Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gloves

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

frankboase
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:48 - 25 Oct 2019    Post subject: Gloves Reply with quote

Hello Everybody,
I'm new to riding. Very Happy
I bought a pair of biking gloves, but there a bit small.
Last time I was out my fingers nearly froze.
I'll get a larger pair, but my question is, should I wear gloves under the biker gloves.
Thanks for your time.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:37 - 25 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: Gloves Reply with quote

frankboase wrote:
Hello Everybody,
I'm new to riding. Very Happy
I bought a pair of biking gloves, but there a bit small.
Last time I was out my fingers nearly froze.
I'll get a larger pair, but my question is, should I wear gloves under the biker gloves.
Thanks for your time.

I don’t get on with gloves under gloves myself. I’ve got a pair of Halversonns gloves for most of my riding. They’re ok for three seasons or so on a 165 mile motorway commute.
Has you considered heated grips? I rode a bike with them once and it was totally different - almost a Peter Kay Garlic bread type revelation.
What type of riding do you do and on what kind of bike?
Towns, motorways, faired, unfaired?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

frankboase
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:49 - 25 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Guess I'd have to say just casual rider. Short trips. Nothing special.
But I do feel the cold.
I ride an ASL DD125 (a Chinese bike)

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 25 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer gloves will be far too cold now, you can get more seriously padded and waterproof gloves will make things tolerable.
(e.g. https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/shop/gloves/winter.htm )
There would be a slight reduction in control feel but you get accustomed.
You might consider heated grips or even muffs.

The real enemy is getting them wet, you could get into serious difficulty if committed to a longer run.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 25 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up Tucano Urbano handlebar muffs. They give excellent wind protection which is half the battle. Dead easy to fit and not expensive.

If they don't help enough then you'll need to look into heated grips, ideally in addition to the muffs. Oxford Heated grips are really good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 25 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spada Enforcers, had them for about 3 years now. Awesome, but chunky. Very good protection though. £70ish
or
RST Outlast Titanium II. Only had a couple of weeks, they're a lot lighter, but I wouldn't want to bin it at any sort of speed in them. £90ish.

I still have "silks" (Undergloves) to wear if it gets really parky out, but anything over 5c is too hot for Enforcers, you will sweat, they will smell until you chuck them in the deep freeze for a couple of days.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 25 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I still have "silks" (Undergloves) to wear if it gets really parky out,

Thumbs Up
Jasmine silk glove liners Originally bought when my gloves started to irritate the back of my hands but I reckon they do help to keep the heat in a little.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 26 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Spada Enforcers, had them for about 3 years now.

they have gone right up in price

I had a pair for years but only paid about 30 quid for mine

also lobster claw gloves were brilliant but some cant get on with them

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 26 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Spada Enforcers, had them for about 3 years now.
they have gone right up in price

They work, so people charge accordingly.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Originally bought when my gloves started to irritate the back of my hands but I reckon they do help to keep the heat in a little.

I normally use them when I am trying to put wet hands into gloves. Makes it a fuckton easier.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 28 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway you slice or dice it nothing prevents the heat in your handypops escaping to the atmosphere.
Wind and wet add to this effect.

The main trick is to keep the heat in, prevent it from escaping by a layer/s of insulation.
That presents it own issues of more insulation means more glove.
The insulation material counts for something as more expensive units will be made with more effective materials. (In theory)

Heated grips are the real deal. They allow a lighter glove to perform quite effectively but there is a lot of this science relate to personal pain threshold.

Another cool trick is to keep the blood from your core warm. It carries heat to your hands. If you do not insulate your arms (especially near the wrists) then the blood will not have much heat energy to warm your hands.
This is physics. Ye canny change the laws.

Heat is energy.
Energy moves from high energy toward low energy. Not the other way.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 28 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think my arms are overly fat or muscley but a lot of bike jackets now barely allow more than one layer on your arms when they fit OK elsewhere.
Now its going well below 10C upper arms seem to really chill down after a while.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 28 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I don't think my arms are overly fat or muscley but a lot of bike jackets now barely allow more than one layer on your arms when they fit OK elsewhere.
Now its going well below 10C upper arms seem to really chill down after a while.

Merino base layers. Ups and Doons.

Traps a layer of warm air (poetry) and doesn't add much bulk. A woolen pullover on top should be enough.
High energy snacks and stops for tea/coffee (Or hot chocolate if there's a ghey in the crew.)

Sitting still restricts heat from muscle activity too.
Grip release grip release the bars to help pump blood in and out your hands. The muscle work heat the blood too.

Only hard hard men and girls can survive winter riding without bleating about cold hands.

There's a condition some folk suffer from called Reynauds where the arterial flow is restricted severely making things worsererer.

I get Tourettes when my hands are too cold. 😡

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 02 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear Halversons for three seasons

Heated Furigan gloves for winter. Internal batteries, just about last a 150mile ride on lowest setting. Cost stupid money though, but it was cheaper than fitting heated grips to all my bikes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1