Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Upper limit for A2 bikes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

salsa
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:59 - 04 Oct 2019    Post subject: Upper limit for A2 bikes? Reply with quote

So I'm currently in the process of getting my A2 license and have been looking at a number of nice bikes out there. What's the exact law on what you can limit down? I know it's up to 94hp (to be limited down to 47), but is that claimed engine horsepower? Or rearwheel power? Or something else?

Would a bike like the zx600D (1990-92) be allowed? That had a claimed 99bhp (engine) at production, but rw was 88, and with age I guess hp would decrease too, right?

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:01 - 04 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://a2bikes.co.uk/

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 04 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legislation is based on a bike manufacturers claimed crankshaft bhp figure for a bike. So it's any bike you like that was a brand new <94bhp bike as quoted by the manufacturer, as long as its not so light that it doesn't exceed the allowed bhp/kg ratio for A2.

What bike is it that you've got your eye on that you are desperately trying to interpret the legislation differently using your reasoning and fudge factors that you claim are legitimate points?

I do not get this whole thing that people ask time after time about worn or 10yr old used bikes definitively having less power than stated usually just by the amount required to sneak into the elegibity bracket for a particular license?

No one would ask such a question if they were not trying to bend the rules to suit their argument for a particular desired bike, as that's human nature. But how strange these human things are eh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:15 - 04 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: Upper limit for A2 bikes? Reply with quote

salsa wrote:
What's the exact law on what you can limit down? I know it's up to 94hp

Would a bike like the zx600D (1990-92) be allowed? That had a claimed 99bhp

You know you're allowed a bike with up to 94bhp therefore you know that a 99bhp bike is not allowed.

Thank you, come again. Wub

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 04 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be properly precise, the legislation is based on kilowatts, not horsepowers, so it’s 35kW maximum (derived from 70kW max).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1