Programming - How to judge one's capability / level / salary

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 25 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean proper proper countryside. I grew up in North Yorkshire Very Happy

To be fair Oxford is alright. The little roads around Whitney are like a whole other country to me. Thatched roof cottages etc. No idea about Kent though.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:13 - 25 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for stabbings. Laughing It isn't bad.

Worth checking some jobs in London, some very good paying stuff for intermediate levels, it'd be silly to not consider Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:31 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been offered a job Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Software engineer for an interesting company right next to the Yorkshire Dales.

Salary offer was strange, but I think I got the best out of it. Since it was done via a recruitment agency, I was given two options:

1. Permanent contract with the employer at £25k
2. Contractor style work where I'm paid a £150 daily rate, which works out at £31k-£39k, depending on number of sick/holiday days taken.

The reason the employer would only offer 25k is because they would have to pay 25% up front to the recruiter, so I'd be costing them at least 31k no matter what.

Anyone on here have experience with these things? It seems option 2 is vastly better. I know I'm foregoing pension etc, but it still seems like the obvious choice. It was described as "12 months contract-to-permanent", meaning after 12 months if they want to keep me I can carry on with the same level of salary, but with permanent contract. They have two staff who've already gone this route so it doesn't seem like a bluff.

This has been a very interesting week either way. I put my CV up on cv-library and have since been utterly swamped by recruiters. I don't even mind if this new job doesn't work out, there's obviously tons of stuff out there. I've never had such leverage in the jobs market, what a boon!

As for the London option, I'm still considering that and did in fact have a recruiter contact me yesterday telling me he had roles up to 120k, which I still can't get my head around. But life is good and cheap up in Yorkshire so maybe that 31-39k is enough, and with none of the London rat race to contend with.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
I mean proper proper countryside. I grew up in North Yorkshire Very Happy

To be fair Oxford is alright. The little roads around Whitney are like a whole other country to me. Thatched roof cottages etc. No idea about Kent though.

Whitney, 1963 (me with a football).

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=102929

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:55 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Companies can just ditch the recruiter. Just say you weren't what they were looking for and employ direct.

Seems backwards, I'd be asking for a sizeable pay rise after a year anyway..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Companies can just ditch the recruiter. Just say you weren't what they were looking for and employ direct.

Seems backwards, I'd be asking for a sizeable pay rise after a year anyway..

I think the main reason they wanted me to start on 25 was so that when pay-rise comes along they can push it up to the high 20s and claims that's enough. It's a large organisation and I got the impression that their pay rises are based more on a standardised percentage rather than properly thinking about what people are worth.

The one thing I can't fathom is why there would even be an option for "25k or 31k+". Obvious choice is blindingly obvious.

The work looks genuinely interesting anyway, so I'm going to stick with it for now. 12 months of the current arrangement will certainly do no harm.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:50 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure you can really live on £25k these days... But watch out for the contract side, as you could get hammered by IR35 regs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IR35

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I'm not sure you can really live on £25k these days... But watch out for the contract side, as you could get hammered by IR35 regs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IR35

Thanks for the heads-up, however I can fairly confidently say I won't end up some kind IR35 victim! The employer has a few hundred staff and has projects with UK and EU government arms, so things are surely above board.

Either way, according to your given wikipedia link, it seems to not be very strongly monitored anyway! Laughing

Quote:
The IR35 Forum has achieved little since it was created and there appears to be little interest in the published monthly meeting minutes.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:24 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Quote:
The IR35 Forum has achieved little since it was created and there appears to be little interest in the published monthly meeting minutes.

Recently it has been enforced yes. The Wikipedia page may not have been updated for a while... I was more posting it for the explanation rather than it's current status.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:52 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

It is above board, it just means you'll need to register as IR35 and pay more tax.

It's got nothing to do with how many projects or staff your "employer" has and you calling them an "employer" puts you straight into IR35 territory, as you're only working for the one entity.
If you're contracted to one or mainly one "employer" you will get caught under IR35 if you go Limited.

This is what the recruiter told me specifically:

- I would be working via an umbrella company
- It would be as if I were a standard employee at the place of work (manager told me the same after offering me the job too)
- I fill in a simple time sheet each week
- PAYE and NI is deducted automatically
- Paid weekly, with no extra bureaucracy to deal with

Looking at this description, it seems things would remain legit if I just turn up to work as normal: https://www.sjdaccountancy.com/resources/umbrella-company/using-an-umbrella-company/

Quote:
An umbrella company is a separate company that acts as an employer for contractors working on fixed-term contracts.

The current arrangement is a 12 month fixed term contract, after which I leave the umbrella company and shift over to permanent contract.

