Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dealing with the DT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:08 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's alive... ALIVE!!!

The sun came out for a bit so no time to waste Smile Mixed up some 30:1 to err on the side of caution and hooked up a little test tank.

The carb pissed out fuel from the choke and float overflows... feck Sad but it was probably just some shite in there - I didn't actually clean it out as a) the carb is the wrong one b) it looks pretty battered and c) I'm a lazy fuck - anyhoo it stopped pissing after a bit.

Tried kicking it over a few times. Nothing. Tried the choke. Nothing. Pulled the plug: lovely spark. Tried again. Nothing. Gave it a bit of throttle. Almost! And then it fired up Smile

I had that silencer with the sheared bolts just cable tied to the frame. I wanted to just see if it was actually usable and I was quite surprised it sounded pretty good! Classic 2 smoke sound but not anywhere near as loud as I though it might be. So definitely worth repairing Smile

A couple of amusing asides: I forgot to fit the ignition switch so I'm assuming the busted one has previously been jammed in the running position, handy!

And the kill switch doesn't work Shocked

You'd think a bike that hadn't been started in years would die instantly without some attention but nope! Thankfully I'd only fed a few thimbles worth of fuel to the carb so I just left it to run dry Smile

Okay, so probably not really worth all that effort as it's all going to get stripped anyway but I thought it a useful exercise to have "this definitely runs... and runs pretty good!" in the back of your mind when at some point the pile of parts in front of you looks a little overwhelming.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Bike looks quite saveable.
When you're getting plastic tubs you may want get a biggish one you can use for electrolytic rust removal.
That, water, washing soda (sodium carbonate) as an electrolyte
and and old battery charger will sort it.
Done it myself on various items and it worked a treat.
That seat pan could be saved I reckon

Yeah, might have a go at that. Been watching "Really Random Channel" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKWkhqAHjW4x2oRK_yzpxlA and the guy not only galvanises his screws he passivates them yellow or blue Smile

The seat pan just needs going over with a wire wheel and repainting. The old cover and foam are mostly intact; I can't reuse them but they make for a good template - especially shaping new foam to size.

The engine scrape plate though? Is it worth getting that powder coated?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as I was successful in starting the engine I thought I'd treat myself by looking at some easy-peasy stuff Smile

The engine scrape plate / protector / stone guard... whatever you want to call it looked like this:

https://i.imgur.com/4W4seUN.jpg?1

Quick buzz of the wire wheel to get rid of the loose stuff:

https://i.imgur.com/cMCC4E3.jpg?1

And then an nice coating of rust converter/protector:

https://i.imgur.com/ndqfVyG.jpg?1

Scratch the stupid comment on powder coating this. The whole point of a guard is to be a sacrificial device to protect the engine. Powder coating would be a waste - it's tough but not indestructible - so I'm just going to spray it with some stone chip underbody paint and repaint it as and when it needs it.

Looking at the seat...

Oh dear! The cover is obviously a write-off - no surprise there. I'm more worried about the state of the metal around the edges. Half the teeth that grip the cover either have or soon will disintegrate:

https://i.imgur.com/wVF9M6c.jpg?1

And the rest of the metal around the edge? Well I'm not sure it is metal any more:

https://i.imgur.com/LLLIDa4.jpg?1

Seat covers, no problem. Shaving foam to size, straightforward. That edge though Sad

Comments welcome Smile

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:14 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seat cover can be glued in place if the spikes are majority rusted to bits / missing. As to the rest of the rot, I’d get it blasted and see what’s left.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the seat often rot badly under the foam where moisture has been held in contact with the base
You'll see how good/bad it is when you take to foam off.
Nil desperendum though old boy,
my seat was worse than yours when I repaired it

As for edges:
Go to your local upholstery shop and buy tacking strip
It's usually galvanised and dead cheap
Just be warned the spikes dont like to be worked much
so if you have keep repositioning the cover they may break off.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.cTZDsFOD2XUF_JD6fgbZEQHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:54 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pull the seat material further towards the middle and secure it with pop rivets or self tappers. Or even a heavy duty staple gun might be man enough to pop through the steel, works on plastic ones.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:10 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCF... the gift that keeps on giving! You've cheered me up no end with your suggestions, chaps Thumbs Up

I did click buy on one of those cheap Chinese generic seats... I would say I feel a little foolish for being so hasty but a) it was only £15 and b) there aren't as many good condition seat pans about - for reasonable money - as one would hope these days. It'll be an interesting side experiment to attempt adapting it anyway.

Anyhoo, we shall see what is left tomorrow if I have some time Smile

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to add, just commenting to watch the thread.

Looks like a cool project. Karma

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:02 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did consider making a layup mould of a rusty seatpan and making my own out of fiberglass at one point.

It turns out I'm too lazy.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I did consider making a layup mould of a rusty seatpan and making my own out of fiberglass at one point.

It turns out I'm too lazy.

