Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rieju RS3 50 2012 non starter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

unfitforpurpo...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:30 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Rieju RS3 50 2012 non starter Reply with quote

Hi, hoping for some help.
Bought a 2012Rieju RS3 with AM6 50cc engine as a non starter.
I'm the third person it seems to tackle this non starter and I don't want to be beaten.
I've checked all the usual,
Spark
Fuel
Compression
Crank seals
Reeds
Manifold sealed ok
Exhaust ok
Piston and rings correctly installed (previous owner said he'd stripped it)

The only thing I'm hanging onto at the moment is, I've put a timing light on it, and there are timing marks in the clutch housing that for the first 2-3 revs on the starter align, and thereafter are advanced (btdc).
Is this usual, or should I investigate this further?

Any other suggestions gratefully received!

Many thanks for any input in advance

*Edited : for clarity (non runner/starter)

Last edited by unfitforpurpose on 20:22 - 19 Sep 2019; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:14 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's actually wrong with it? "Non-runner" might just mean it doesn't have wheels Wink

Not starting?

unfitforpurpo...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:27 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok yeah sorry - non starter.
I'm a diesel guy up till now, and the ignition timing has got me a bit, but reading up on timing curves on CDI units, I don't think it's out by enough to at least run badly.

Any help gratefully received

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Rieju RS3 50 2012 non starter Reply with quote

unfitforpurpose wrote:
The only thing I'm hanging onto at the moment is, I've put a timing light on it, and there are timing marks in the clutch housing that for the first 2-3 revs on the starter align, and thereafter are advanced (btdc).
Is this usual, or should I investigate this further?

No idea. Try https://www.fys.ku.dk/~andersx/Workshop%20Manual%20-%20AM6.pdf (see: s2.3)
Feathers McGraw This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

unfitforpurpo...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:49 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet the manual looks more in depth than the Rieju one.

Also the micrometer looks a good buy for this new nightmare.

Thanks I'll look again tomorrow. Still learning.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfitforpurpose wrote:
Sweet the manual looks more in depth than the Rieju one.

Also the micrometer looks a good buy for this new nightmare.

Thanks I'll look again tomorrow. Still learning.

Don't get hung up on the timing just yet. From your description it at least sounds vaguely right which is all that's need for it to start.

I don't see a carb in that list Thinking

unfitforpurpo...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:13 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got me, I missed that bad boy off the list, I've got strimmer and chainsaws I can mess about with and get alright carefully carb-wise, but I'm getting a wet plug, and the jets, ports and what have you are all real clean, this evening I did notice the pipe up to the diagram jobby on the tank from.manifold side of carb (I think a vacuum pump, can't remember name) was a little split at the end, but when I've got it cranking I can see fuel moving in the filter, and the float chamber in the carb is getting fuel. To rule.it out and for future reliability I'll put fresh pipe on tomorrow.

I'm not looking to piss on anyone's bonfire, but I feel like I've tried most everything!
I am revisiting where I've been before, so I'll go over that closely again too.
Thanks

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:11 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say "have you tried taking the air box off and squirting in fuel/easy start directly..." but if you have a wet plug I think fuel is getting in Thinking

There's only spark and compression left!

<edit>

Have ya checked the valve clearances Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

unfitforpurpo...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:29 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah reed valves spot on.
I haven't got a compression tester, and I prob won't be able to till after the weekend now.
I had discounted it as it felt ok, and the piston and barrel are about 6 months old, of which only about 3 running.
Gaskets look ok.
I can't do anything this weekend but Monday I'll check all the electrical connections and continuity of wires, and try bumping it, I think if it goes then and runs ok I'll compression test it.

Also I tried carb cleaner and brake cleaner to start on which have worked for me before, but nothing.

I haven't tried bump starting before now as - I thought I could find the issue and Bob's your uncle....
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

unfitforpurpo...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:18 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah piston crossed my mind early on as previous owner said he'd had it apart, but it was correctly installed, piston rings correctly installed piston and bore like new although a light coating of carbon on top, in line with the little use it had had.

