Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I wanna ask for a help with choosing my first bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

annxbastet
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:29 - 11 Oct 2019    Post subject: I wanna ask for a help with choosing my first bike Reply with quote

Hello guys!

I am just before my practical exam for A driving licence and I am riding my scooter for few years already. As soon as my licence will be done I wanna buy a new bike but I can't decide. I am doubting between two very different bikes and I don't know which one will be better for a beginner. First one is Honda Shadow 600 or 750, because my dream is to have a Harley hehe. The second one was Suzuki V-storm 250, because I am doing my license on Kawasaki ER-6n and this bike is reminding me of it. I want to ask you, more experienced riders, what would you advice me to go for as a first bike. I am little bit worried about weight of Shadow and as well of the fact that it doesn't have ABS, as I live in Amsterdam and here is raining almost daily.

Thank you very much for every small advice!

Anna

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 11 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first motorcycle is just like the first girlfriend. You choose whatever catches your eye. The second motorcycle is an educated and thoughtful decision. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 11 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father-in-law has a Shadow. It's a big effing bike! I wouldn't recommend it as your first beginner bike. Well, maybe if you're expecting to cruise some fair distance. It's a very comfy bike for a long run.

Personally I can't say I care for the Vstrom's looks. If you learned to ride on the ER-6n how about a Vulcan. Sort of half way to a proper cruiser.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 11 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: I wanna ask for a help with choosing my first bike Reply with quote

annxbastet wrote:
I live in Amsterdam and here is raining almost daily

Be the talk of the town!

Buy a Gibbs Biski!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPRhA_kDmKY

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 11 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you also worried about the rain on your visor?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 11 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: I wanna ask for a help with choosing my first bike Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
annxbastet wrote:

Be the talk of the town!

Buy a Gibbs Biski!

Initially I thought: "huh, that's kinda kewl!" and then I realised you're making one device to do two jobs at best adequately instead of two devices excelling in their respective rolls.

annxbastet
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:48 - 12 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
My father-in-law has a Shadow. It's a big effing bike! I wouldn't recommend it as your first beginner bike. Well, maybe if you're expecting to cruise some fair distance. It's a very comfy bike for a long run.

Personally I can't say I care for the Vstrom's looks. If you learned to ride on the ER-6n how about a Vulcan. Sort of half way to a proper cruiser.

Thank you so much for advice! Do you think 600cc will be ok to start with?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 12 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter, just start slow, don't push your luck too much too early.

Oh, and all the white stuff on the tar is hot lava when it gets wet. Wink

annxbastet
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:56 - 12 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: I wanna ask for a help with choosing my first bike Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
annxbastet wrote:

Be the talk of the town!

Buy a Gibbs Biski!

Hahaha you made me laugh a lot. Cruising around the canals here on it can be cool Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 12 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

annxbastet wrote:
Thank you so much for advice! Do you think 600cc will be ok to start with?

Well you rode an ER-6n, what size engine does that have?! I've not rode both but I would have thought the Vulcan would be a bit tamer but tuned for a touch more torque. Torque over speed, more useful for a beginner IMHO.

Worst case scenario: the Vulcan scares the crap out of you Shocked Get a restrictor kit fitted to take it down to an A2 while you get used to it.

<addendum> I too have a penchant for cruisers and classic bikes but I went for a Honda Rebel but I wouldn't recommend the Rebel unless you're a) a short-arse and b) doing lots of urban/city journeys.

dirtbike0810
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vstrom 250 will be quite a bit different to a er6n. If you like the shadow, what about a Yamaha xv535?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obligatory CB600F (Honda Hornet) or the CBR600F, emphasis on the F - The RR is a different beast altogether.

Neither will set your world on fire, but are a step up from the ER6N, and docile enough unless you start giving it handfuls of throttle.

Once you've mastered one of them, then look about moving up, cruisers are *heavy*, get used to a bigger bike first. Neither bike is going to lose lots of value when sellign them on if you still want a cruiser.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 01:34 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the Vstrom 250 you'll get very bored very quickly. It won't be potent enough. Mind you depends on how you like to ride. It'll have plenty of poke for town and city riding.

Personally I would recommend something like an SV650 or an FZS600 or a Bandit 600 or a Hornet 600. They're all pretty good all rounders and beginner friendly. But if it's cruiser-style you're after any of the lightweight cruisers should suit a lady rider (assuming relatively shorter in stature to your average Male rider). Never having ridden one personally I can't comment from first hand experience but I wouldn't have thought the size and weight of these bikes would be a problem because of the relatively low seat heights of these bikes so you'll have more of the soles of your feet on the ground and more strength in your legs to control it and balance it while stationary through being able to bend your knees more as a result of the lower seat height. Even riding, I understand the lower seat height gives a lower centre of gravity and therefore a more stable and beginner friendly ride. So long as it's not much more than about 200kg you should be just fine, and I think most if not all of them are under 200kg. We're talking VT600 Shadow, VT750 Shadow, Vulcan S, XV535 Virago, XVS650 Dragstar, etc.

Don't be put off by bigger displacement bikes, even litre bikes, so long as you're sensible and cautious they don't HAVE to be the squid slayers that many would claim them to be. Only thing you do need to bear in mind is whatever it is needs to be manageable in terms of weight and seat height.

Don't dwell too long on your first bike. You've obviously got a rough idea of what you want but just pick something up cheap and don't travel too far to get it because in the first year you'll most likely either drop it or get bored of it. Make your dream bike your 2nd or 3rd bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1