BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Project 20190912 Honda CD200 Benly 1980

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 23 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may suggest, assume nothing about that engine.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 25 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I'd strongly suggest you worry about that sort of shit after you've confirmed you have a working engine. People spend ages tarting up cosmetics only to find the motor is scrap.

Until you have all the rest of the bike working, the wheels are just something to park it on and make it easier to drag it in and out of the workshop.

Dont underestimate this advice, you have nothing to lose by taking the time now to check the engine is ok. I just spent the best part of a year restoring a bike focusing most of my time on cosmetics and the engine ended up being useless.

Comuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:41 - 25 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue I have is that I have removed a lot of wiring. I know I should get spark without battery but I probably removed some needed wiring and need to rewire now.

The reason I didnt start with engine is that a complete engine known working for this bike is quite cheap even the existing engine is useless.

I have done a compression test, I got 85psi rating from both sides, cold obviously and throttle open (but cant guarantee clear passage there as didnt dismantle the carb yet). I know this is low but should still be enough for engine to fire.

Next sparking plugs; Do I need to rewire and put a fresh battery to check the plugs?

I am studying the wiring diagram but I think without rewiring at least the earth points, nothing will work

Comuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:07 - 28 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

After studying the wire diagram, I think I now understand how a bike is wired.

I managed to get the lights and horn working, the ignition switch doesnt work so I by-passed that and ordered a new one.

I dont get a neutral gear light and ignition wiring is next to be checked. There may be a lot of components that may have broken here so will test them one by one.

Comuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:21 - 28 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a clicking sound from ignition coil when I connect the battery. Is this OK? How do you test this part? Would a simple resistance test suffice? I wont test this with the battery on for sure.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 28 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comuk wrote:
I get a clicking sound from ignition coil when I connect the battery. Is this OK?

Which battery? A new and appropriate one, or some other battery?

Comuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:00 - 28 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a brand new one that is needed for this bike. I cant risk of a poor battery causing issues while testing parts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:56 - 28 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never herd an ignition coil make a noise of any sort. It has no moving parts.

There is sometimes a "snap" as a set of points opens.

Sure the noise is coming from there and not a relay somewhere?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 28 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I've never herd an ignition coil make a noise of any sort. It has no moving parts.

Starter solenoid is probably the source.

Comuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:35 - 28 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Yes, thats probably it. Is it normal?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 28 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comuk wrote:
I get a clicking sound from ignition coil when I connect the battery.

Are you sure it's from the coil? When you put power across the primary and then disconnect it (you can do that by just brushing the connection with a wire to the battery), you should be able to see a spark at the sparking-plug you've connected to the secondary.

Connect the coil's secondary (high tension) to a sparking-plug HT, and the plug's body to the coil's earth.
Connect the coil's earth and battery -ve.
Connect a wire from your battery's +ve, then brush the wire against the coil's primary's input.

You should see a spark at the plug. If you're not careful, you will feel it too. You will be able to hear whether the coil makes a clicking noise, and whether it produces a spark. The spark itself may make a clicking noise.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 28 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comuk wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Yes, thats probably it. Is it normal?

Yes.

Comuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:48 - 02 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it has been a while. I tried to get electrics working but decided to strip the bike and start overhauling the parts bit by bit. It was just taking too much time to prove engine is working and there are so many clogged parts, I dont think it would have proved anything. All I know is there is some comp and it is turning.

What remains on the bike frame are the chain, engine, brakes, forks, wheels. bike didnt have many miles but looking at the state of carb, I think it is best to disassemble the engine, clean, put new gaskets and reassemble. I bought a parts washer and some jizer.

Frame looks good, it is dirty than rusty and definitely no holes etc. Would you strip the paint and primer/repaint?

Even though I use JiS screwdrivers etc some nuts are stripped, is it possible to find the same spec nuts?

Wheels are horrible so I really cant decide if I should make an effort to salvage it or just get better/new wheels. I still need them in place to wheel the bike to garden to work on it though. Parked as a later stage issue to be sorted.

https://i.ibb.co/h933DGN/59-A70072-956-A-4-E62-AD4-B-231131733-AC3.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/n607BZn/3796-C785-5419-4342-9-A20-2990-FB7-E3-BD5.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/SN1X8bL/EA357961-1-A8-F-4228-A8-C1-12-A63017-D182.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/N677R3W/AA585920-2-A92-4260-B946-6-FE7523-A584-C.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 02 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good clean and a carb rebuild kit should start you off.

The engine casings... do you a have a friend or local workshop that could soda blast them? Buffing them up by hand would take a while!

Regarding the wheels I suggest breaking out the sandpaper and see if it's just surface rust. As long as the rims aren't completely eaten through then they'd just need painting. The hub in the photo looks fine which is the vital bit - rims and spokes are relatively generic things and replaceable.

dekip
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:55 - 02 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

The engine casings... do you a have a friend or local workshop that could soda blast them? Buffing them up by hand would take a while!

