Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Impressive restoration

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Videos
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Impressive restoration Reply with quote

From scrap to a museum piece. He has no time for patina, and he makes it look like he's done hundreds of these before. Holes in frame welded, wheels respoked, everything buffed to mirror shiny, spray painted, engine stripped right down. You name it, he did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scIWdvJib0c

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 23 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite some project he did.
The bike itself is very reminiscent of my first ever bike - a Honda SS50 that I used as a field bike. The frame and many other parts looked identical.

Following the video it shows lots of things that are mentioned in the help pages here - find a friendly welder, that sort of thing.
I'm surprised at the parts availability though. Obviously things like bearings will be common but I spotted new rubber grommets in the frame to hold central components - he must have a very good source nearby. Perhaps it's because of the nature of that country and bikes being so common. He did very well though.
Must say he'd be lost without that magical angle grinder!

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 23 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like a cross between an SS50 and a Cub, although I see more Cub (as I used to have more than one). The early telescoping front forks are quite nice.

Funnily enough, I thought a grinding wheel was one thing he was missing. He makes a lot of use of that angle grinder. He has buffing pads that work well, but if he had a general purpose metal grinding disc I doubt he would have sanded-filled-sanded-filled-sanded-filled that tank and frame to level out those welds. Not sure. He is a cracking welder though - very thin steel and he uses just a torch and a rod.

I saw him tap new wheel bearings directly into place with a rubber mallet. I suppose if he's got bags of experience with these bikes he's in a different position, but I don't think most of us hobbyists would do the same and risk stressing the inner race. Probably doesn't matter much on a bike that weighs as much as a heavy pushbike and tops out at 40 - who knows. In this hemisphere I think we generally tap them in with the old bearing on top to protect the races, or else use a screw-in bearing driver. The bearings will definitely be good modern parts though, and he wasn't using tremendous force. I also missed the part where he torques down the head with a torque wrench. He probably has enough experience to sense the requisite torque by hand. Certainly isn't the first time he's worked on a small Honda, and his video focusses more on his bodywork restoration than the mechanical side.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 216 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Videos All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1