Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice on latest supersport bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

chainsmoker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:24 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Advice on latest supersport bikes Reply with quote

I am looking into my next bike, sold the previous one; an 99 VFR800 in the spring, and will be looking to replace it next spring. Having only ridden old bikes (the youngest was a 2005 GSXr1000), what are the latest crop of supersport bikes like in comparison?

These things are knocking out 200BHP, the Gixxer was 150BHP and plenty, and whilst I rarely used the top end, I love the low down shove of a thousand.

Anyone ridden the latest and greatest and have any comments. are they too much for the road, or are they (like the k5 gixxer) fine provided you take it easy with the throttle?

I could get a 600, but I hate the way you have to thrash them about everywhere. My alternative plan to a finance deal is to get something old like a 2004-6 R1 and service it myself.

Thoughts?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They still don't come with enough GGs for my style of riding. 😎

05 bike will seem vintage to a modern tool.

Almost all the shite with regards to feulling and handling has been ironed out. You don't need to be a racer to get the new gear performing. To the uninformed they'll make you look like a pro.
(To the uniformed you're pickings if caught.)
Think comparison of a cranking handle to a remote start.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's acedemic I personally think that 1000cc 200bhp bikes sold for the road and only used as road bikes would be much better to ride if they were say 180bhp and had another 100-150cc over 1litre while doing it.

Less power and more of it moved towards the lower left of the graph would make for a ballistic but easy to ride bike that's lazy smooth and very rapid!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's time for the OP to try a V-Twin.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:34 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: Advice on latest supersport bikes Reply with quote

chainsmoker wrote:
My alternative plan to a finance deal is to get something old like a 2004-6 R1 and service it myself.

Financing 3k, seems silly.

I would suggest trying to sit on a few, I don't fit nicely on the later R1s, but the 2001 I had was a sofa.

My GSXR1000 L0 is the comfiest bike I've had, period. Laughing

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My K5 thou had 155 at the wheel (and a flat AF torque curve due to custom mapping), having any more for the street would be mad. On the track, another 50 wouldn't have hurt Laughing

As mentioned, I'd rather have a buttload more torque lower down than everything focussed on the top end.

chainsmoker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:27 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for your comments.

As far as 1,000 twins go, I had a KTM990 Supermoto, it was a bonkers bike and moving to the K5 felt like a sensible move. Fuelling was on/off and I couldn’t stand the windblast. Ready to Race about summer it up. I’m sure fuelling on latest KTM’s is much better. I enjoyed my SV650 and had a spin on a mate’s Cagiva Raptor 1,000 which had a phenomenal Suzuki motor. It was far superior to the lump in the SV1000 which was nominally the same but clearly wasn’t. Still think I prefer a four at 1,000cc level for smoothness (inline, V, crossplane)

I actually test rode the S1000RR (14 plate) but it seemed way too brutal for me. As you say in road guise it needs more welly low down and less at the top. I’m 6ft and 77kg, and found GSXR, Fireblades, R1s to be comfortable. Maybe I should sit on a few modern machines and book a test ride if they feel comfy. I like the idea of a v-four but something like an aprilia is probably going to be a pain to maintain. Having said that my local dealer - Frasers in Gloucester service them so you never know.

I’ve always had a soft spot for the old bikes, but feel I should be using the latest tech on offer.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chainsmoker wrote:

but feel I should be using the latest tech on offer.

Why?
If you want it, or are curious to try it, go for it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chainsmoker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:07 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
chainsmoker wrote:

but feel I should be using the latest tech on offer.

Why?
If you want it, or are curious to try it, go for it.

I guess I’ve always wondered, when riding a 1,000, exactly how much I could open the throttle/apply the brakes without losing traction. I’d like to know. There’s so much exciting tech out there, and I’ve always been into leading edge tech, but typically buy my bikes second hand as don’t have free rein to spend whatever I like on bikes. That said, I now have a separate income stream which I can put directly towards bike stuff, so more options other than feeding and clothing my children. You know how it works; I want an R1-M but my wife wants a new kitchen.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:47 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chainsmoker wrote:
I guess I’ve always wondered, when riding a 1,000, exactly how much I could open the throttle/apply the brakes without losing traction. I’d like to know.

You sound like you need an instructed trackday. You'll learn fucktons about how far you can push a machine in general. The lessons apply to so many aspects of riding.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chainsmoker wrote:
Maybe I should sit on a few modern machines and book a test ride if they feel comfy. I like the idea of a v-four but something like an aprilia is probably going to be a pain to maintain. Having said that my local dealer - Frasers in Gloucester service them so you never know.

I’ve always had a soft spot for the old bikes, but feel I should be using the latest tech on offer.

You tried the VFR1200? One of the best engines ever put on a roadbike IMHO. Tons of torque and amazing sound...

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
You tried the VFR1200? One of the best engines ever put on a roadbike IMHO. Tons of torque and amazing sound...

And a metric fuckton of lard to haul around. Shes a heavy girl, knocking on 270KG. Not to mention the looks. Yeah, it's a beautiful sounding engine, I'm partial to a V4, I own a VFR750, but the 1200 is almost as ugly as a Hayabusa.

If you want V4, then RSV4 or Tuono V4. Neither will disappoint you, both are capable of smushing you into the scenery very quickly indeed. I don't trust myself to more than a quick play on a friends Tuono V4 - I'd get into a lot of trouble with one of those, it's an absolute hooligan tool.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

And a metric fuckton of lard to haul around. Shes a heavy girl, knocking on 270KG. Not to mention the looks. Yeah, it's a beautiful sounding engine, I'm partial to a V4, I own a VFR750, but the 1200 is almost as ugly as a Hayabusa.

If you want V4, then RSV4 or Tuono V4. Neither will disappoint you, both are capable of smushing you into the scenery very quickly indeed. I don't trust myself to more than a quick play on a friends Tuono V4 - I'd get into a lot of trouble with one of those, it's an absolute hooligan tool.

Was looking at those V4 Aprilias, but reports of valve problems were coming from more than one source. Doesn't help that the very first one I saw had an engine issue either.

I went old school big v-twin superbike in the end, instant torque is great fun for the roads but I'd probably get mullered on the top end by these latest 200bhp litre bikes.

However I'm very rarely using it on track so no big issue really.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:54 - 24 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Subscribed* I too am feeling left out by the electronics revolution. I want to try all these MODES. And cornering ABS. And semi-active suspension. I thought I'd ring MCE to get a quote for the 2019 S1000RR with the M Sport bits.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:38 - 25 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chainsmoker wrote:

I guess I’ve always wondered, when riding a 1,000, exactly how much I could open the throttle/apply the brakes without losing traction.

In a straight line with good traction - the maximum possible.
The front or back end will lift rather than lose traction.
Just as on the GSXR1000 you had, just a bit more.
The Tokico brakes never had amazing feel, but will lift the rear at triple figure speeds ib tgat.

Your traction is reduced by poor road conditions, poor rubber for the conditions (including being at wrong temperature) and lean angle.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 25 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: Advice on latest supersport bikes Reply with quote

chainsmoker wrote:
are they too much for the road?

No.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 25 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: Advice on latest supersport bikes Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
chainsmoker wrote:
are they too much for the road?

No.

Depends on the road. Some of them don't have a very good turning circle if you miss your turn, do they Alex Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1