Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

R1200GS stalling. Sparkplugs worn out? Is it running lean?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: R1200GS stalling. Sparkplugs worn out? Is it running lean? Reply with quote

Hi All,

My 2009 GS has started misbehaving. It's been a slow and steady decline but it's becoming problematic now.

I did about 1500 miles around Scotland a month or so back, before then it felt a tiny bit misfirey around town on the odd occasion, it was such a small amount that I was never really sure and thought it might be my mind playing tricks on me - it's not exactly a smooth bike anyway.

Then, on the way up to Scotland it began to feel a bit sort of dull on motorways, I thought it might need the valves adjusting as they'd not been done in about 10,000 miles.

I didn't have any time to look at it properly right after Scotland, so probably put another 1000 miles on it in the following month or so. During that time it started to feel much worse at city centre speeds, and stalled a handful of times when moving really slowly at low revs in places.

Last weekend I managed to spare Saturday to do the valve clearances, which all seemed to be pretty close to their tolerances, but adjusted all four anyway. It did seem to ride a bit better on A roads after that.

It's still riding badly around town though and seems to be getting worse. The stalling is happening more and more regularly, probably once a day or so.

I intended to change the spark plugs when doing the clearances, just as a matter of course, but I completely forgot to order them Rolling Eyes I'm wondering if they might be the cause of my issues, which will be obvious once they're changed I guess.

I'm also wondering if the bike is perhaps running a bit lean. It's got a slip on end can installed. Supposedly this shouldn't effect the fuelling too drastically, but the plug looks a bit light to me.

Two questions:

Does this look a knackered enough to cause stalling?
Does this look a bit too light coloured, suggesting lean running?

The image goes a bit squiffy on BCF so click here for a better image.

https://i.imgur.com/fjmnYqm.jpg

Thanks

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that the fuel injectors and feed pipes be pro cleaned.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very specific suggestion, why so?

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:56 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spark plug gap should be 0.8-1mm, yours looks quite a bit bigger than that and I would say that those plugs are looking well past their best.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Very specific suggestion, why so?

Because i had the same symptoms with my gsx1400.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

New plugs definitely needed, they look really lean compared to my BMW. Also invest in a vacuum gauge and balance the throttle bodies, they go out and it makes them run really lumpy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a fuel pump under the left top tank panel.
It's diode controlled to limit pressure at a set pressure. It cuts out. Aye.....

They burn out. It can be by-passed and the pump driven direct off the battery.

You could also ask a BMW phaphery station to look at it.
Problem is finding one with an enthusiast that knows wot he/she is talking about and not just rely on the Sun Tuner's say so.

Plug looks OK. Correct colour but from the pic the side electrode does look a bit eroded but it may be the phoatie.

New plug in place of auld will always make good.

I think they are 12000 mile change items.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:22 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those threads that could get expensive.

Your plugs are suspect. You haven't changed them yet. Change them, see if it makes a difference. Then work through any other servicing you might have missed, like a new air filter.

Then come back and ask us to suggests problems if it's still playing up.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:09 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
This is one of those threads that could get expensive.

Your plugs are suspect. You haven't changed them yet. Change them, see if it makes a difference. Then work through any other servicing you might have missed, like a new air filter.

Then come back and ask us to suggests problems if it's still playing up.

This. Change the plugs and see if the problem goes away.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My R1100S went very rough running. New plugs fixed that. I believe it's the combination of commuting stop-start and those big 600cc cylinders. every so often mine will pink terribly if I give it too much from too low a rpm. That's hard on plugs.

Is the 1200 twin-spark? Mine is and when one of the two plugs go out it gets a bit rough. Diagnose it by popping off one each of the plugs in turn. If one is already not sparking, un-plugging the other will naturally kill all spark to the cylinder.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
every so often mine will pink terribly if I give it too much from too low a rpm. That's hard on plugs.

Yep, mine does that.

