Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Novice Observations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

hume
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:56 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Novice Observations Reply with quote

The first observation I would like to make is everyone is comfortable with 40mph+. Even those on L plates.
Without using iron grippers to increase my grip strength my hands begin to pain me and my clutch control gradually gets worse over time.
Using the rear break and clutch when corner feels off to me (at least on my bike). I do lean at roughly at a 20 degree angle.
Overtaking slow moving vehicles is something I have a mental block on. I've done it once but not since.

An experienced rider at work suggested going to track on novice days. He said "That's where you really get to learn how to ride."

What I want to know is will a track allow me to use a bigger bike than a 125cc and would they allow me to do 70mph+?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to do a track ride, just ride, even my daughter on her 50 can get it to 40+ mph, and , she's been practising (on private land) on her Keeway that she can ride in a few weeks, and again has got above 40mph in a relatively restricted space.

First thing, relax, loosen your grip, relax your shoulders, etc It will come with time, find a car park or other open ground, where you can practice chucking your bike about !

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:48 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your backside, knees and feet are for keeping you on the bike. Your hands and arms are for working the controls. Your legs are used to taking your weight, your arms are not so don't ask them to.

You shouldn't be using the brakes or the clutch in a corner. You should have done any slowing down before you go into the corner and be on a stable and steady neutral throttle as you go round it so you aren't upsetting the balance either to the front or the rear. As you see the exit, accelerate out.

I really think you need some lessons with a proper instructor to get the basics down, not a track day. And a lot more miles.

But as above, first thing stop death-gripping the handlebars. loosen up, flap your elbows a bit. Look where you want to go.

hume
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:08 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linuxyeti, I think you misunderstand. I can do 40mph, but I'm not comfortable doing it on 30mph roads. Two weeks ago I could barely do 25mph consistently. Now 30-34mph is ok.
I use my bike to commute to work. There are no dual carriageways or A roads for me to practice on.

In order for me to be truly comfortable doing 40mph and above I would need to know what 70mph feels like. What are my reactions times and whether I can (from a mental perspective) handle those speeds.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hume wrote:
Linuxyeti, I think you misunderstand. I can do 40mph, but I'm not comfortable doing it on 30mph roads. Two weeks ago I could barely do 25mph consistently. Now 30-34mph is ok.
I use my bike to commute to work. There are no dual carriageways or A roads for me to practice on.

In order for me to be truly comfortable doing 40mph and above I would need to know what 70mph feels like. What are my reactions times and whether I can (from a mental perspective) handle those speeds.

OK, what I, and Stinkwheel have said still stands, you need more time riding, track day is not the way to go. Also, strictly speaking, you shouldn't be doing 40mph on a 30mph road Smile. I'm sure that within 50 miles or so of you, there's likely to be at least 1 A road (max 60) or dual carriageway(max will be 70). Also, I never said find an A road or dual carriageway to practice on, I said, find an empty car park, or other large empty space to practice manouvers on.

To go above 40, why do you need to know what 70 feels like? Build up your speed with your confidence, don't over stretch yourself, and don't get over confident. But, relax, relax, relax, then work on the rest.. And, yes, shouldn't be breaking going around corners, nor should you be coasting round them either.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hume wrote:

So, to be comfortable at 70, do you think you need to hit the ton? Don't fixate on the speed, fixate on smooth. Any fool can pin the throttle wide open, but try a commute whilst pretending your brakes don't work. Anticipate. Be in the right gear, right road position. Speed is the last of your worries, really. How good are your emergency stops?
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike?

hume
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:50 - 23 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the advice on this thread has been sound. Although I would like to document the frustration that led me to start this thread. When I would set off from work. I would have a bike overtake me and disappear. Usually he would turn right and me left. But as I got halfway through my journey I would be overtaken by several bike who were using the same route as myself.
Three different groups of riders would overtake me and I wouldn't be able to catch up with any of them.

I was nervous about straddling lanes and picking up my speed over short distances.

Today was the first day I was able to keep up with the first group of riders I encountered going my way. I followed an A license rider as he moved between built up traffic. The confidence to do this has been lacking and I feel the familiarity of the journey I take to and from work helps me push the envelope as it were and try new things without being overly cautious.

In strong winds as today I notice if I keep my visor down I don't hear the wind as much which raises my level of anxiety, especially when accompanied by crosswinds forcing the bike to veer into the adjacent lane.

Last edited by hume on 06:26 - 25 Sep 2019; edited 1 time in total

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 24 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old saying: 'ride your own ride', concentrate on improving your skills at your own pace and stop worrying about trying to keep up with total strangers who may be way more experienced and/or reckless than yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 24 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not going to keep up with someone who's been filtering for years If you've just started riding. More importantly, don't try.
It takes time to get comfortable with speed and understand how a bike behaves. Some people just seem to get it, everyone else puts their time in.
Give it a few months, and if it still seems crap get a 1:1 session with a decent instructor who will be able to spot your bad practices.
Track day sessions won't get you more comfortable on a commute.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 24 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, don't try to ride like a seasoned biker. Their ease of progress might be incomprehensible to you but they have the experience (and experiences) to risk-assess every point of their journey and adjust their speed, safety gap, road position to suit. They'll 'see' - often unconsciously - likely hazards that you won't be aware of. Mostly they are relaxed and completely in tune with their bike so they can devote all their attention to reading the road and the surrounding traffic.

It takes many thousands of miles to achieve this. You're learning so do it at your own rate, not someone else's.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 24 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular commuters do crash while filtering, and then it's all a blame game. You need not only machine control but also to be able to anticipate hazards. Err on the side of caution. If you can't see around an object, be ready in case there is something there, e.g. a pedestrian you can't see who is crossing the road in front of that car. Psychology also plays a big part. Pride comes before a fall: a lot of teenagers, L-platers etc. will filter and take risks ("there was nothing there the last few times, why should there be anything there now?") to prove a point. Let these types win the race. Similarly, the guy on the (stereotyping here, but stereotypes do help sometimes) Harley/GS who rides in the oncoming lane so that oncoming traffic has to change lane positioning to give him space to filter. Don't feel you have to do the same, or anything where you don't feel safe. You will find the occasional frustrated driver who deliberately blocks your path because he thinks you shouldn't jump the queue, or the guy late for work who doesn't check his mirror or indicator, but pulls out in front of you. Patience and keeping a cool head are important.

Anticipating all of these situations is on your head. If someone is filtering in front of you, you can take the opportunity to get in his wake, but at the same time you should anticipate the changing traffic situation and keep yourself safe. Ideally, filtering should not be about risk attitudes but anticipating potential and developing hazards and being safe.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1