Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 507, 508, 509 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car's head gasket is slowly going kaput... have to de-pressurise coolant tank before every drive otherwise coolant pipe pops off the engine. Laughing

Car's only worth £1500 max... Is it worth £500 to replace? Thinking

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RNLI.

I've had a standing donation with them since I joined the Merchant Navy. It's not really a 'just in case' scenario because I very rarely came to UK shores but obviously I have a lot of respect for their work.

I've become more and more pissed off with them because of the way they have treated lifeboat crews - sackings because they had mugs with nude girls on.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/954778/whitby-rnli-lifeboat-men-sacked-joke-mugs-volunteers

There are other historical incidents as well, St Heliers lifeboat crew all quit over cox'n sacking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-39526414

Scarborough crew resign over sacking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-43795856

Bearing in mind these are all volunteers who risk their lives to save people this has already left a sour taste in my mouth.

Now we get this......

RNLI buys burkinis for Africans as it axes 100 UK jobs: How £3.3million of donations to lifeboat charity are spent abroad including aid for Tanzania swimmers and creches in Bangladesh

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7464961/How-3-3million-donations-RNLI-spent-abroad.html?fbclid=IwAR0la6DLGYJrtc2ikRTW_8kw_mdGUwr0VpsMPapqZQCAMdrz5l3SjvVkz0E

Those donations were made to the Royal NATIONAL Lifeboat Institution for the upkeep and use in saving lives in British waters (as we don't have a useful coastguard, but that's another rant) not for PC schemes in foreign countries. Evil or Very Mad

I have cancelled my standing order to the RNLI & e-mailed them telling them how I feel about what they are doing. I'm sure it will make no difference to them but I am bloody seething.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
(a typical "modern" tale)

Get woke, go broke.

I have donated in the past (in Cornwall they're definitely the 4th emergency service) thanks for the info Thumbs Up

Sticking with small, local charities. Fuck the big names.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:03 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone in the comments says "Make donations direct to individual lifeboat stations ie Littlehampton RNLI or Iow RNLI then the money goes to them and them only" so that might be a way to support them in a way that won't see your money being used to buy burkinis in Tanzania.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
(a typical "modern" tale)

Get woke, go broke.

I have donated in the past (in Cornwall they're definitely the 4th emergency service) thanks for the info Thumbs Up

Sticking with small, local charities. Fuck the big names.

Always worth looking at the annual reports.
Surprising how lucrative it is for a CEO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:48 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charity is big business and if you want someone good at the helm then you'll have to pay them a comparable salary to what they could elsewhere.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:50 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RNLI stuff with The Charity Commission: https://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/CharityWithPartB.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=209603&SubsidiaryNumber=0

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true Ste, however it's often people who in the case of the RNLI Chief exec who are already well heeled..they've already made their money. They'll do the job ...top up their pensions and then leave.

I guess I'm saying they're not very charitable are they.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boiler has been registered. TA DA.

https://i.imgur.com/ImK6pE4.jpg

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:19 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re head gasket failure: Remove the radiator cap. It's causing pressure problems. The whole point is to increase pressure in the system which increases the boiling point of the coolant. As long as you avoid long inclines where the engine will labour under load (increase in temperature) then you should be OK. Remember too that cylinder pressure could be seeping into the coolant system and increasing pressure. I guess it depends on the value/condition of the car and if it's worth it.
I ran a Peugeot for two years with a broken head gasket like that!

Charities: F*ckem. Support that local small group that benefits your locality. You'll know fine well you're not topping up a pension and are indeed helping your community.
I spotted the RNLI thing ages ago and it didn't surprise me. First they 'fixed' the UK and like any business they'll be aiming to expand etc. First the UK and then the world..
I once had a lot of family and friends involved with the lifeboats and saw first hand how it all worked. It's the same with all of the big charities now.
I do shop in some charity shops but only use community ones where the money supports local childrens football teams and other similar projects. Locals drop off items knowing fine well their gift will help improve their locality. I buy old cotton bed sheets and rip them up to make awesome rags for when I work on engines or painting.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Re head gasket failure: Remove the radiator cap. It's causing pressure problems. The whole point is to increase pressure in the system which increases the boiling point of the coolant. As long as you avoid long inclines where the engine will labour under load (increase in temperature) then you should be OK. Remember too that cylinder pressure could be seeping into the coolant system and increasing pressure. I guess it depends on the value/condition of the car and if it's worth it.
I ran a Peugeot for two years with a broken head gasket like that!

I am tempted to run some K-seal, but seems a shame to gunk up the system since it's recently had a new radiator/ water pump. It's a 2007 137k mile Skoda Favia VRS. Decent car but not worth much. I've done 500 odd miles since I first noticed the issue, including 2 x 120 mile motorway runs so should be ok for now...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:59 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the right hand lane approaching a big roundabout...

Scooter rider - one of those 3-wheel jobbies with the two at the front - wearing a "POLITE - Think Bike" vest Sad

Signals left and wafts into my lane without looking Shocked Then wafts back into the right hand lane.

Proceeds up the road doing 50 in a 40 zone which wouldn't be a problem except there's a bit of a hill and traffic lights the other side... chance of queuing traffic Thinking

So, neither polite nor actually a bike. Top marks Clapping

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:37 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
In the right hand lane approaching a big roundabout...

Scooter rider - one of those 3-wheel jobbies with the two at the front - wearing a "POLITE - Think Bike" vest Sad

Signals left and wafts into my lane without looking Shocked Then wafts back into the right hand lane.

