Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 171, 172, 173 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:34 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Quiet Place - 4/10

Ranked #3 in the list of top rated horror movies on Rotten Tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/top_100_horror_movies/ (Number 1 in the list is not even remotely deserving of its position either).

An utterly terrible, painfully unrealistic film. It's set in a world where killer creatures bound in and devour you any time you make too much noise. Much of the film is done via sign language, but that's where the realism stops.

Interesting premise, executed terribly. The points where you want to say out loud, "It would never happen like that in real life!" are far too many. And yes I know it's a horror film with killer monsters so you're supposed to suspend disbelief, but it's the human aspects that are hardest to get on board with. They just get so much stuff wrong, it make it impossible to connect with the characters.

Terrible, terrible film.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Kin hell I don't know who put that list together, but theres some reyt shite on there.

Hereditary 2/10 - shite
Drag me to hell 0/10 - shite
The babadook 6/10 - ok worth a watch, definitely not worthy of being in the top 20

Shaun of the dead - top 100 horror, fo real?, there are loads of other that I

The thing
The shining
The autopsy of jane doe
The conjuring
The fly (1986)
Poltergeist and misery

Should all be in the top 40 at least

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see The Women in Black on that list.

Thats a solid 8/10 creepy as fook ghost story.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harley Davidson and the Marlboro man

1991 film with don Johnson and micky rouke

they rob a security van which is full of drugs and rest of film is about them getting away

I enjoyed it so did wife so 7/10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 08:44 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, the mrs and the lad all went to an IT double bill last night at the local cinema.

IT: chapter one

I've never seen the original, but this was a well written, well acted film with a few jumpscares thrown in. Good cast, with Goonies / Stand By Me vibes all over the shop. I like the Pennywise dude, creepy without being too much. 7.5/10

IT: chapter two

The gang are all grown up and have to return to Derry. Finishing the story with a surprisingly stellar cast (James McAvoy, Jessica Chastain, Bill Hader) and alternating between modern day and 1989, it works well, however it did get a bit convoluted and confusing. Still worth a watch 7/10

We got to the cinema for 7pm for this (started at 7.30), and left at 1. Home and in bed for 2, and up for work at 6. Rather tired today....

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
The perfection (2019) 7/10

Pretty good horror film with some neat twists.
Not for the faint hearted though. I watched before bed and had nightmares.

I watched this the other night, I'd see it get good reports elsewhere, including on a list of films that were supposedly impossible to watch to the end.

I wouldn't go so far as to to say its difficult to watch ( though i may have become some what desensitized to that sort of thing). Its definitely a good watch and there are some fairly gritty bits in there.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the way it flashed back to explain the plot twists just after they happen.

Definitely one to watch though

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ritual (2017) - 5.5/7

another highly rated on horror, on netflix.

4 uni friends meet up to go hiking in sweden, following the murder of another friend earlier.

end up taking a detour through a creepy old forest, Ignoring all the warning signs that something bad is about to happen, folk get fucked up by some norse mythology shenanigans.

Its alright, its never going to win an oscar, but its worth a watch if you're into that sort of thing.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxJt02r91L4

Hitler as an imaginary friend, look no Fuhrer…….
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:42 - 03 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sicario - 9/10.

Great film. Sinister crime narrative set on the US-Mexican border, with cartels, government, corrupt police, rule-bending, and tough intelligent people being tough and intelligent.

Sicario 2, Day of the Soldado - 7/10

Not bad, but not as great as its predecessor. There are a fair few plot holes and unrealistic bits. Same idea as the first one but more focus on bland action and killing. Different director, obviously not as good.

I look forward to the third installment, which is set to be directed by the same guy as the first one. Denis Villeneuve.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 03 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

STUBER 9/10

Stu is an Uber driver, hence Stuber, he picks up angry cop Dave Bautista and he and Stu go on a Police mission across town. I've made that sound shit but it's actually funny.

Stu is the brown cab driver from Deadpool, also stars that guy out of the Raid and Raid 2, Mile 22. Looks like a chinky but isn't, Kung Fu expert.

Good film, very funny. Trailer:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5l6a5RiR1E

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 03 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Blitz - 3/10.

Would make an OK one off crime drama but as a film was pretty low budget.

Statham playing a hard London detective trying to catch a psycho cop killer who's already killed 4. The director tried to pull off a bit of retro London "Snatch" style, but didn't really cut it.

I quite liked it, I'd at least give it 5/10, probably just 'cos London. And loads of GoT actors before they got their golden tickets Smile

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 03 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dead don't die - 6/10

A zombie horror comedy with a triple A cast. I quite enjoyed this one, however I won't probably be watching this ever again.

It's got some good jokes and dialogues. Bill Murray and Adam Driver were actually good in this. Also, Steve Buscemi and Danny Glover were in this.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:23 - 04 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
The Dead don't die - 6/10

A zombie horror comedy with a triple A cast. I quite enjoyed this one, however I won't probably be watching this ever again.

