Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Deauville

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

teach
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:18 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Honda Deauville Reply with quote

I'm looking at relocating to Surrey and if I get my new job I will be working at Gatwick airpot. I am looking at possibly getting a motorbike, a) to negotiate my way around the M25 and B) free parking at the airport. A bike to be used pretty much all year round.
I'm in my 40s and this will be my first bike and I am looking at something sensible hence the Honda deauville, with ABS and heated grips.
I currently don't even have my CBT, would any body say I'd be foollish going for a bike like this as my fist bike (after passing the relevant tests)
I like what I believe are the benefits of shaft drive, however am I just worrying about chain driven and should I consider other bikes. .
There appear to be a lot around for £2500 which are a bit body tired, but with minimal mileage. I suspect my next bike may be a Pan European, but I believe this will get me going. I just wondered if anyone had any other thoughts.
Added to this it will be at Gatwick airport in bike bays wiht no anchor points. Are there any bikes that are more prone to being stolen than others. I believe the Deauville will go unnoticed.
Cheers

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:30 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are very well regarded as solid commuters.

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:39 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: Honda Deauville Reply with quote

teach wrote:

Honda deauville...

all year round....

something sensible....

will go unnoticed.....

The Deauville ticks all those boxes. They are unexciting but
very practical. I did a lot of miles on a 700 blood bike.
Bulletproof reliability and it has survived the Irish climate
very well. Three cheers for Spanish build quality Thumbs Up

They are quite heavy (236kg dry) and the handling feels
a bit top-heavy, this may be down to the narrow 150 rear tyre.
The seat is gloriously comfortable on long trips.
The screen doesn't work well for me. It makes a lot
of wind turbulence and noise. Earplugs are essential.

Quote:
I'm in my 40s and this will be my first bike and I am looking at hence the , with ABS and heated grips.

The 700 has ABS and linked brakes. In my experience, this works
well, although it took me a while to adapt to having a powerful rear
brake. Ours had Oxford heated grips. I can't comment on these
because I never used them.

Quote:
I currently don't even have my CBT, would any body say I'd be foollish going for a bike like this as my fist bike (after passing the relevant tests)

I would say it was a safe and sensible choice. Insurance group
10 should make it cheap to insure.

Quote:
I like what I believe are the benefits of shaft drive

The Honda shaft drive seems very reliable.

Quote:
however am I just worrying about chain driven and should I consider other bikes. .

Your money, your choice. The Deauville was the standard Garda
(Police) bike here for years. When Honda stopped producing them,
there was no obvious choice to replace them. They eventually
bought a fleet of new BMW R1200RTs.

Deauvilles for the EU market are fitted with the Honda HISS
immobiliser. They are not particularly attractive to bike thieves.
They are slow, heavy and relatively hard to steal.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:59 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did do commuter parking at gatwick for a few years when the ex decided we were moving to the coast. About to start it up again when my house purchase gets done.

Watch out for the new "improved" surface when wet, it doesnt take much to loose the back end. Theres no anchors but disc lock will be fine, the place i always used to park is in the premium car section next to the train station entrance, as there is millions of motor there its well lit, regularly patrolled etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:06 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Deauville Reply with quote

Well if you do,my Dad has a really tidy low mileage one thats a bit too heavy for him ,comes with heated grips,extra wide pannier covers,pannier inner bags and bagalux tank cover
Its a 700 model,pretty sure the mileage is something really low too ,and we are in Surrey
Its not advertised for sale anywhere

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:09 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous bikes for what they are, no frills mid sized mile eaters.

A mate had one and we used to tour round Europe, him on the Deauville and me on a Goldwing. Neither missed a beat.

An excellent choice. Thumbs Up

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:51 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 650 one in my opinion was a better bike. We've got one we can use as an instructor bike and they are perfect for the job.

We call them Dullsvilles as they are as dull as dishwater but as said by pretty much everyone they are great bikes for what they are designed for.

It wont thrill you, not even a little bit but it'll happily sit in licence losing figures (eventually) and plod along for mile after mile. Around town they are surprising agile for the size of them and they even have a good lean angle which you'd not expect from such a big and chunky machine.

If you are only going to use it for commuting go for it, if you want something you can hammer around the country you'd soon get bored.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1