Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

reusable oil filters.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: reusable oil filters. Reply with quote

Scratching around the internet and came across these - stainless steel oil filters.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OUTLAW-RACING-SUZUKI-DR-Z400-DRZ400-STAINLESS-STEEL-RE-USEABLE-OIL-FILTER/110899903610?epid=8004464987&hash=item19d2263c7a:g:2oAAAOxyY9VRIhWU

Does anyone use them? Any advice on them?? Useless???

Just a consideration because I change oil and filters often and it will pay for itself.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, but my guess would be a PITA to get fully clean each time. Greta will love you (hate you less) though.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about these. K&N filter style and foam can hold some oil to help clean out dust from the air. I wouldn't think steel holds onto oil as well. Cleaning would just be the same as K&N I guess.

I did see a YouTube vid of a guy lobbing various cr*p at a motocross foam filter. The conclusion was that oiled / not oiled a filter would stop everything but ultra fine dust (think salt flats.) Take from that what you will.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen something similar advertised for Harleys, but they were made in USA, cnc machined ,laser cut, etc etc with prices to match. They look much nicer and shinier than the standard filters and are apparently far superior. There were some quite technical reviews where they really went into assessing the flow rate and filtration. Some faired better than others, some only performed about the same as a standard filter, and there is the question of whether better than spec flow rate really matters, and whether improved filtration was of any benefit in an air cooled 'basic' engine. Cleaning them was also messy and time consuming.
The faffing about cleaning it is what puts me off.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: wot e said. ^

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that some small bikes have a mesh rather than a replaceable filter (my CB250RS had one), the thought doesn't fill me with dread if you were to change the oil every couple of thousand miles.

I'm interested to find what the largest capacity bike that has just a mesh screen as standard is, now Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applaud the concept, how many oil filters go to landfill?
but agree about getting them 'fully clean' every time.
The cleaning could be a messy chore but I'm now thinking
of a liquid and mechanical rinsing method rather than white sprit and old underpants

dishwasher? would er indoors go mental?
Ultrasonics? and cycle a few? ie one in use, one or two being cleaned

As to efficiency, not sure
I dont think we really know how efficient the ones
we're using now are and hope the name on the box is to be trusted.
they dont stop the oil turning black do they?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
Not sure about these. K&N filter style and foam can hold some oil to help clean out dust from the air. I wouldn't think steel holds onto oil as well. Cleaning would just be the same as K&N I guess.

I did see a YouTube vid of a guy lobbing various cr*p at a motocross foam filter. The conclusion was that oiled / not oiled a filter would stop everything but ultra fine dust (think salt flats.) Take from that what you will.

The post is about oil filters, not air. Thumbs Up

Doh! I looked at the pic and it looks exactly like the breather filter that's an ornament on my desk. Damn you, flu!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: reusable oil filters. Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Does anyone use them? Any advice on them?? Useless???

Just a consideration because I change oil and filters often and it will pay for itself.

Finding good iinformation on how efficient they are and how much sludge they can hold, let alone a scientific cpomparison, looks difficult. Parhaps there are ISO standards tests applicable to findout about what does and doesn't conform to (whatever)?

The interesting thing, all else being equal, seems to be "How do you clean them properly; what cost is associated with cleaning" and of course what time would be spent cleaning them.

Another possibility, at a guess: with a new "paper" filter each time, if there's an imperfection, it will be gone when you change the filter. If you have an imperfect "lifetime" filter, or it is damaged somehow, for instance during cleaning, how do you know, and what then?

The vendors do seem very fond of them though!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important quality is what a filter holds back from the Oil flow. The micron size. And what the filter media is made from or what treatments have been added to improve functions.

https://www.lube4life.com/oilfilters.htm

Smaller engines are not stressed as much as bigger machine so expected wear is less. Regular services mean any evil will be found before major damage has been done. And repair may be relatively less costly.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And washing an engine filter out would require a lot of resources. Paraffin/petrol and much phapherisma.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: reusable oil filters. Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

You do not have to change the filter with every oil change.

Also, £23?! + What MCN says about cleaning.

Hiflo filters are like £6. Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:48 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
The post is about oil filters, not air. Thumbs Up

Well, to be fair, K&N also makes oil filters and they are equally as crap as their air filters. Razz

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
...they (filters) dont stop the oil turning black do they?

