Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Installing an electrical socket

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Stafford is neither posh nor affluent. People are on the breadline, wife and I both have good jobs, we are OK. Others do cash in hand work to supplement their income. Pete does that, cash in hand. I suspect he has no bank account if truth be told. He survives by doing jobs for people, Mr Singh wants cash as many including yourself mentioned he is doing a fiddle somewhere. Best of luck to them both, it's none of my business. They state cash, I went with both as it's the cheaper option.

Singhpal all good, registered the boiler, boiler working fine, the socket fitted by Polish Pete is still going strong, no tripped electrics, all good.

No wind-up, just me being cheap. If you think about it, all Polish Pete had to do is run the socket from the back of the other one, I supplied the material, his expense was £0, he was fed, had 2 mugs tea and left with £20 cash. We all won.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the transaction included a bacon sandwich!

*tears hair in frustration*

For that extra price, you could at least have got him to wire in a cattle prod, so you could zap the rats from Mrs Next Door's.

One Ball 1971
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the socket is to charge her sex toys!

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Ball 1971 wrote:
Maybe the socket is to charge her sex toys!

Maybe Polish Pete does that service?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least buy one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taiss-Advanced-Automatic-Electric-Polarity/dp/B07VFRQ733 if your going to rely on Polski Electric.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 28 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
At least buy one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taiss-Advanced-Automatic-Electric-Polarity/dp/B07VFRQ733 if your going to rely on Polski Electric.

Thanks for that. I got one today. All working well, no complaints.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:09 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Oh come on. He can't wire a socket yet you expect him to understand the nuances of a socket multi tester?

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is not complicated.

https://i.imgur.com/f2gkS0G.jpg

£8
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:34 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Quote:
This will not deteect Earth Neutral reverse.

Better hope Polish Pete got that right then. Seems a bit pointless a tester if it can't detect one of the five possibilities.

Aren't earth and neutral basically the same?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

In that joining either to the live will create sparks, pretty sparks. Whistle

The answer is sort of. It's all to do with star earthing on the 3 phase system and what happens when it changes to single phase in a domestic consumer environment.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Not exactly. In it's simplest form, N is earthed at the local substation, E is earthed locally. Because the substation may be some distance from the property, you can get a potential difference on the neutral - caused by resistance of the returning conductor and the current it carries. E is earthed locally and serves as the circuit protective conductor.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Not exactly. In it's simplest form, N is earthed at the local substation, E is earthed locally. Because the substation may be some distance from the property, you can get a potential difference on the neutral - caused by resistance of the returning conductor and the current it carries. E is earthed locally and serves as the circuit protective conductor.

Are you stoned ?
If a few UK members would like to pop to where there electrical cutout is they will find a PME connection,
Which to look at the CPC/Earth is literally taken off the neutral connection,
A TT earthing system has a earth at the consumers location and TNS bring a separate CPC direct from their transformer.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a lighting ring circuit, the neutral carries the current back to source I believe as well?

But its been a while, so i may be mis remembering.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
Islander wrote:

Are you stoned ?
If a few UK members would like to pop to where there electrical cutout is they will find a PME connection,
Which to look at the CPC/Earth is literally taken off the neutral connection,
A TT earthing system has a earth at the consumers location and TNS bring a separate CPC direct from their transformer.

Can you read? I've emboldened the relevant part.

I deliberately avoided TN-C-S, TT, TN-S, TN-C et al and gave a SIMPLE explanation of the main difference between neutral and earth.

Neutral is the star point of the substation transformer secondary taken to an earth mat at the substation and is used as the circuit return. Earth is local to the subscriber premises and is used as a termination point for the circuit protective conductor of the household wiring. Again, a SIMPLE explanation.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
In a lighting ring circuit, the neutral carries the current back to source I believe as well?

But its been a while, so i may be mis remembering.

Lighting circuits are usually radial rather than ring but yes, the neutral is used as the return. The same is true for ring finals feeding power outlets, cooker feeds, etc. The earth is only used as a circuit protective conductor to ensure a safe path for any fault currents that occur (e.g. through the metal bodywork of a cooker rather than the cook Laughing )
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2