I learn it the hard way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Comuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:50 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have some time over the coming holiday period to work on the bike. I will clean the carb and will dismantle the engine. I have the top end gaskets ready and parts washer with jizer but nothing else. Do you recommend doing a full top end rebuild with new piston and barrel? The compression was not that great but it was measured cold and with a gunky carb. No one recommends bottom end dismantling but do you think it is worth checking it while engine is out? I dont have the gaskets for them though so either need to source it quickly or need to cut it from a 0.5mm paper I have.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth checking the barrel and piston out before dropping money on new stuff Smile Any scoring or gouges? Maybe missing a piston ring? The barrel liner can be redone and pistons and rings easily replaced. Carb condition doesn't affect the compression BTW!

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comuk wrote:
I will have some time over the coming holiday period to work on the bike. I will clean the carb and will dismantle the engine. I have the top end gaskets ready and parts washer with jizer but nothing else. Do you recommend doing a full top end rebuild with new piston and barrel? The compression was not that great but it was measured cold and with a gunky carb. No one recommends bottom end dismantling but do you think it is worth checking it while engine is out? I dont have the gaskets for them though so either need to source it quickly or need to cut it from a 0.5mm paper I have.

If I were you I'd be sluicing all fastenings with diesel asap and repeating regularly, galvanic action can play havoc with steel bolts that have been left to sit in an alloy

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take the engine apart until you have had it running. Just dump some fresh oil in it and spark it up. Why make work for yourself?

Comuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:44 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advice Thumbs Up

I wont try to start the engine, all cables etc stripped now and I think I will need a new ignition coil and points.

It makes sense to open the top end now and order stuff for after xmas in case I need them. I will post the pics.

Comuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:15 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the ignition coil, primary shows resistance 1.6ohms and secondary 11.6k ohms. The manual says 0.5-0.6ohms and 7-9k ohms, respectively. I think this is still ok though? Does anyone have a real reading from a working coil?
Comuk wrote:
All good advice Thumbs Up

I wont try to start the engine, all cables etc stripped now and I think I will need a new ignition coil and points.

It makes sense to open the top end now and order stuff for after xmas in case I need them. I will post the pics.

Comuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:59 - 29 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Xmas everyone!

Engine needs to wait until I order some parts. In the meantime, I dismantled the forks. Quite rusty where it is clamped but other areas are ok. I did wet sanding with wd40, the picture with 2 forks show the results, left one after 2 rounds, one with p220 and then p400. The right one only after one round with p220.
I cant feel any bumps from rust anymore. Do you think they are usable and shall I continue until all dark areas are gone? I think I need p800 sanding for 2 hours to make it better.

By the way, I cannot remove the collars, is there a way to loosen it?

Cheers

https://i.ibb.co/Bf8YgNb/6-C23-D720-0-DD2-4-D77-B780-FBFACB6-B7116.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/vx9KVM2/AF3311-C7-0-AC2-4-CFC-B7-BE-C966-F8-A4506-C.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/VTLB8wJ/2-E458445-0443-4209-B3-FA-0-C19-E851-A09-E.jpg

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 29 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are fucked, new stanchions or get them re-chromed.
If by collars you mean the lower shrouds then you need to look under the lowest part, insert a large allen key in the recess until you find the right size, place upper in a guarded vice then whack allen key with a hammer and hope that it undoes. If it doesn't then you'll need to employ all the tricks in the book to get that screw out!!!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 30 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are fucked but focus on the area of travel i.e. what metal is potentially hitting the fork oil seal. The top bits are just used in the steering clamp and they don't really matter.

The bolt at the bottom of the fork... I've seen so many people struggle with this: a case of if there's a hard way why do it the easy way Wink

If you pop the top cap off and take out the spring then nothing's pressing on the damping rod. Go to undo the hex head bolt and the whole thing - damping rod and bolt - just spins inside the fork. Leave the spring in and have at it. It may still spin but you stand a better chance.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 30 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Yes, they are fucked but focus on the area of travel i.e. what metal is potentially hitting the fork oil seal. The top bits are just used in the steering clamp and they don't really matter.

The bolt at the bottom of the fork... I've seen so many people struggle with this: a case of if there's a hard way why do it the easy way Wink

If you pop the top cap off and take out the spring then nothing's pressing on the damping rod. Go to undo the hex head bolt and the whole thing - damping rod and bolt - just spins inside the fork. Leave the spring in and have at it. It may still spin but you stand a better chance.

I always found it harder once the spring pressure was released, not sure how many you've done but older shit was definitely worse to get apart. I've probably got more than fifty stripdowns under my belt on machines from the 70's through to the mid 90's. Mercifully few have needed the bolt drilling out.

True, the area of travel is the only important bit and if you look closely at the pictures you can easily tell where the yokes sit and how much has corroded between the lower yoke and the oil seals at rest
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 118 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3