Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The I fell because excuse..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:32 - 08 Oct 2019    Post subject: The I fell because excuse.. Reply with quote

I see this a lot on this forum and in general conversation with other bikers.

How many of you really believe it?

What I am on about is
'I dropped my bike due to diesel'
'I dropped my bike due to a drain cover'
'I dropped my back due to sand on the road'
'I dropped my back due to leaves on the road'

Maybe it's true but I can't help but think to myself.. Really though, maybe it was just cause your was driving a bit crap. Mr. Green

It just seems these excuses are really overused. Heck even then you should know not to slam on your brakes or the accelerator if your going over a slippery surface.

Expecting some hate Mr. Green

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 08 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly happened in the days when Bridgestones made crap plastic OEM tyres for Japanese 2 smokes. I know!

Dunlop TT100's and Avon Roadrunners caused me to have a twitchy anus a time or two as well. Embarassed

Modern tyres have pretty well eliminated most of those worries however whacking the throttle open on a busa coming out of a corner on a wet road can cause palpitations and a risk of road rash. Laughing

Nowadays it's a case of not reading the road conditions in MOST cases.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 08 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: The I fell because excuse.. Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:

What I am on about is

Maybe it's true but I can't help but think to myself.. Really though, maybe it was just cause your was driving a bit crap. Mr. Green

It just seems these excuses are really overused. Heck even then you should know not to slam on your brakes or the accelerator if your going over a slippery surface.

I dropped my bike because I forgot I wasn't driving my car and and went to take my foot off the accelerator instead of easing off on the throttle.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 08 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: The I fell because excuse.. Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:

Your back fell off?

Must have been a bit drafty.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped my bike because I was too cold.

Jan or Feb this year. Pulled over on the b4009 into an unofficial layby, braked too hard as I came to a standstill and front slipped on mud.

This happened because I was cold and miserable, and my concentration had gone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:11 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dropped a YBR on mud (rain, across road, straight out of a corner). No way I was going to avoid it, so minimised it as much as possible. Got away with scraped bar ends.

Diesel happens. It's not uncommon on industrial estates.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 06:25 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A driving instructor once told me - and I'm paraphrasing here - "theres no such thing as an accident, its just a collision somebody didn't plan for". Since he taught bus driving, I'm prepared to admit that the rules are a little different on two wheels. That being said, lots and lots of accidents (apologies, collisions that people didn't plan for) are plainly down to people just not taking the conditions in front of them into account, like slipping on leaves which are generally far more obvious than diesel.

I read a stat once, more than half of road incidents occur within the first 5 minutes of the journey in question. How many of these are down to people still being half asleep, or pissed off because they just left work?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:19 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: The I fell because excuse.. Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:

What I am on about is

There needs to be a special category for the Most Magnificent Trollery.

I ALWAYS have an excuse for when I fuck things up. Embarassed

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:19 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

crisp packet... (a member of this forum genuinely said this).

I genuinely did fall off because I hit a boot in the road. Someone had discarded it. It was a size 14 workboot and I hit it sole toward me which sent my bike into a tankslapper.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:31 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain and interior fogging.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped my bike because I had forgotten I'd taken the side car off.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:56 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One I've heard more than once is 'i crashed due to the car in front braking suddenly'

Hang on mate you rear ended the car in front not the other way round. Laughing

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've genuinely used the diesel one to good effect, the real reason I somersaulted over the bars was going in way too hot on a roundabout and banging on the front brake too hard.

Front end washed out beneath me, clipped kerb, ejected over the front.

However, while not resulting in an accident, ice has taken me by surprise a few times since and wasn't obvious.
So has loose gravel at junctions, and between lanes, even though it was observed.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:12 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came off my bike numerous times because of Barum tyres.

It took me a while to realise this was something under my control at which point I changed them.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of truth in that. Even saw a guy fall off coming away from the lights once because of poor throttle control, and then look around for a big enough piece of gravel, and level the blame at it. But I was right behind and I saw everything. Wink

It might be an American thing that's osmotically migrated over to this side of the pond. They often blame something or someone else. I hear they can't ride on grass clippings over there either. It's a thing. You can't call them up on it, either, because they don't handle disagreement or alternative views that well. Saw a Youtube video of a guy ambling about at 25 on an enormous open street with perfect flat tarmac, only to fly into a rage and berate a man mowing his lawn by the side of the road about the danger he posed to motorcyclists' lives!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDwz2bmey0
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:41 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped my bike at night on a dead flat road because I ran over a 1" thick bolt Laughing

I can't really remember how I went from jump to slide, but I probably grabbed the front brake as I used to keep two fingers on it Very Happy

Then I learned to pay more attention and have avoid many crashes since then!

I do run over the occasional thing though.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully I've only dropped two bikes. The first was the Superlight parking it up in my garden: lost balance and it tipped over... onto grass so harm no foul.

The second time I jumped off the MT07 during training and thought I'd put the side stand down: lost balance and it tipped over... onto me Shocked

Luckily I was wearing decent boots and CE armour trousers and came away with a bruised ego. Bike was unscathed Smile

So both times the reason was "I iz muppet" which, in truth, is what most people avoid stating in their own explanations Very Happy

Oh, you mean actually sliding down the road in a horizontal fashion? No but the closest I've come is mashing the back brake instead of the front on the Superlight (aforementioned unexpected braking ahead event) and the back end did a little dance but was only doing ~20mph at the time so held it together.

The road I live on has a real dome in the centre of the camber (with a shiney-shiney bead of tar down the centre) and every bike I've ever ridden slides all over the place if I go down the centre of the road (parked cars either side ofc) so I get to practice sliding about every single day. I suppose that helps Rolling Eyes

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Rain and interior fogging.

If only there was a product on the market that could remove at least one of those issues... Thinking

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one and only time I have ever put a bike down was because of a crab apple. I was in the saddle, manoeuvring it backwards and stepped on a crab apple which had fallen from a nearby tree. The apple rolled meaning I lost my footing and dropped it on its left hand side.

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped a bike some years ago by braking on gravel, but had an embarrassing drop a couple of months ago, approaching a mini roundabout, car coming from the left indicating right, made the assumption that it was going to come of on my road, slowed to let it enter, but instead of coming off it carried round in front of me to re enter the road it left, instead of stopping to let it through I slowed right down, became almost stationary and was too slow to put my foot down, result a stationary drop because I lost balance.
Never happened to me before, bad judgement, poor riding and poor anticipation of other road uses.
But there was a leaf on the road as well.

What is annoying is that I have been polishing my off road skills on the Himalayan and have been improving balance and control on the green lanes, then drop the Tracer in front of an audience at a roundabout, was a bummer.

Last edited by om15 on 14:05 - 09 Oct 2019; edited 1 time in total

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped by bike once going through a ford, algae can be slippery stuff!

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped my then recently acquired FZS600 doing a U-turn, seems the Fazer doesn't have the same turning circle as a YBR.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came off my XJ because I was riding like a twat.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I came off my XJ because I was riding like a twat.

This sounds familiar Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 172 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3