Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Overtaking with finesse?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:53 - 07 Oct 2019    Post subject: Overtaking with finesse? Reply with quote

Warning bit of a ramble this.

Re-thinking overtaking strategy feedback welcome. Got licence last December after 5 months on a 125, got Bandit 600 31st Dec. Since then ridden Bandit a lot, also ride a 125 (both motorcycle and scooter) as have access to other family bikes. Overtaking a bit of a learning curve, a few minor scares etc. But typically doing what I see a lot of other riders doing on the road, hanging back a little, position 3 (or more 3.5) look for opportunity and then blast by. Seeing this all the time with sports bikes etc.

Recently though something hit me like a bucket of cold water in the face, was on the scooter (made more sense than options at the time) running some errands in Bath, so a bit of ride to get there and on way back got the nearest I get to road rage, more like road disgruntled (perhaps writ a strongly worded letter to the Times you know.). Stuck behind a bus in a 50 limit and we are doing 40 (cos hills and twists), so me and car behind have to deal with that for a while, got where there is lane to the right the bus peels off and another lane that filters of to left to by pass a roundabout, idiot in car behind me pull a stupid overtake just as bus leave my horizon, forcing me to slow down (or crash into him). Car is nothing special, I know this logic, shortly there is a nation speed limit ahead "I don't want to be stuck behind a scooter".

Fair enough happens all the time scooter has no L plates but some people see a scooter and or L plates on something and even the most mild mannered get triggered into idiot mode. Used to this so just sigh inside helmet.

Disgruntlement kicks in when said car in front maxes out at 50 in the nice clear nsl road Rolling Eyes . Decide to overtake the dickwad just to educate that some scooters etc. can keep up and maybe think twice about overtaking like a dick in the future. The scooter is one of the faster ones but still overtaking at 50 requires a bit of space so I revert back to car strategy, leave a space cushion for visibility and when I think there may be a space coming start the overtake from back a bit. By the time I close the gap I am doing 60mph, still have the option to pull out and drop back again but got the space so continue (gaining speed to 65 in the process). I am already going 10mph faster than him by the time I get to him making the overtake a bit more brisk than it would be on .... a scooter ...

That gave me pause for thought, why wouldn't I do the same on the Bandit??? so starting to develop similar strategy and have to say it it looking very promising. Already worked out that on a busy rood leaving a bigger cushion from the vehicle in front allows me take a corner a bit more spirited but now that is effective the start of the overtake I just bail if the road around the corner is not clear enough.

Advantages are safer, smoother, look less like a middle age crisis attempting to impress etc. etc. there was a video a while back of someone washing out probably because their speed surge coincide with back wheel crossing something slippy at the worst possible time. I have yet to prove but feel on a longer journey would actually make more progress and be less tiring.

Don't get me wrong I like some acceleration and speed (probably not enough to ever get a proper sports bike though). But feels like there is skill to develop there rather than just blasting past things because you have the hardware.

And yes I am a little bit of an old man... (but I did get to watch the moon landing live Middle Finger )

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 07 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's often called a slingshot style overtake, you start to accelerate in the space you created without being committed until the last moment.
If you drive a slower vehicle like a van or pickup and want to overtake the 50mph dawdlers, a very useful technique, despite being frowned on by some.

There often isn't much point in a constant stream of traffic, you are putting yourself in some danger and are only going to gain a few seconds or a couple of minutes on a typical run.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:15 - 07 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to have finesse to overtake, just power. If your bike doesn't have enough power to overtake easily, get another bike.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:29 - 07 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
It's often called a slingshot style overtake, you start to accelerate in the space you created without being committed until the last moment.

Thanks that helped me find some articles, seems the other approach can be described as "catch match and dispatch". I can see advantages in both, I think my mistake has been getting a bit throttle happy where it wasn't needed.

I am still bouncing around between thinking "hey I can ride these things" and then discovering how much more there is to learn and practice.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:33 - 07 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You don't need to have finesse to overtake, just power. If your bike doesn't have enough power to overtake easily, get another bike.

But then I won't be able to feel the breeze.... Wink

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 07 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:
position 3 (or more 3.5)

What is this?

I used the "big run up" technique with relatively low-powered cars in my youth (I watched the moon landings too!) but it needs planning and an understanding of the road ahead. It's also wise to be prepared to back down.

On a Bandit 650 you ought to be able to fire it past on a whim by knocking it down a couple of gears. Hanging back just adds a few seconds to the overtake.

The other thing is that there is always another opportunity to get past on a two-wheeler so you don't have to take every risky half-chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:02 - 07 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
chris_hu_cheng wrote:
position 3 (or more 3.5)

What is this?

I just meant if you split the lane you are in into three as a lot of people seem to do in explanations 1 being on the left of your lane 3 being to right, 3.5 in my system is just to the left of the centre line.

I agree with you other sentiments though, I will probably use the slingshot approach sometimes on corners with the Bandit where I don't have full visibility and can abort the overtake easily.

I am still learning my way through it all.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 07 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:
I will probably use the slingshot approach sometimes on corners with the Bandit where I don't have full visibility and can abort the overtake easily.

I can think of two long S-bends locally where visibility is good and I'll sometimes overtake on the R1, but generally I'd balk at overtaking on a bend. Like I said, there's always a better opportunity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:57 - 07 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wound up and already at overtaking speed as soon as the gap appears. That's making progress. It's how people make seemingly impossibly tight overtakes on fast bikes.

I'll warn you now though, oncoming drivers can't cope with this. Even though you know you have ample space and time because you were already in third gear doing over 100mph as you came round the corner and started the pass. The guy in the car heading towards you will think he's about to have a head-on and shit himself when you pull out. You'll start getting lights flashed at you and they can and will start swerving about. My mate takes both hands off the bars and holds them out sideways in a "What?" gesture before pulling back in.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 07 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: Overtaking with finesse? Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:
Warning bit of a ramble this

Read and inwardly digest "Motorcycle Roadcraft".

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:36 - 08 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slingshot overtake is not without it's risks. The object vehicle turning right is probably the biggest because they will brake and turn and you'll have nowhere to go. Even just having them slow significantly can mess up your day especially if your overtake also depends on an approaching vehicle also clearing the followed vehicle to create a gap. If that happens to you and you get out of it with your skin intact it's a lesson you'll never forget.

Basically - always give yourself the maximum margin that you can.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:54 - 08 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are overtaking to show dickwad whats what, you are already balls deep in red mist and your judgment is impaired.
Brew time Thumbs Up

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 08 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undertake instead? (that's a joke before anyone starts)

Had a 1 litre Austin Allegro and know all about slingshot overtaking. With those I had to start the overtake two miles before it was needed..

One pointer to remember is that cagers have the advantage of aerodynamics and so overtaking at 50 mph and above can be far more difficult to do on a less powerful bike.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:12 - 08 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for or the feedback, taken some to heart and been reading around the topic, had a chance to practice a bit today (both styles) and better and smoother overtaking already.

A continual learning process this bike riding.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 202 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1