Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

American rental

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Resurrection
Ballast Boy

PostPosted: 21:47 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: American rental Reply with quote

Has anyone rented a bike in the USA? I’m going to Colorado in November for a couple of weeks and wouldn’t mind getting out on a bike for a few days. Is it particularly difficult? Anybody got any recommendations?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harley do a rental scheme, compared to car hire it's fucking extortionate.

You do know that it snows in Co in the winter months??? It had only just stopped a few weeks earlier before we went in early June this summer.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:00 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
You do know that it snows in Co in the winter months???

Emphasis on this. A lot of white bullshit. Over a fair portion of the state, Rocky mountains covering a lot of it and all.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:22 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

You do know that it snows in Co in the winter months??? It had only just stopped a few weeks earlier before we went in early June this summer.

This /\

Stay away from Harley Dealerships. (Kollekshon of Kondescending Kuntz.)

We drove to Mancuso HD dealer in Houston a few years ago.

Without hire of the gear it was going to cost us about $1000 to hire bikes for two days.

BTW, We got stuck behind Harleys twice last week when we were out for a blast. Car-Caravan, Campervan, Cattle Float, Artics can be passed without issue.
Harley Davidson bike. Forget it. Better to park up for a couple of hours until they are clear of the road in front. Very Happy

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

This /\

Stay away from Harley Dealerships. (Kollekshon of Kondescending Kuntz.)

We drove to Mancuso HD dealer in Houston a few years ago.

Without hire of the gear it was going to cost us about $1000 to hire bikes for two days.

Don't they also require a mahoosive deposit that would severely test the average credit card?

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 24 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hired a couple of Harley’s in Florida a couple of years back. It was painless enough and about £100 or so per day as I recall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GTR1400
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:16 - 29 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used these guys to rent a gsxr in the Great Smoky Mountains two years ago: https://sportbikes4hire.com/

Had a great experience. No hassle, lovely people running the place.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 29 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was snowing in Yosemite / Crater lake a couple of weeks back. Still 32 degrees in Modesto the next day though Very Happy

Can't see the fascination with Yank tours on a bike, it's either straight / meltingly hot or freezing. Sane goes for Ragtops unless you're posing in the town centres.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 29 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
It was snowing in Yosemite / Crater lake a couple of weeks back. Still 32 degrees in Modesto the next day though Very Happy

Is that a metric or imperial 32? Neither is particularly comfy for biking!!

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 29 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

Is that a metric or imperial 32? Neither is particularly comfy for biking!!

That's in Uk figures - i think Yosemite was about -3C and Modesto was 32C

That would be my issue with the USA for biking in the summer / late summer. it's either roasting or freezing. 8 guys n our flight were hiring bikes and going from SF to Vegas - no thanks.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 29 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented an MP3 from Eagle Rider in San Francisco for a week, about 10 years ago.

https://www.eaglerider.com/sanfrancisco/motorcycle-rental

Relatively pain free. I'd advise bringing your own helmet if you want a full-face that fits though, they only had half-helmets.

For Colorado, Denver may be an option:

https://www.eaglerider.com/denver-bmw-triumph/rental

Grand Junction has a couple of BMWs if you're on the other side:

https://www.eaglerider.com/grandjunction/rental

You didn't need an IDP if you had an EU license when I rented. I don't know how that will change post-Brexit (if it happens on October 31st).

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/international-driving-permit

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:32 - 30 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

Can't see the fascination with Yank tours on a bike, it's either straight / meltingly hot or freezing. Sane goes for Ragtops unless you're posing in the town centres.

There are plenty of twisty roads in the States and a ragtop is the perfect tool in my experience. A normal car is too much of a busmans holiday for me as I drive a company funded BMW repmobile all over the UK on business.

I’ve also hired a bike before from Eaglerider in LA, but it’s ridiculously expensive and far too hot out in the deserts. Colorado is a different matter due to the altitude of >8000’ and it was significantly cooler, but as others have said, I suspect there’ll be too much snow on the ground by November.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 30 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

spnorm wrote:

There are plenty of twisty roads in the States and a ragtop is the perfect tool in my experience. A normal car is too much of a busmans holiday for me as I drive a company funded BMW repmobile all over the UK on business.