It's got some good jokes and dialogues. Bill Murray and Adam Driver were actually good in this. Also, Steve Buscemi and Danny Glover were in this.

If you like zombie movies the best ones I've seen recently are:

Juan of Dead - seemingly a cash in on the name "Dawn of the Dead" or "Shawn of the Dead" but actually hoodwinks you into a satirical critique of Communist Cuba. 9/10 must watch!

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead - this is a cash in on the whole zombie chic. Blatant, barely original B-movie shite but nonetheless hilarious in a way that Shawn of the Dead isn't. 7/10 recommended.

Zombibi: and then the Dutch have a go. This one is just daft Smile 5/10

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking Bad: El Camino - 4/10

Was that supposed to be a film?

Apparently it's sorta-kinda okay if you've watched Breaking Bad before. I haven't seen it before, and had no idea what I was watching.

All I can surmise is that it's an extended final episode tacked onto the end of the series. Absolute rubbish. Felt like I spent 2 hours waiting for a film that never was. There was nothing to set the scene, or any kind of narrative, no sense of progress or engagement. Nothing!

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netflix - Fractured 8/10

Watched this with the wife last night, really enjoyed it, kept you guessing until the end. It's worthy of an hour forty of your life. Sam Worthington stars as worried father who's child and wife go missing in a hospital. Has replay value.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airplane mode - 2/10
Logan Paul. Being a nob.

Booksmart - 1/10
Acclaimed by critics. Personally, I thought it was sh1te.

Crawl - 6/10
Best of the bunch this weekend (not saying much). Florida flooding and alligator fun.

Incidentally a friend at uni told me Crocodiles and Alligators are the only animals that regard humans as 'prey'. The rest kill in perceived self defence.
I can't comment on the validity of this statement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker 9/10

It's a film that can best be described as a slow burn. Stays with you long after you have left the cinema. Joaquin Phoenix gives the performance of his life, Robert De Niro phones it in, obvs just there for the dollar$. You can't help feel sorry for Joker, you could say circumstance made him the way he turned out. If you get the chance to see it then do so.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:18 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maleficent 2 - 6/10

A good 6.

Ratings for this film are pretty low, and I only watched it because I felt like watching something at the cinema. It was a choice between this or that new Gemini film with Will Smith, which has even worse reviews so we didn't bother.

Maleficent is a Disney film for teenager-adults. It has fighting, action, peril and all those other things that you'd never see in a Disney classic. Angelina Jolie does well as the socially inept, cold hearted but secretly warm hearted evil queen witch lady.

Special effect are good and some parts feel like a slightly diluted Disney version of the Avatar world. In a good way.

Not particularly re-watchable, but still worth a punt.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:46 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deliver Us From Evil 8/10

Netflix took a beating last night and Mrs Pinky and I sat and watched this. The best way to describe it is to say it's a little bit like Stigmata. That jumpy psychological horror. There were a few right creepy bits, some down right jumpy bits and quite a lot of bloody bits.

I loved it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silence
6/10

Deaf girl and family fight some killer bird thingys. Watchable

Midsommar
8/10

American girl and friends go to Swedish Pagan Midsummer festival. Stabby stabbys ensue. Worth a watch.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 24 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminator - Dark fate. 8/10

Some people age well, Arnie does not. Neither does Linda Hamilton. The premise, The Legion (new Skynet) send back a Rev 9 Terminator to kill some Mexican woman who in the future is the leader of the resistance that topples The Legion. The resistance send back an Augmented woman (think a female version of Adam Jensen). She's a bit unstable, not sure if it's because simply put she's a woman or the augmentations make her a bit testy.

Pre Arnie showing his aging mug it's a bit boring, the 2nd half when he shows up it's a lot better. He's now called Carl and sells drapes for a living and has a van with 'Carls drapes - we won't leave you hanging'. No one laughed at that in the cinema, no one. Aimed at out friends across the pond no doubt.

I won't spoil it for you, go and watch it, it's better than 4 and 5 in the series. I'd put them: 2, 1, 6, 3, 5, 4.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 27 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kill Team 9/10

American true story about a group of rogue squaddies that needlessly killed Iraqi citizens on the hunt for Terrorists in the mid 1990's. You empathise with them, colleagues being blown up etc, worth a watch. Alexander Skarsgård takes the lead, enjoyable but questionable.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 27 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:

I won't spoil it for you,
Laughing

Like my mate who told me [Redacted info referring to a character]

A 7/10 from me.

Berserk sound effects. Some of the CGI was the best I've seen especially during the opening scene at the beach.

Storyline unfurled and didn't tie itself in knots (A thicky like me understood it).

We were slap bang in the middle with maybe a dozen or so others scattered around.
Yeah...glad I went to the cinema to watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 153 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 171, 172, 173 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 172 of 194