That is not what oil filters were designed for. They only filter out all the metal shavings (gearbox, cam shafts, bearings, piston rings... you name it) and other debris such as the bits of your clutch plates; TL; DR: the stuff that makes the oil abrasive. The oil turns black because it gets contaminated, mainly with carbon deposits inside the engine (blow by, rich mixture, exhaust valves). A friend of mine has a '98 CBR 919 RR and when he drains the oil, after the season (let's say 3500+ miles), the oil comes out as clean as the fresh oil right out of the bottle. On the other hand, I had a ZX7R, where the oil got dark black after about 60 miles of usage. We both use/d the same Motul 5100 10W40 oil and the same Hiflo filters.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought the whole point is to keep all the shite in one place so you can dump it easily and safely not wash it out into the environment to kill asthmatic kittens!

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use reuseable oil filters on the KTM and the XR-SM.They are easy to clean and the flow rate is as good if not better than a standard Honda or KTM paper filters.I measured this by pouring a certain amount of oil into each filter over a time.There was no restriction on flow rate when the oil was at ambient temperature so I would expect the flow rate to be even less restrictive when the oil is at operating temperature.
To clean I soak them in hot water with washing up liquid.Nothing fancy or corrosive and not damaging to the environment as far as I am concerned.

Definitely worth the investment,especially after a few oil changes.The KTM only holds about one litre of fully synthetic so it gets changed more often than that in the XR-SM.I then clean the filter/filters at every oil change,which is ideal for keeping an eye on what,if anything,is being caught by the filters.On a paper filter,a sharp piece of metal is more likely to tear its way through,whereas the stainless steel mesh catches debris.

On the Honda there are two other oil filters,both of the metal mesh type.On the KTM,there are four filters,two of which are plastic mesh type.

Always have a 'Plan B'

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 11 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of interesting considerations and that last answer is great - cleaning it was potentially a nightmare. I'd visioned paraffin in an ultrasonic bath! I never thought about soapy water lol.

With oil changes I don't even let the bike get to 1k miles before doing them. Although it holds more than the KTM (mine holds 1.9 litres absolute max after an engine rebuild say) it still doesn't hold a lot. I don't hold back when riding either which means oil is worked hard.
My main concern was actual filtration. Must say I'm very tempted with the idea.

Oh - it does have a normal steel mesh screen. It bolts into the bottom of the frame oil tank (dry sump and separate). I never see things in that filter but saying that, the mesh size is quite large.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 11 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Lots of interesting considerations and that last answer is great - cleaning it was potentially a nightmare. I'd visioned paraffin in an ultrasonic bath! I never thought about soapy water lol.

With oil changes I don't even let the bike get to 1k miles before doing them. Although it holds more than the KTM (mine holds 1.9 litres absolute max after an engine rebuild say) it still doesn't hold a lot. I don't hold back when riding either which means oil is worked hard.
My main concern was actual filtration. Must say I'm very tempted with the idea.

Oh - it does have a normal steel mesh screen. It bolts into the bottom of the frame oil tank (dry sump and separate). I never see things in that filter but saying that, the mesh size is quite large.

Your adding to oil and other pollutants in the water table washing them in Fairy. Unless you collect the dirty water for certified disposal.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 11 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had some parafin/white spirit in an old ice cream tub in a corner for instance
you could rinse the SS filter in that and at the next change the crap would mostly be settled on the bottom and stay there as long as you didnt agitate it too much.
stinkshun rebelyun dude! Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:16 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixing a non-problem really.

Where it gets really interesting is with re-usable oil... Mate of mine is using royal purple race oil in his endurance racer. You drain it at the end of a race, put it through a paper coffee filter then put it back in for the next race.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Fixing a non-problem really.

Where it gets really interesting is with re-usable oil... Mate of mine is using royal purple race oil in his endurance racer. You drain it at the end of a race, put it through a paper coffee filter then put it back in for the next race.

Doesn't the oil degrade with heat? Recycled oil is a thing, but the process is quite a bit more elaborate than just filtering debris out.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Doesn't the oil degrade with heat? Recycled oil is a thing, but the process is quite a bit more elaborate than just filtering debris out.

It's worse than that, Rhyno, their molecules get can degraded by gears and rotating things and reciprocating bits 'n' bobs, and all sorts of unpleasant things happen to them. There's a nice pert little pdf here: https://www.wearcheck.co.za/shared/Tech_Bulletin_52_lowres.pdf for people to object to Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:10 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

It does eventually but it's very, very high quality synthetic oil so the service interval is massively increased.

Mobil 1 is similar, they reckon you could quite happily double the oil change intervals if you're using that before it's degraded to the same point as standard oil. The royal purple racing stuff is even more so. It's also about £45 a litre.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1