Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Removing gash anodising...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 28 Oct 2019    Post subject: Removing gash anodising... Reply with quote

Hi all,

Was just removing some anodising from a part of the enduro machine and thought I'd do a little how to as it's mega easy.

I'm sure there are still plenty of badly anodised bits floating around from the 90's. I know they are "retro" but they look... Well shite...

Anyway.

First thing to do is give the part a good clean. I chucked mine in the ultrasonic cleaner and gave it a rinse off. Then I filed down the edges to get rid of some of the damage on the part. It's best to do this now otherwise you'll ruin the surface finish if you do any profiling work after the colour has been removed.

https://i.ibb.co/d2pstgM/20191028-163355.jpg

Next step is to give it a quick rub down with some wet and dry. I used 400 wet as it's what I had to hand. It might not be needed but it does help to remove the colouring quicker. Just a really quick going over is enough. Don't spent too long here.

https://i.ibb.co/vL9xKSv/20191028-164311.jpg

Next thing I did was heat up the part. Chuck it on some hot water. I used the ultrasonic cleaner again as the water was up to temperature.

Dry the part and then put it into a suitable container. In my case a Serrano ham packet was the ticket. I also got to eat the rest of the packet to make room so win win.

Get yourself some drain cleaner with the main ingredient being sodium hydroxide. The crystals will work but I used (and recommend) the gel which although isn't as potent it makes it easier to control.

https://i.ibb.co/ScMjNJv/20191028-165301.jpg

Safety warning:. Squint your eyes and wear marigolds

Cover the part, stand back and watch intently.

About 15mins in I moved the gel around the part, making sure it was all covered.

30mins and the part was done. Just flush it was cold water and jobs a goodun.

https://i.ibb.co/Q6Xpr6Q/20191028-174508.jpg

It will form its own new oxide layer as soon as it hits the air although you can use electoylsis to hard anodise the part. Most of the time though that's it.

Chuck it back on the bike and sleep easy again knowing all is good with the word.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Feathers McGraw This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 28 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feathers McGraw wrote:

You mean sodium hydroxide? Wink Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:44 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takes about 2 minutes in a bucket of relatively strong caustic soda solution (which is pure sodium hydroxide) without all the previous fannying about. Needs to be clean and grease free.

I do it with bicycle componants which for some reason are cheaper in black anodised than in silver.

Wear goggles. Add the caustic to the water not the other way round. Use a plastic or steel bucket. Be aware it can get hot, Don't get it on your skin.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually didn't realise it was so easy - always thought anodising gave a fairly resilient surface.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:18 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
I actually didn't realise it was so easy - always thought anodising gave a fairly resilient surface.

It does, unless you put a highly corrosive alkali on it. It just happens that it's one that doesn't react with steel.

There is an opposite. Steel dissolves in hot alum but aluminium doesn't.

Chemistry.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1