I'll likely try compression after weekend and update good or bad.

Thanks

unfitforpurpo...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:08 - 23 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so excuses first, for a long time now I've not worked on vehicles that you can bump start or they're fixed engines....

So I bump started it, it was a bit starving down low in the revs, spot on above 4500 or so, and wouldn't idle. I admit I haven't searched it yet, but I've got to go sort animals now, but any tips on setting the carb as much as possible will of course be gratefully received. (Btw Filters clean, not sure how the electric (stop?) works on the diaphragm pump on the tank).

It's a dellorto carb
Idle screw - another screw for mix I guess - and circlip on needle

I'm hoping when it's set-up, at least basically, it will start on the electric start, and I can go from there.

Cheers

unfitforpurpo...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:46 - 23 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update,

Apparently its had a new piston and barrel taking it up to 70cc.

I cannot get it to idle and the bottom end revs are terrible.

It has a Dellorto PHBN 16 carb,
Does it need re-jetting or do I need a different carb for an improved idle circuit?

Definitely goes well at above 5000rpm after a bump start, not starting on electric start

Cheers

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 23 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idle screw adjustment might help... don't get your hopes up. Blocked pilot/idle jet?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

unfitforpurpo...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:32 - 24 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the carb off at the mo. Tinkering between jobs at work.

I can't decide if the idle jet is partially blocked or just a small port, I can just see light through it when I hold it up to light ( main jet is fine/clear)

The screw holding the choke in was a little too long, and I wondered if it was leaking pressure or vacuum through there as it wasn't holding 'firm' against the external seal, but no improvement after shaving a bit off the screw.

I have had the carb off a few times now but will persist, I'm of course being careful with pipes/manifold each time.

In my limited petrol knowledge I'm sure it's down to the idle circuit, which I'm getting vibes for from you here.

I'm keeping at it.

Cheers

unfitforpurpo...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:40 - 24 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I left the idle jet in brake cleaner for a couple of hours this morning then pushed a small wire through and compressed air a few times, I'm pretty sure it was closer to idle at lunchtime.
Might just leave the whole thing in cleaner overnight, shit or bust.

unfitforpurpo...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:26 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

It's improved, and as far as I can see it's clean right through (carb and fuel lines), the oil pump is bled, so I washed through the premix I had in the tank.
Took her out and got her hot, still sounds starving for fuel under 5000 and wouldn't get up a hill near us. Briefly popping the choke gets a better result blipping the throttle from idle.
The idle sometimes sits at about 2000 lovely, and other times high, or stalls. I can't locate any air leaks etc.
So I'm thinking of just getting a bigger carb now unless anyone fancy a chipping in.
Thanks for your help so far, it's good for motivation!
Cheers

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean the carb again.

Seriously.

A "proper" clean this time Smile

I had three goes at cleaning a carb a while back and it did similar weirdness to what you're describing.

All apart, go over everything with a magnifying glass: get the jets, float pin out, etc. One bit of grit mooching about in there could make all the difference.

If it's still not running well after that THEN you can buy a new carb Laughing

Or it's an air leak Wink

unfitforpurpo...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:19 - 01 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a couple of days, I've stripped and cleaned the carb several more times, there was a nick on the reed valve body against the gasket, but I'd tried the gas torch, which is a great idea thanks but the only difference the torch made was when I was right by the intake (foam cone filter).
I've got it to idle now, whether that was the stripdowns or sealing the nick in the valve body I can't be entirely sure, but it is still starving and boggy down low. I could get up the hill by us in 1st with choke (excess fuel) held on.
I know people follow their heart and not their heads sometimes, but I've gone and ordered a bigger carb. Please don't think too badly of me, but I'm at the point of starting to chuck money at it now.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:13 - 01 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always look at it this way: unless you have to fix bikes for a living (where time = money) then there are no bad outcomes...

...you really know how carbs fit together now!
Feathers McGraw This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2