BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha FZS600

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

liladams1
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:17 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Yamaha FZS600 Reply with quote

Hello guys, purchased a bit beated up fzs 600 as a project to fix up for the summer
It has 51K on in apparently my question is any of you can tell me the things I need to look out for
It has 2 main issues at the moment
1 carb is leaking petrol and bike hesistates at low revs but rides through it
Has an oil leak but didnt get the chance to check yet.
I want to make it reliable for at least the summer
I will change plugs, oil filter, oil, check air filter anything else you guys can think of?

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: Yamaha FZS600 Reply with quote

liladams1 wrote:

1 carb is leaking petrol and bike hesistates at low revs but rides through it
Has an oil leak

Then you'll need to take the carbs off, inspect, clean and possibly rebuild them with new parts. Then identify where the leak is and fix that; might need a new gasket somewhere or may have been cracked/damaged.

Once that's sorted it might well have cured the hesitation but that's something you might have to fine tune when you stopped all the leaks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

General service is a must on a bike you don't know much about, so oil, filters, plugs, check brakes for free operation and chain, headstock, barings and pads for wear. Suspension was never the best but inspect it for free play and damping.

I think the rear brake on these is a known area of trouble, location of it means it gets full of crap and can stick.

Breather system blockage might be part of the oil leak cause.

Only problem I had other than a puncture was dodgy connection to spark plugs, so new leads fixed that.

While you're under the tank for the plugs just remove the carbs in one lump, drain them, clean and inspect needle valves and float heights.

In the meantime be careful that fuel isn't washing through and locking/damaging the cylinder(s).

Carb rubbers of this age can crack and leak, or might not have been put back right last time.

Balance the carbs last of all to finish the job.

liladams1
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:59 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased a Hayes manual, so I get to understand how this come apart ans go back together Very Happy

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the mags which runs a Thundercat (same motor) found an oil leak from a corroded feed pipe - I think to the head.
Just sayin'.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1