Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Non fault accident, modified exhaust - insurance question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

MuFo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:17 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Non fault accident, modified exhaust - insurance question Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I was recently involved in an accident. Was hit by a car from behind when exiting roundabout, as the driver didn't see me. Me, my girlfriend and bike hit the traffic island.
I am waiting for my bike to be checked by insurer now and I just realized I didn't tell insurance company about akrapovic slip-on mounted by previous owner.
I am now worried my insurance will have problem with that, even if accident wasn't my fault and modified exhaust had nothing to do with it.
Do you think it may result in voiding my insurance? Is there anything I can do?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's non-fault so stop worrying. The insurance's engineer doing the inspection probably won't even mention it in his report since he'll be an independent under contract. If your insurer queries it act dumb and say you didn't know it wasn't original and that's how the bike was when you got it. Even if the accident was your fault the insurer would still be obliged to honour the claim. The very worst that can happen (though it's incredibly unlikely) is that your insurer will cancel your policy for an undeclared modification, but that still won't affect the claim you're making against the third party.

In short: don't mention it and don't worry about it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:33 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, insurance companies can only refuse to pay out if the modification contributed to the accident fully comp and cannot refuse third party claims.

They can cancel your insurance from a current date.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:34 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're claiming from the insurance of the car that hit you, that's got nothing to do with your insurance. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:38 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nothing to do with YOUR insurance, your claim is against the other persons insurance. Customising work is irrelevant unless it contributed to the accident (so say you had an aftermarket brake light that did not conform to standards, that could be a problem.).

Wont stop them trying it on but it's not their business what type of vehicle their client crashed into so come down hard on them if they have a go "So how did that cause them to run into the back of me then?" type response". They tried it with a mate of mine, engineers insurance company tried to claim they shouldn't have to pay for his custom paint to be redone after he crashed into unmarked roadworks in the dark.

It MIGHT render your own insurance void if they get wind of it, they would be within their rights to cancel your policy with 7 days notice but it shouldn't affect your claim against the third party. In fact, if they damaged your aftermarket exhaust in the crash, they'd have to replace that too.

Chances are the assessor wont notice anyway. Last one I had contact with had no fucking idea what he was looking at. He tried to knock back part of my claim because apparently there was rust on my stainless exhaust system.

MuFo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:08 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, It's the first time im in an accident and it's overwhelming. I see now how important it is to keep the insurer updated with modifications, will do that with my next bikes.
Big thanks!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:00 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
In addition, insurance companies can only refuse to pay out if the modification contributed to the accident fully comp and cannot refuse third party claims.

They can cancel your insurance from a current date.

Just proves my point that loud pipes save fcuk all when the shite hits the fan.

🤣

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
If your insurer queries it act dumb and say you didn't know it wasn't original and that's how the bike was when you got it.

Indeed, my last bike had loads of extras on it when I bought it, and I genuinely didn't know they weren't original at the time (it wasn't actually till it got written off that I finally worked out all the bits).

Also, FWIW when I was thinking of fitting an eBay Akra slip-on to my own bike recently, I phoned my insurer first to ask what the damage would be if I did so, and was surprisingly told 'zero'. So hopefully it's not an issue for your insurer?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly only applies to 'significant' performance additions or poorly installed or high value additions.
It depends on how the insurer judges their risk.
Maybe a glittery bike attracts attention from the wrong sort of folks. So the risk of theft in increased.

They will never for betterment or they will negotiate on it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 221 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1