The slightly easier way I've seen is wrap the prospective area on the bike in cling-film and lay the fibre class and resin on top of that.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:15 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

The slightly easier way I've seen is wrap the prospective area on the bike in cling-film and lay the fibre class and resin on top of that.

That's how you make a layup mould, you then use the resulting casting as a mould.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:56 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, "you know nothing, John Snow!" colour me educated. I somehow pictured you moulding something out of the old seat pan itself Rolling Eyes

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Low carbon dude

Cover inside of seat with cling film
Shutter ends with old plywood/hardboard/gaffer taoe
pour in concrete
let it set then turn it over.
Nick a neighbours wheelie bin one night empty it into another
neighbours bin and
cut large sheets out of it and hide the evidence!

use a hot air gun and mould it to shape
trim edges and Bobs yer uncle, new rot proof seat pan
c'est magnifique!

When the neighbours ask if you've seen their bin just lie like fuck
say probly crusties/pikeys/johnny foreigner and stuff and shake your head
tutting in disgust

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:29 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Go Low carbon dude

Cover inside of seat with cling film
Shutter ends with old plywood/hardboard/gaffer taoe
pour in concrete
let it set then turn it over.
Nick a neighbours wheelie bin one night empty it into another
neighbours bin and
cut large sheets out of it and hide the evidence!

use a hot air gun and mould it to shape
trim edges and Bobs yer uncle, new rot proof seat pan
c'est magnifique!

When the neighbours ask if you've seen their bin just lie like fuck
say probly crusties/pikeys/johnny foreigner and stuff and shake your head
tutting in disgust

And once you've done that, cut the wheels and axle from the bin. They make for great sack barrows. Apparently.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
And once you've done that, cut the wheels and axle from the bin. They make for great sack barrows. Apparently.

Oh I think it was you that suggested JIS screwdrivers from Machine Mart. Got a set today and only just over £8 Smile

Big help:

https://i.imgur.com/YNdpKOE.jpg?1

Looks a bit sad now Sad But yes, there were some mashed screws where someone in the past had used an "ordinary" screwdriver but the JIS ones did the job flawlessly Thumbs Up

Still the wheels, engine and suspension to strip off but at least I can just grab a random bag or box and buff/repaint/replace at my leisure Very Happy

The expansion chamber / down pipe was surprisingly easy to remove. "What is this? Screwdriver or spanner?" neither! Someone's already gone and put some hex-head bolts on and I didn't even need WD40. Nice!

The handlebar switches are... okay but they are pretty old and worn. I wonder what ppl's opinion is on these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-7-8-Handlebar-Left-Turn-Signal-Light-Hi-Lo-Beam-Switch-Control-Horn/183264469007
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-Yamaha-PY-80-PW-80-Throttle-Housing-On-Off-Control-Kill-Switch/182888284133

Not exactly the original style but at least they're cast metal and not plastic. The piss-poor red paint can easily be remedied but the cost... feck! Here's a "proper" one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-DT100-DT125-DT250-DT360-DT400-YZ80-RH-HANDLEBAR-SWITCH-CLUSTER/112930931464

And therein lies the central problem: what is acceptable when restoring a bike?

I would imagine replacing all the original bolts with stainless steel would draw no attention. Using hex-head bolts? Some tutting at least. An aftermarket silencer and switches vaguely in keeping with the original style? "Sorry, old chap, the Interweb-Blogosphere-Echo-Chamber has spoken: you're to be taken out and shot at dawn."

Now I'm considering a "Daymaker" headlamp to really throw the cat amongst the pigeons Twisted Evil

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one forum I'm on you get 'Galvanic corrosion!" screamed at you if you suggest using SS bolts in Alloy cases
Steel is less reactive and some SS bolts aren't as strong as the steel ones they replace

You pays yer money and all that

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
On one forum I'm on you get 'Galvanic corrosion!" screamed at you if you suggest using SS bolts in Alloy cases
Steel is less reactive and some SS bolts aren't as strong as the steel ones they replace

You pays yer money and all that

FFS, now I've gone down the rabbit hole of Galvanic Corrosion Shocked But I can now see why ppl go for galvanised bolts over stainless steel with regards to alloy crank cases.

Most illuminating!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:18 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use the original steel bolts cleaned up but will and have used a SS bolt or screw at times
Mostly in steel though.
I have SS hex head cap screws in my alloy bar switches
which have been in there for a few years now and I saw no signs of
corrosion recently when feckin about with the bars and stuff.

I also have two 10mm bolts for the rear engine mounts and they
show no signs volcanic corruption after 10 years in all weathers either.

Mind you I do tend to slather grease on any bolts I fit which probably has insulating properties.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:57 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the price and because of how you electronically tinker I'd just buy those cheapo switches. You can replace internal contacts at will if they're rubbish - because you know how to. (I can't help but think that one person is employed by the manufacturer to only paint the red into the switch body - soul destroying stuff!)

