Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:17 - 02 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
doggone wrote:
They already tightened things up a lot, for example they somehow log the time taken to do it.
One place locally used to have two bathroom scales with a plank between to work out the braking force part.

They log you into the computer system when you arrive and they start the test, then when they have completed it. This may result in a customer sat round waiting while the tester runs the clock down if they were quite ‘speedy’ with the test...

Took my Chinese 50 to one of them 'no pass no pay' affairs a few years ago. I knew it was alright and just needed the paperwork. Handed the key to reception, took off my jacket then fished out my Kindle for a read. had the key back before I'd finished the first page. I'm not sure theres a minimum time limit for a test, but if there was I expect his would have been under it.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 02 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a limit as such. They measure the average time taken for a test. If a tester is on the lower end, they're far more likely to get visited or mystery shopped.

Last year the bike in front failed almost immediately (front brake), and the tester was bitching about it, saying all tests would take a bit longer the rest of the day. No problem for me, I was ogling the Ducati's lined up at the back of the garage, and making myself sad I can't properly fit on a 916 for more than a few minutes without requiring spinal surgery afterwards.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 02 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
I've been in *very* similar situations several times

https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder

nice one

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:43 - 02 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Last year the bike in front failed almost immediately (front brake), and the tester was bitching about it, saying all tests would take a bit longer the rest of the day.

That makes absolutely zero sense. Surely they continue the test to make sure there isn't more than one issue? Or do you have to re-test for each item that failed?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 02 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

suburban myth wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Last year the bike in front failed almost immediately (front brake), and the tester was bitching about it, saying all tests would take a bit longer the rest of the day.

That makes absolutely zero sense. Surely they continue the test to make sure there isn't more than one issue? Or do you have to re-test for each item that failed?

I assume they can stop the test there and then if they deem it dangerous enough. Caliper only had one bolt in it, and that was loose - How the fuck you don't notice that is beyond me, but it takes all sorts.

Pretty sure someone on here is a class 1/2 tester, he would be the man to ask for clarification, but that's what happened. We only really talked about the timing aspect before I wheeled mine in and went to gawp at shiny Italian bikes.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:15 - 02 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
[
I assume they can stop the test there and then if they deem it dangerous enough. Caliper only had one bolt in it, and that was loose - How the fuck you don't notice that is beyond me, but it takes all sorts.

I had to slowly ride Gs pitbike back to the 'pits' at the last bbq because the brake calliper fell off.

At least it wasn't the handlebars.....

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 02 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

It makes me wonder what would happen if I had the tax on DD and just let the MOT lapse.

They still take the money. I know this because they did it to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 02 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Pretty sure someone on here is a class 1/2 tester, he would be the man to ask for clarification, but that's what happened. We only really talked about the timing aspect before I wheeled mine in and went to gawp at shiny Italian bikes.

That would be me, don't think I'm the only one though.

You have to have the reg number and the last six characters of the VIN to log the test on, so it's meant to be best practice to give the bike a quick walk round as you take notes, before logging on.

If you find something dangerous, you can refuse to test (I did this with an Electra Glide that was presented with an oil leak and I told the guy if it leaked onto the back wheel and it started going over on the roller test, I wasn't going to stop it hitting the deck) which obviously has no effect on your average test time, because you never actually start it.

On the other hand, if you find something dangerous during the test, you can abandon, but that means you stop the test early

You can do the test sequences in any order you like, so if I was testing, I do the front end inspections first and if I found a dangerously defective brake, I would have a choice of continuing and abandoning before I do the last thing, which in my case is the brake rollers; if your man did the brake test at the beginning, he would stop there, because you don't normally break your routine.

As I think you said earlier, there isn't a target time, but you're nominally given 25 minutes to do a bike test, so that's the baseline number they use to determine if you're above or below average.

Stopping a test after 5 minutes would drag your daily average down, so you would have to extend a few later tests to bring it back up again.

Not sure I would be bothered though, over a week/month/year it's not going to make much difference, unless he was already on an amber light and thought he was being watched.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:49 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was indeed you - Cheers for clearing it up.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my last MOT place behaved in a slightly strange way. The garage is different to what I normally use.
I first spoke to them about a week before I wanted the MOT done and the staff seemed overly friendly. Actually it was a bit sickly - it did have me wondering if they'd recently had their collars felt by DVLA (or whoever monitors them).
On the test day they took twice as long as they should have and I was second bike tested that day. At the end the tester actually asked me about some stuff with the bike. It's a dual sport and can have 'grey' areas with testing.
I actually think that test site was being ultra careful and not wanting to lose their testing licence.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was something such as a loose calliper would you not continue the test (knowing it had failed anyhow) so the rider then gets a full list what’s wrong, excuding anything you thought was dangerous, obviously?
In theory otherwise you could end up doing a test umpteen times if you started the first, stopped it immediately, that goes away and gets fixed, returns, fails on something else, sent away, and so on? Wouldn’t one list after the first test be beneficial- for both parties?

I’d like to think that nobody had such a wreck on the roads, but, well, you know...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
If there was something such as a loose calliper would you not continue the test (knowing it had failed anyhow) so the rider then gets a full list what’s wrong, excuding anything you thought was dangerous, obviously?
In theory otherwise you could end up doing a test umpteen times if you started the first, stopped it immediately, that goes away and gets fixed, returns, fails on something else, sent away, and so on? Wouldn’t one list after the first test be beneficial- for both parties?

I’d like to think that nobody had such a wreck on the roads, but, well, you know...

Yes, they do all the tests (or should do) as I had the old "turd scooter" fail on many unrelated things (I knew it would) which gave me a nice list of things to work on.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:

Depends on what the outcome of continuing is likely to be.