Pete. wrote:
Is the 1200 twin-spark? Mine is and when one of the two plugs go out it gets a bit rough.

Yup, twin spark.

I'll try the plugs as suggested and feed back when I know more.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Pete. wrote:
every so often mine will pink terribly if I give it too much from too low a rpm. That's hard on plugs.

Yep, mine does that.

Pete. wrote:
Is the 1200 twin-spark? Mine is and when one of the two plugs go out it gets a bit rough.

Yup, twin spark.

I'll try the plugs as suggested and feed back when I know more.

BMWs incorporate Knock Sensors on the block. They will or should only knock once then ignition is adjusted by the ECM.
Perhaps a cut out test won't work.

The good thing is the spark plugs are easy to get to. And relatively cheap-ish.

I just had a shoofti at the service sheet for a R1200GS

Plugs are replaced at first 6000 miles

Then checked at 12000, 18000 and changed at 24000.

https://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-ngk-copper-core-spark-plug-dcpr8ekc-7168.html

When were they last replaced?

These bikes have coils on each plug. Another area for concern. They don't like moisture and will short out if there is any water ingress.
Over heating of mechanical injury can compromise the waterpoof-ism of the coil units.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0307-EUR-01-2006-K25-BMW-R_1200_GS_04_0307,0317_&diagId=12_1259

***kin' ball busting expense to do all four.

There are two Lambda Oxygen sensors in the pipes too. They will derate if they get the right/wrong signals from the exhaust gas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they something special those plugs because the electrodes don't look like any I have seen before.

Expensive or not, they are the first thing I would change. Clean air filter. New oil and filter (yes, I know that won't cure your problem but I'd give it a full service to start with) and work from there.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:17 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly suggest you get the plugs from a reputable dealer in person, as there are a huge counterfeit supply online.....they really are a recipe for disaster....you have been told! Rolling Eyes

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:24 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like iridium plugs which should be good for at least 50k miles.

the problem with iridium plugs is that they don't give such an effective spark as tradition on plugs.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:37 - 21 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It looks like iridium plugs which should be good for at least 50k miles.

the problem with iridium plugs is that they don't give such an effective spark as tradition on plugs.

Iridium as OEM fit in many BMW bikes.
Long life so it means the plugs that are buried in the engine aren't such a maintenance headache.

The standard plugs are copper electrode wot I quoted.
£4 A pop plus the odds and P&P.

I fitted iridium to many bikes and never suffered any deterioration in effectiveness.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 03 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eventually got around to replacing the spark plugs today. It's definitely improved the ride in general, but unfortunately twice on my way home it still misfired/coughed at very low revs low speed.

I'll try putting the standard end can back on when I'm back at work on Monday, I honestly don't think that's the cause though. I can't say I remember perfectly how well it rode when I first installed the slip-on, but, I reckon if it had been misbehaving like it is now I'd have taken it off right away.

Any thoughts as to other causes?

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 03 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop over to the GS site and ask their.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 03 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my first post.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 04 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
I eventually got around to replacing the spark plugs today. It's definitely improved the ride in general, but unfortunately twice on my way home it still misfired/coughed at very low revs low speed.

I'll try putting the standard end can back on when I'm back at work on Monday, I honestly don't think that's the cause though. I can't say I remember perfectly how well it rode when I first installed the slip-on, but, I reckon if it had been misbehaving like it is now I'd have taken it off right away.

Any thoughts as to other causes?

The end can won't have any effect as the ECU will accommodate any changes in airflow.

(Annoying thing about new plugs is they always seem make things run a bit better 😂)

I'm still banking on a coil unit.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/1200gs-ignition-coil-died.410481/

They have tons of pixies hurtling through them and that relies on perfect insulation. If the insulation is failing it can cause some of the pixies to escape to ground.
It is common-ish. It's normally a wet bike slow drying issue. If the engine gets we and can't dry out the moisture is allowed to eat away at parts that should be water proof. And they 'breakdown' under normal conditions too after enough mileage.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1