Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Split link on chain safe on a bike with decent power?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 14 Sep 2019    Post subject: Split link on chain safe on a bike with decent power? Reply with quote

I've asked on another forum if a certain chain was suitable for my bike, the people on the other forum say that you should not use a split link on anything above a 125 and the chain should be riveted. Just looking for more of a conclusive answer if I split link is safe to use.

Bike is Triumph 1050.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 14 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one on my turbo bike *shrugs*

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother? It's not hard to rivet it.

If it's just for a short journey I wouldn't worry but I'd prefer a proper rivet long term.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:47 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many manufacturers say the split link is alright for up to 500cc 4 stroke engines. Who told you the chain on anything above a 125 has to be riveted?

Is it safe to use the split link on bigger (meaning above 500cc/45Nm) engines? No, it is not. Sure, if don't accelerate hard it will be alright even on the liter superbikes. But at some point in the future, when you decide to twist the throttle wide open and have a blast, that spit link might/will split. I have seen this before.

TL; DR: Rivet the chain on anything above 500cc, just to be safe. No special tools required.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:45 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Had one on my turbo bike *shrugs*

Must be a Zed1100 owner thing, mine ran on a split link for a while, no kittens died.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:47 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion on split links is that I had one snap a few years ago on an R6.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
My opinion on split links is that I had one snap a few years ago on an R6.

Are you getting confused and meant Bodytard's R6? Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:56 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R6 belonged to G. Laughing

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:26 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with a split link, my son has one on his cb500x,and we’re on a touring trip in Western Europe, too many scare stories about. Fit it the correct way and you can even wire it to the link if your worried.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
if don't accelerate hard it will be alright even on the liter superbikes. .

No issue on drag bikes... I think they tend to accelerate hard every time Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:10 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
you can even wire it to the link if your worried.

If you're worried about using a split link, don't use one. Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I wouldn't if I had the gear to fit a riveted one but I wouldn't overly worry if I had to fit a split link as a temporary measure.

It would probably end up like those temporary puncture repairs that are forgotten about for the life of the tyre, forgotten. Laughing

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll rivet if I can, but in a pinch I've used one on a VFR750 - Not that powerful, but is a lardy beast.

blue_painted
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but ... the power is carried from pin to pin by the side plates, not the fastening at the head of the pins, so as long as the side plates are in place why would it make any difference?

Okay, so the spring clip might break and then the side plate work off the pins ... maybe ...

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue_painted wrote:
Yeah but ... the power is carried from pin to pin by the side plates, not the fastening at the head of the pins, so as long as the side plates are in place why would it make any difference?

Okay, so the spring clip might break and then the side plate work off the pins ... maybe ...

Quite. Note that some people put the clip on the wrong way around, so it could be dislodged by a stone or some other piece of debris.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used split links on the race bikes no problem. Used to put silicon on the link to prevent stones etc hitting it and a handy visual reference to check it was ok.

OGR

blue_painted
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
blue_painted wrote:

Quite. Note that some people put the clip on the wrong way around, so it could be dislodged by a stone or some other piece of debris.

You'd have to be bastard unlucky to have that happen - give how small a target the spring clip is ... but I suppose if it can happen it will happen.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:51 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With split links remember too that some bikes use chain guides and rollers. When moving the bike backwards the clip can undo when going through a guide (have done it on a trials bike).

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue_painted wrote:

Yes the load moments are mostly in a radial direction transmitted through the pins and side plates.
But..

The pins flex under load. This allows some of the energy to migrate onto the side of the side plates.
Even though it's a small force.
It's the frequency of loading-unloading that frets the parts in contact with each other.

Continuous side plate loading will wear the spring clip and the pin retainer grooves.

Riveted links are better at coping with that side load and therefore can easily last the life of the chain's .

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Split link on chain safe on a bike with decent power? Reply with quote

Gazz wrote:
the people on the other forum say that you should not use a split link on anything above a 125

That's bollocks.

I've been using split links on 250's for decades.

Also using Split links on my CBF500, however the split links now need a special tool to compress.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use it as a rule of thumb for up to a 500cc, above that I would not use one myself, but there again I now have a shaft drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:44 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Use it as a rule of thumb for up to a 500cc, above that I would not use one myself, but there again I now have a shaft drive.

Can you stop referring to my penis as your shaft drive?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:47 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, all jokes aside...

Ive fitted split pins on bikes as a temporary measure only to discover that the crocodile clip is missing entirely when I've gone to replace the chain.....

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 27 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Skudd wrote:

Can you stop referring to my penis as your shaft drive?

I actually don't think he can any more. I do remember a time when I honestly thought he could. Alas, and indeed alack, I fear the habit has become far too engrained. I therefore offer an alternative suggestion: You embrace this quirk of character and learn to think of it as a term of endearment - perhaps even a badge of honour.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:24 - 28 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always get bodytard to weld your splitlink Thumbs Up while he's there he could do your sprocket as well for extra security Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2