In Dippy's example of a loose caliper and assuming I'm right and the tester was going on the rollers very early on, there is a risk of damaging the machine, the equipment and the tester if, say, the caliper fell off and jammed in the wheel - in that case, the tester is well within his rights to abandon the test, on the basis that continuing has a potential risk.

In my example with the Harley, not only was there a risk of all those things, but I was also going to leave a trail of oil all over the workshop floor, so I elected not to allow the bike in the test area.

To be fair, there aren't many things that would cause you to abandon a test, as long as the bike is stationary. Most things I can think of would involve something going wrong when the wheels are being rotated on the rollers.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
In Dippy's example of a loose caliper and assuming I'm right and the tester was going on the rollers very early on,

As you said, pretty much first up. He seems to work front to back. I presume a similar fault on a rear caliper would be picked up after everything else.

When he failed my Viffer he told me immediately it would fail, and why, but it was at the rear, and a fair way through the test.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for bikes or cars being tested in a fair and critical way when it comes to safety items, safety of the vehicle and its integrity, and all electrical equipment working as it should do. Even exhaust noise checks for reasonable noise levels, and if your bike is a newish emissions tested machine then sure it should still comply as would a car.

But there's lots of things I and others have on our bikes that should be MOT failure points, but I don't think they should be if not done to silly extremes. I'm talking about non OEM parts and aftermarket parts like smaller numberplate holders, bits marked not for road use if they are sound and secure, and in one of my bikes cases a powder coated frame where the numbers are no longer visible.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:13 - 04 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
If there was something such as a loose calliper would you not continue the test (knowing it had failed anyhow) so the rider then gets a full list what’s wrong, excuding anything you thought was dangerous, obviously? .

Yes that's how it's supposed to work, if a caliper was loose, that wouldn't prevent the steering head bearing being checked etc.

It used to be that you couldn't complete a test without doing a brake test so it had to be abandoned, you could still do as much as possible before stopping but as you couldn't do a retest, had to do another full test, it wasn't always the most practical way to move forward.

However now there's a failure for not being able to do a brake test so there would really be no need to abandon a test in the example given, Complete the test, fail for caliper loose and fail for Unable to test brake performance. Then retest when it's fixed on just those items.

stevo as b4 wrote:

But there's lots of things I and others have on our bikes that should be MOT failure points, but I don't think they should be if not done to silly extremes. I'm talking about non OEM parts and aftermarket parts like smaller numberplate holders, bits marked not for road use if they are sound and secure, and in one of my bikes cases a powder coated frame where the numbers are no longer visible.

Neither bolded item is an mot failure, the frame number doesn't have to visiblwe if the VIN is also somewhere else, smaller number plate? maybe, but the holder just has to hold the plate secure, nothing else. Greed on the not for road use though, if an exhaust is to noisy it fails, insecure, fail so why fail just for a stamping? tyres are different though.

Last edited by Monkeywrencher on 18:28 - 04 Nov 2019; edited 2 times in total

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 04 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
However now there's a failure for not being able to do a brake test so there would really be no need to abandon a test in the example given, Complete the test, fail for caliper loose and fail for Unable to test brake performance. Then retest when it's fixed on just those items.

As said above. They guy is pretty relaxed, if he stopped the test, then he saw good reason for it. I can't tell you more than that, it's not me testing it, and we only really talked about the timing aspect of the test, but that's what happened.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 04 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

AldridgePrior wrote:
Apparently it's at the testers discretion despite the fact the local `fuck all to do` filth get all uppity about it.

Passed my Viffer with a lightly baffled Delkevic, my rat with a cheapo aftermarket can, my current work hack and it's stupidly loud (fake?) SC Project can, and my old 125 Derbi with a decidedly unbaffled can that I bunged on because it was the cheapest shit I could find.

It's a safety test, not a noise test. He's also a petrolhead himself, there's always a few of his bikes and cars in various states of repair kicking around his shop, which I think helps. Would he pass someone he doesn't know that has a sodding loud can? I don't know.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

AldridgePrior wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

It's a safety test, not a noise test.

I get that but it always makes me wonder why some testers put `noisy exhaust` on as an advisory. Knowing the tester helps though, no two ways about it.

It's an arse covering exercise.

I can't remember the exact wording, but aftermarket exhausts are meant to be along the lines of "sounding similar to a factory system" - clearly there are some systems that do, but a lot more that don't.

Bike testers tend to be into bikes and I don't know many people that are into bikes, but are against a fruity sounding exhaust, so it follows that a lot of testers are going to turn a deaf ear to a loud pipe.

As it stands, we don't have to use a decibel meter to measure exhaust noise, so we cover our arses by advising it, there's no prescribed way of determining if we're right or wrong.

My own excuse is that I'm genuinely a bit mutton, but that doesn't stop me enjoying the sound of a big Duke on a set of Termis Wink

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike has a Scorpion exhaust as standard which is stamped as being for road use. It's had major bowel surgery though - I was shitting it for the MOT.
It passed and I gingerly asked about the exhaust passing - he said it was fine and stamped (obviously looked!) but then he said 'but those fucking Harleys and their stupid shit' haha!

With MOTs I'm surprised so many of these flat tracker project shitbags pass.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:54 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

It's an arse covering exercise

As it stands, we don't have to use a decibel meter to measure exhaust noise, so we cover our arses by advising it, there's no prescribed way of determining if we're right or wrong.

That's it in a nutshell, if you take a bike in with a noisy pipe and the tester passes it but makes no mention, then a VOSA VE rocks up and asks to retest the Bike (has happened to me with cars several times over the years) if he decides the bike should have failed, which is the prescribed method of determining if your wrong, you'll get 20 points aginst you in the assessment, if you advise it it'll be 5 points maybe 10 if it's really really noisy, or even none if it's only slightly (in his opinion) too noisy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 172 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2