We were going to be proper cheapskates and hire something along the lines of a Fiesta but hired through the brother-in-law's account and got a 4x4 smaller SUV for the same price instead. Definitely more fun than a ragtop as we were able to go off the blacktop onto some of the dirt roads. (Quite glad I didn't dink it though as it wasn't insured for off roading Shhh! )

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:56 - 01 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've rented from Eagle Rider in San Francisco a couple of times. And have a rental booked for later this month (was planning on doing Yosemite on a Super Tenere, weather/snow/temp depending...). Have also rented from Dubbelju in San Fran and RentThisBike in Brisbane, Aus in the past too.

EagleRider as a whole I've found very good, professional and well setup. They don't just do Harley's, and the range of bikes offered at their San Fran garage has certainly been extended lately (with Triumph's, Yamaha's, Enfields). They have a BMW/Honda/Ducati garage in South San Fran - not used that one, their opening times were always awkward for times I could pickup/drop off around my work trips over there. Dubbelju in San Fran, again very good, smaller family owned business with nice selection of bikes. Prices fairly on par with Eagle Rider, but they can be more flexible on times.

They're certainly not the cheapest, do factor in $35/per day for your excess waiver, $10/day for breakdown, 3rd party cover and all the various other taxes that are never shown on face value of stuff in the US. It soon mounts up. They do provide a half piss-pot style lid for free - only of use if you want to look like a hard ass hells angel and put no value on your jaw bone. You can rent a full face lid from them, but last time I tried they had very few size wise and the visor was super scratched (so they discounted the rental). So, I would definitely recommend taking your own lid and gear.

License wise, they all been happy to just check out my UK driving license and confirm my passport. And of course swipe credit card for security. Some places like you to be aged over 21 or 25, and have held your bike license for at least 1 or 2 years.

GPS can be an issue, only the monster Harley's come with built in satnav. I have coped pretty well with a phone and headphones in past. But using my own lid with a cheap Chinese bluetooth headset is definitely better to hear directions from phone. Do download google maps offline beforehand, mobile coverage on back roads can be thin.

The two Harley's I hired from EagleRider came with luggage - soft panniers on the Dyna 103, hard on the RoadKing. They also provided a mini disc lock too. The Bonneville I rented from Dubbelju had only a bear rack on the back. But best double check options on the bike you choose. Taking a small backpack is probably wise, just in case, and when walking about off bike. Also, do pack plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.

Check the deal for tolls on roads/bridges you will be taking. Some are electronic only (e.g. Golden Gate bridge), other can be done cash at booth (e.g. Oakland bridge). The former, are best pre-paying with rental company.

Either way, just do it, it's a great way to explore when out abroad, a good chance to try a bike you wouldn't normally consider, and it'll definitely be a memorable experience
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 01 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

We were going to be proper cheapskates and hire something along the lines of a Fiesta but hired through the brother-in-law's account and got a 4x4 smaller SUV for the same price instead. Definitely more fun than a ragtop as we were able to go off the blacktop onto some of the dirt roads. (Quite glad I didn't dink it though as it wasn't insured for off roading Shhh! )

Kia Sportage 2.4 Auto - job done. Comfortable, bland, basic 4x4 system and does everything you're likely to need. Relatively cheap to hire and economical. 2nd time we've hired one and if we go a 3rd time, we'll get another one.

In SF you can hire those funny yellow 3 wheeler things if you really must go alfresco.

As far as tolls go, out on the bridge - none. Watch out for Express ways / lanes. Incoming lanes over the southern end of SF flyover was chargable but it was like 6 bucks.

If you do take a hire car / bike and it comes with a toll RFID - keep it covered and pay your own!!!

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 02 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Kia Sportage 2.4 Auto - job done. Comfortable, bland, basic 4x4 system and does everything you're likely to need. Relatively cheap to hire and economical. 2nd time we've hired one and if we go a 3rd time, we'll get another one.

If you do take a hire car / bike and it comes with a toll RFID - keep it covered and pay your own!!!

Great tip with the RFID.

I seem to recall it was something pokeless, possibly a Hyundai Tucson.

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 05:44 - 02 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado can be bloody cold in November, we had an arctic blast last week that sent temperatures near Denver down to -17 and -30 just north of there and it snows a lot and is unpredictable around Denver/Boulder due to the mountains, it's a really bad time to rent a motorcycle if there was even any company willing to rent one in November.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

F6HULK
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 06:11 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Hello from Colorado Reply with quote

I've lived in a western suburb of Denver for 40 years. Riding in November is really hit or miss. Even riding south to New Mexico can be tricky with weather. I do day rides, but nothing much in the mountains from November to April. You'd be better off going to Arizona, California or Nevada. If you're out here already, good luck.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 143 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1