It was explained that the only real benefit to this was the employer not having to pay recruitment fees up front, plus I would be able to get the higher salary I had hoped for. And I guess I could in theory work elsewhere or just quit if I so wished Thinking

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:43 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you'll be doing more work for low money, personally wouldn't bother but I don't know your situation. I'd be able to live on 16 hours a week min wage, but it's just lucky to be able to Laughing

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there are mild alarm bells ringing, but the work looks genuinely interesting so that's why I'm not wanting to jump ship immediately. It's an environmental software consultancy doing science/analysis stuff in loads of geographical areas. Flood analysis, weather warnings, tidal survey, earthworks mapping, etc, at the national level. Sounds like an interesting place.

I still have a whole line of recruiters jumping down my throat with possible opportunities, but the jobs are all fairly standard corporate stuff - the kind of work which will almost certainly still be available if I find myself wanting to change jobs 12 months down the line.

I've learned to live on peanuts for quite some time now. I always told myself anything over 25k would be 'enough', so the offer I'm looking at is already in the right ball park, in fact well above it!
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:40 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Lord Percy wrote:
- PAYE and NI is deducted automatically
- Paid weekly, with no extra bureaucracy to deal with

Eh? So you're just an employee of the umbrella company then. Where are you thinking you need to be limited? If you're paying all your tax and NI as an employee, what's the point of going through all the hassle of being limited?

If you're Limited, you're either genuinely self employed and not IR35 or employed and liable to IR35. I'm not sure how this recruiter thinks you can be both.

Confused I never said anything about myself being Limited. I highlighted your mention of that word because it seemed to be the opposite of what I'd been told. Specifically, working via an umbrella company means that I am not Limited. As you said, I'm just an employee of that company, so I think I'm right in thinking it would all be fine?

As you can surely tell, this is all very new to me. I'm beginning to think I should interview for some different jobs... One reason for me wanting to leave China is that I want to get away from all the bureaucratic and legal wrangling and just have an easy monthly salary! Laughing

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what Limited means. I was simply responding using the terminology you had used. I did read up on all the links, but was confused about how it applied to me - an understandable confusion, given that we've now ascertained that I am indeed not affected by it.

mpd72 wrote:

It sounds like you had no intention of forming a Limited company to work as a contractor, as most do, so would not be considered as falling under IR35. You're just a PAYE employee with a 12 month contract, rather than a proper "contractor".

Correct, it was always set to be via an umbrella company. It seems this whole IR35 thing has been a needless dose of fear factor Laughing.

Got an interview lined up for another job on Monday anyway... just in case. Advertised salary is better, mainly because it pays market rate without having to add all that contracting malarkey just to get it.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:34 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I used the wrong terminology. Like I said, it's all new to me. The recruiter used the word 'contract', so I used that word, but probably didn't apply it correctly.

Given what you've outlined, I think what I meant to say was:

1. Permanent full-time contract with the employer
2. Work under an umbrella company with the employer as a client for 12 months.

In both cases I think I would be correct in saying I am an employee, not a contractor.

It still seems a bit of a haphazard situation though.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked to recruiter again today and asked him about all this.

Specifically, I would be working as an employee of an umbrella company, who are contracted to send me to work for 12 months at the given location. I do my work and receive weekly pay slips, with tax and NI deducted as is standard for PAYE employees. The only additional 'bureaucracy' required of me is a weekly time sheet!

IR35 was discussed too - I do not come under it at all.

All is good.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:51 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

So really, you're just a PAYE employee with a 12 month contract, not a contractor. Seems an odd way to do it, but I should imagine it's for the benefit of the recruitment firm. Does anyone need to offer you holiday or sick pay under this scheme?

No, any days off are simply unpaid. However, this was taken into consideration when working out the daily rate I'd be paid, hence the "31-39k' rate I mentioned (i.e. assuming an 'extreme' of 30 days holiday and 10 days sick leave, it would be 31k).

I asked about who benefits most from this. From what I was told, it seems to be:

Myself:
Pro: Higher salary
Con: Will need manually handle sick/holiday/pension

Company:
Pro: They get the worker they want and don't have to pay up front fees
Con: Costs a little bit more, and if I leave they'll be back to square one with the recruiter

Recruiter:
Pro: They placed a candidate so they get their £££
Con: Their £££ is spread out over 12 months instead of a tidy lump sum

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The umbrella company is Churchill Knight, they seem to be mostly well reviewed: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.churchill-knight.co.uk

As for benefits, I just filled out their registration form. Part of it stated I could arrange to set aside some of my daily rate such that I can take days off and still be paid in full for it. I opted out of that. I'd rather just have a day off and know plainly that that's a day of no income.

After 12 months there's a pension scheme too, but at that point I'll have finished the agreement with the recruiter and can shift over to a permanent full time contract at a fair salary with the company I'm working for.

I suspect this umbrella company has various setups for the way their members/"employees" want to work. I'm quite happy to go with a simple daily rate where 1 day = £X. It's how I've been doing it in Chinachinachina for the past couple of years anyway.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3