnesia is always the best policy for all of life's previous misdemeanours when it comes to foreign travel. Wink

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:00 - 29 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Wave2k wrote:

It's more the I-94 I had to use to get into the States from Canada. They stamped passport for the 90 days (visitor stay length etc) and now I'm due to go back a day before that stamp expires. That's my boggle.

I'm sure all will be well Laughing

Your ESTA does not get reset, it's valid for two years.

You should have been stamped back out as well, check here for history, it should have the length of stay in the US

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 23:27 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esta has nothing to do with visiting by land, you only need it for air travel, the only advantage it brings you when crossing the land border is you don't have to fill out a landing/customs card when you enter. So forget about that.

What you had was an I94 visitor visa, it allows you 90 days in the US but you can keep renewing it, I have one pretty much permanently but have to renew it every 90 days as I cross back and forth over the Canada/US border weekly for the last 3.5 years, I spend about 250 days a year in the States and it's perfectly legal as long as they know why. The 90 day limit is on each visit.

You have done everything right, you handed it back in to Canada customs. When you next cross to the US you won't have an I94 in your passport so you'll need a new one, doesn't matter if you cross before or after that old one expired, you get a new one regardless, you'll have to go inside and renew it, they'll give you another one for 6 bucks and it'll expire in another 90 days time from the date you cross. All is good.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:23 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
Esta has nothing to do with visiting by land, you only need it for air travel, the only advantage it brings you when crossing the land border is you don't have to fill out a landing/customs card when you enter. So forget about that.

What you had was an I94 visitor visa, it allows you 90 days in the US but you can keep renewing it, I have one pretty much permanently but have to renew it every 90 days as I cross back and forth over the Canada/US border weekly for the last 3.5 years, I spend about 250 days a year in the States and it's perfectly legal as long as they know why. The 90 day limit is on each visit.

You have done everything right, you handed it back in to Canada customs. When you next cross to the US you won't have an I94 in your passport so you'll need a new one, doesn't matter if you cross before or after that old one expired, you get a new one regardless, you'll have to go inside and renew it, they'll give you another one for 6 bucks and it'll expire in another 90 days time from the date you cross. All is good.

Brits enter under the VWP scheme, our passports receive an I94 stamp which is a record of arrival and departure not a visa, it has no renewal but we won't get in easily again if we overstay the 90 limit, it may well mean something else for Canadians as you lot have different entry/exit requirements.

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 07:13 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's not technically a visa, its a paper form that's stapled in to show when we entered last to record our 90 day limit. I don't have a Canadian passport yet so still travel on my British one hence I have to get one every 90 days. You cannot overstay the 90 days at all, if you do you'll likely face big problems when you return again. However, like I say, its 90 days in one stretch not 90 days a year or anything, so you can leave on day 90, spend a day in Canada or anywhere else then return again for another 90.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
Yes, it's not technically a visa, its a paper form that's stapled in to show when we entered last to record our 90 day limit. I don't have a Canadian passport yet so still travel on my British one hence I have to get one every 90 days. You cannot overstay the 90 days at all, if you do you'll likely face big problems when you return again. However, like I say, its 90 days in one stretch not 90 days a year or anything, so you can leave on day 90, spend a day in Canada or anywhere else then return again for another 90.

Intersecting that it's a paper slip for land crossings, air entry uses a dated stamp that is put in your passport, on any random page that takes their fancy.

Whilst you can re-enter after one day out of the country, if you've done a long stay you are more than likely going to get a grilling at secondary ( where they put all the suspect entries). Once upon a time it was a common practice, now they're going to quiz you over you permanent residency location.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1