Proceeds up the road doing 50 in a 40 zone which wouldn't be a problem except there's a bit of a hill and traffic lights the other side... chance of queuing traffic Thinking

So, neither polite nor actually a bike. Top marks Clapping

Wub

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
My car's head gasket is slowly going kaput... have to de-pressurise coolant tank before every drive otherwise coolant pipe pops off the engine. Laughing

Car's only worth £1500 max... Is it worth £500 to replace? Thinking

Steel seal is the way to go, its got a money back guarantee. I know 2 people that have used it and both times successfully. A friend used it on his Astra, followed instructions and BAM, no more leaking head gasket. 4 years later, still going strong.

This is a vid showing what it's all about. Obviously there will be vids that state 'no worky'. It's a money back guarantee though so may be worth a shot. It's pricey, upwards of £30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L88I0soR60w

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
The boiler has been registered. TA DA.

https://i.imgur.com/ImK6pE4.jpg

Good result - now please find out where Singhy is getting his boilers for tuppence ha'penny Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Good result - now please find out where Singhy is getting his boilers for tuppence ha'penny Wink

I think he buys in bulk. From what I gather he does about 4 a week.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

What the trolling one posted is no evidence of anything, looking at your quote. Plus ça change...

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
Just ignore him A100man, everyone else does. When he isn't getting as much attention as he thinks he deserves he'll reinvent himself again.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The RNLI.

Daily Fail inspired rant.

Their international work (which isn't hidden and is in their annual report) is only 2% of their expenditure. The crews do sterling work all around the country and save lives on a daily basis. The work they do internationally save lives - they might not be English lives but that doesn't make them any less valued.

Fortunately, donations are increasing since the Fail's article.

I'll still be donating willingly. They're one of the best charities in the country.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:10 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The c*nt my Dad is courting. She posts sh*t stuff to FB and I refuse to even acknowledge it (she's complained many times that I don't 'like' what she posts - usually dogs dancing on back legs) and in fact I block those spamming things.
They went to Ireland recently for 12 days of drinking as much as they possibly could. She grabbed Dads phone and called me at half past midnight and tried to speak - she was so bladdered she couldn't. I hung up. She kept calling and I refused to answer (using Dads phone) and because I didn't answer she let it go to voicemail and left me lots of 3 minute recordings of that drinking session - she literally left the phone on the table for me to get voicemails of it. C*nt.
Now this b*tch has already caused bother on my half sisters side of the family and I can see how.
Where's Dad in all of this? In a drink induced dementia and completely unaware of it. I'm livid and tell him so and when I do he goes all heartbroken FFS.
I love my Dad to bits but her, drink and some seriously bad behaviour is grinding some gears.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
The RNLI.

Daily Fail inspired rant.

Their international work (which isn't hidden and is in their annual report) is only 2% of their expenditure. The crews do sterling work all around the country and save lives on a daily basis. The work they do internationally save lives - they might not be English lives but that doesn't make them any less valued.

Fortunately, donations are increasing since the Fail's article.

I'll still be donating willingly. They're one of the best charities in the country.

I don't think Polar bear has an issue with the sterling work the crews are doing. Quite the opposite. I think his issue is the higher management and the detrimental effect their virtue signalling policies have on the original function of the RNLI.

I was present in a meeting the other day where committee members were asking why the diversity reporting was behind schedule and the response from that department was that they had significant staff shortages due to so many staff going on maternity leave. I managed not to laugh.
What did grind my gears though is that the steering committee really want to focus on outcomes, and not on equal opportunity and merit.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
The c*nt my Dad is courting. She posts sh*t stuff to FB and I refuse to even acknowledge it (she's complained many times that I don't 'like' what she posts - usually dogs dancing on back legs) and in fact I block those spamming things.
They went to Ireland recently for 12 days of drinking as much as they possibly could. She grabbed Dads phone and called me at half past midnight and tried to speak - she was so bladdered she couldn't. I hung up. She kept calling and I refused to answer (using Dads phone) and because I didn't answer she let it go to voicemail and left me lots of 3 minute recordings of that drinking session - she literally left the phone on the table for me to get voicemails of it. C*nt.
Now this b*tch has already caused bother on my half sisters side of the family and I can see how.
Where's Dad in all of this? In a drink induced dementia and completely unaware of it. I'm livid and tell him so and when I do he goes all heartbroken FFS.
I love my Dad to bits but her, drink and some seriously bad behaviour is grinding some gears.

Unfortunately there's no fool like an old fool and anything you might suggest will be ignored until the scales eventually fall from his eyes. Sounds like the sort that will jump from one meal ticket to the next (when the money runs out). Patient good humour is all I can advise. You have my sympathy.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Give me a shout if you need any help with disposable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:

I don't think Polar bear has an issue with the sterling work the crews are doing. Quite the opposite. I think his issue is the higher management and the detrimental effect their virtue signalling policies have on the original function of the RNLI.

I was present in a meeting the other day where committee members were asking why the diversity reporting was behind schedule and the response from that department was that they had significant staff shortages due to so many staff going on maternity leave. I managed not to laugh.
What did grind my gears though is that the steering committee really want to focus on outcomes, and not on equal opportunity and merit.

Virtue signalling? Hardly. If you want to find out what they spend the money on you have to dig or rely on a tabloid to do it for you. The 2% international spend has no detrimental affect on their original function which when it's taken at a basic level is to prevent people from drowning. In fact, it supports it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 221 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 507, 508, 509 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 508 of 698