Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New biker and 1st big bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

RederOr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:05 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: New biker and 1st big bike Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm doing DAS. Initially I was thinking about buying a brand new bike but then I realised that it is a bad idea as I'm very unhappy with even a smallest scratch on my car and if I drop the bike... Well, anyway I searched for some used bikes and my first choice is Bandit 650S (the naked looks better but after doing some trips in rain during DAS I know that having a windscreen is good idea). The other bike is Yamaha FZ6. Both seem to me quite similar (FZ6 got more power but similar torque, size, weight) but I'd like to know how about their reliability and overall quality ? I know both will be rather old (+10 years) but which will be more 'bullet proof' ? I read quite a lot about Bandit and the opinions are usually very good - contrary I didn't find a nice article/video about FZ6 showing it pros/cons in some 'ordered' way.
The other question is if these bikes are good as 1st big bike ? During DAS I ride ER6-N or Z650 and I feel quite comfortable with handling but I also feel a little 'cramped' on it and my general feeling is that bike is too small (I'm rather average height - 190cm). The other thing is that I don't like the 2 cylinder engine sound Wink
Any advice appreciated !

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: New biker and 1st big bike Reply with quote

RederOr wrote:
I'm rather average height - 190cm

When did 6'2" become an average height?
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

RederOr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:15 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: New biker and 1st big bike Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Right, let's say then I'm 'slightly' above average height. What I meant is that I'm not a basketball player Wink

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

both Bandit and FZ6 are common bikes. Having owned both, the FZ6 would be my choice. Depending on what year, the FZ6 has better brakes. It is more powerful and I found it more comfortable. I also prefer it for looks, and it weighs marginally less. You'll just have to sit on both and see which you like.

what year models are you looking at?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RederOr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:54 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
both Bandit and FZ6 are common bikes. Having owned both, the FZ6 would be my choice. Depending on what year, the FZ6 has better brakes. It is more powerful and I found it more comfortable. I also prefer it for looks, and it weighs marginally less. You'll just have to sit on both and see which you like.

what year models are you looking at?

I aim at 2007+ models, as from this year Bandit has injection and water cooling, not sure about FZ6 (carbs/injection ? I suppose injection but not sure since when). Yes, the FZ6 looks nicer !

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:32 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: New biker and 1st big bike Reply with quote

RederOr wrote:
...my first choice is Bandit 650S...

Great bikes. I have a K6 (2006) model which was first registered
in 2007. Over the last seven years, it has only needed the
standard consumables like oil and filters plus a clutch cable
(£10 from Wemoto) and a front wheel bearing.

The K5/K6 model has the old air/oil cooled engine. These
have a well established reputation for reliability and durability.
That said, I haven't heard many complaints about the newer
(2007-) liquid cooled Bandit engine.

Quote:
(the naked looks better but after doing some trips in rain during DAS I know that having a windscreen is good idea).

I agree.

Quote:
The other bike is Yamaha FZ6. Both seem to me quite similar (FZ6 got more power but similar torque, size, weight) but I'd like to know how about their reliability and overall quality ?

The FZ6/Fazer is also highly regarded as a good reliable machine.
You won't go too far wrong with any of the popular Japanese
inline-fours. Honda CBR600F, Kawasaki Z750 etc.....

Quote:
I know both will be rather old (+10 years) but which will be more 'bullet proof' ?

Both are good. The weak point on the Bandit is the shitty exhaust
downpipes/collector. This will probably have been fixed or replaced
on an older bike.

Fazers seem well built and reliable apart from the the odd
front sprocket problem.

Quote:
The other question is if these bikes are good as 1st big bike ? During DAS I ride ER6-N or Z650 and I feel quite comfortable with handling but I also feel a little 'cramped' on it and my general feeling is that bike is too small.

A lot of the newer 'Japanese' bikes are made in Thailand or
in other Asian countries. I'm not convinced that they have the
same build quality as made-in-Japan machines. ER6s in particular
are quite prone to corrosion unless they are kept in a dry shed
or garage.

Quote:
(I'm rather average height - 190cm). The other thing is that I don't like the 2 cylinder engine sound Wink

I'm another 'average' guy at 6'3" and 116kg (18st). I'm quite
comfortable on the Bandit 650. It is a little taller and wider
than my old Kawasaki ZZR1100.

RederOr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:52 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: New biker and 1st big bike Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:
[...]

Thank you ! I'll then stick with Bandit Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: New biker and 1st big bike Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:

Fazers seem well built and reliable apart from the the odd
front sprocket problem.

I'm pretty sure this was just on the earlier 'box eye' FZS600. And easily sorted by replacing the sprocket nut with the recall item, but most will have been done already. I don't think the later FZ6 had any issues here.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wifey had a Bandit, watercooled version.

I really enjoyed riding it. You could wring it's neck and while it would get it skates on, it was well inside the controllable envelope for the chassis and brakes. Comfy as well.

She found it heavy to man handle and after she dropped it on gravel she lost confidence and traded it for an ER6N which was bland a fcuk. I doubt you would have that problem though.

We also have a Fazer hack. Great bike, no issues except the lighting is worse than a candle. It's utterly impossible to ride quickly at night. I presume the later models have this sorted.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

We also have a Fazer hack. Great bike, no issues except the lighting is worse than a candle. It's utterly impossible to ride quickly at night. I presume the later models have this sorted.

Again, I presume you're talking about the 'box eye' FZS600? Notoriously poor h/lamps! And again, I don't think I've heard people complaining about the 'fox eye' version, nor the FZ6.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You quickly get used to whatever you've got - faired or unfaired. A well-designed factory fairing or headlight cowl will keep off a lot of rain from you, but then you get used to that, and you end up ruing the fact that you have to put on waterproof overs anyway (faired or unfaired, you will want waterproof trousers if you're going for a ride in the rain). A fairing makes 100mph+ rides much more comfortable, but if you're regularly doing that sort of speed on a naked bike you'll probably quickly get used to it and won't feel uncomfortable. It's all swings and roundabouts. Fairings or no fairings don't matter to me because (1) I don't ride in the rain, sleet or snow if I can help it; (2) if I get to higher speeds it's only momentarily and I don't hold them, because I like to mostly ride on B-roads, where the fun zone is below 100mph.

If those 2 are your shortlisted bikes, then, as you say, they are 10+ years old, so the better condition one that's been carefully maintained will be the one to buy.

You haven't mentioned the sort of riding you intend to do. Bear in mind that the Japanese make excellent bikes, and those 2 are good examples, but Japanese standard bikes try to be all things to all people, so you may find the final gear on both bikes to be a bit low-geared if you're doing lots of long straight-line motorway or A-road journeys. Mid-sized 4-cylinder make their useful power at higher revs. I remember reading a post somewhere where someone said they thought their FZ6 had been designed so that in 6th at 4.5k rpm (the quietest, least vibey rate) you were doing 55mph (a highway cruising speed in some countries) exactly, which isn't ideal if you're regularly blasting up and down the M6, for example. If that's true for the FZ6, then I expect the same will be true for the Bandit.

RederOr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:58 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

You haven't mentioned the sort of riding you intend to do. [...]

Daily commuting (some motorway, then just a ordinary city road, total will be 10-15 miles one way) but also touring - around Scotland, so not a 1000 miles 'jumps' and probably keeping within the speed limits.
Thanks to all of you for the answers !

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: New biker and 1st big bike Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
RederOr wrote:
I'm rather average height - 190cm

Have you seen some of the over nourished young middle class goons lolloping aroynd these days?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1