With regards how far to take the restoration. Number one is safety. Number two I'd say is stopping any more corrosion. Honestly as long as it runs OK and sounds OK then I wouldn't complain.
Once it's road legal you won't give a sh*t anyway - you'll be grinning and caring about nothing.
Perhaps in years to come a partial restoration will make it desirable to some buyers - the main work is done with log book and getting it running reliably?

Just looking at the frame, wheels and engine in it like that and I know exactly what it feels like to ride. How it handles, the sounds, the smells.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post sums up this person and project perfectly. We will have to give some encouragement to an electronics autist to go full out on at least a few crazy invented problems to solve and indulge their creativity.

This was never going to be a simple take it all apart, de-rust it, paint it, restore the separate parts and bolt it all back together job, you'd be crazy to think that logically.

But people are mentioning galvanic corrosion and you can see that's making OP's brain cogs spool to N1 speed. It's a poser and a conundrum and a point of contention or for's and againsts, and this sort of individual just loves things like that.

Never the less it's a good project base, a cool bike and I'm interested in seeing it done no matter what direction it takes with OP at the healm. I forecast lots of questions and agonising over the mechanicals too, and maybe stuff like 3pages of debate on the relationship between compression pressure and squish clearance.

I think most BCF'ers who've built a few a few bikes agree that getting stuff done to an Mot safe standard and keeping up the momentum of a project are the key things. Agonising, indecision and not making a few guesses along the way are the enemy of finishing projects. Making 10bad decisions that one day may cause an issue is called gaining experience and its far more valuable than a theoretical perfect incomplete bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:41 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ask myself, what's it for?

If you want to go enter it in a show, well stay original.

If you want to ride it. Do what seems sensible, cost effective and functional.

I just painted my 350 bullet frame with grey skip paint (cold cure machine enamel). Sensible: tick. Cost effective: tick. Functional: Tick. In any way original? Nope. Will upset purists? Not as much as fitting metric fasteners and definately not as much as fitting japanese switchgear's going to.

They £80 ebay special shocks are going to cause apoplexy.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have simple rules
Build a good bike first, make it look pretty later ( only if you want to of course)

Most bike purists are terrfied to ride the feckers after an obsessive rebuld lest it get wet/dirty/scratched or horror of horrors,used.
Cant be doing with that attitude myself and have enjoyed winding guys up when they say "it's only done (piddling) miles"
I ask "Why? what's wrong with it?"

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I think most BCF'ers who've built a few a few bikes agree that getting stuff done to an Mot safe standard and keeping up the momentum of a project are the key things. Agonising, indecision and not making a few guesses along the way are the enemy of finishing projects. Making 10bad decisions that one day may cause an issue is called gaining experience and its far more valuable than a theoretical perfect incomplete bike.

Yes, let's keep it real, thanx Smile

My intentions are just to have "an experience." I'm not intending to go to shows with it. I'm sure I'll make a pilgrimage to Box Hill or the Ace Cafe - be rude not to - but other than finishing it and revving it in front of some climate change protesters I'm not quite sure what I'll do with it after that... have a go at green laning next year maybe. Worse ways to get some fresh air.

I'll continue with restoring to working order and sub in parts that at least take a nod to the style of the bike if not the exact era...

I think fitting a Daymaker headlamp is a step too far (plus I'd need to redo the electrics for 12V) but if I did happen to see a 6V bulb replacement that could handle AC then who's to know Wink

Anyhoo, the wife's gone round to see her dad this evening. You're on your own, whatcha gonna do? Watch some vids and polish something Shifty So I've been following a guy doing a hard-tail conversion of a Royal Enfield Bullet while I take the Autosol to the chrome handlebars. Huh? What? You had a different mental image? Shame on you!

Found some wire wool with so many O's you'd swear it was cotton wool dyed grey and had at it:

https://i.imgur.com/WZ0mf7F.jpg?1

I really should have done a before photo but it's come up pretty well. Might have another go over them if I get bored but certainly good enough to avoid clicking buy on overpriced NOS.

If the chrome indicators are in the next bag I promise to do a before and after Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:11 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indicators came up nice, before:

https://i.imgur.com/OVbHyjE.jpg?1

After:

https://i.imgur.com/2U93xfy.jpg?1

Done all four tonight. I dunno what the two spare indicator assemblies were from - the mounts look like you'd put them somewhere around the forks rather than on the handlebars - but the lens are the same and I needed a donor for a cracked one plus a mashed rubber sealing ring.

Made a note of the bolt/nut/washer sizes while I was at it. The bolts especially have a tendency to disintegrate into rust as I found on the old scooter rebuild.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's a bit disappointing.
This is BCF, when the photographer gets in a reflection
we like to see they're only wearing their filthy underpants and string vest
or a dressing gown falls open to reveal the horrors beneath.
Moar shame and embarassment needed
4/10 must try harder

summat like this

https://imgur.com/lIL2NmO.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 179 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11