Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best europe country to visit

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:13 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Best europe country to visit Reply with quote

was not sure to put in the ask auntie bcf section or here, so I put it in here as this is the touring section instead

Looking to go on a tour next year on my bike. Was asking the bcf community who have already done the runaround in europe already which countries they found the best to visit, and as to why?

Does not matter if you visited it on a bike/car/train/plane/flying unicorn etc I guess there are places in europe that are off the beaten track that left a little something in your heart Very Happy

People always say things like go to france italy etc, but I guess there is more to europe than france/italy? Mr. Green

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start by thinking about what it is you want from a tour.
What is it you want from a tour?

Great biking roads.
Great scenery.
Culture/history/architecture.
Food/beer/wine.
Sunshine.
Other?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

France is hard to beat for your first trip, apart from being very close there's so much variety even without going to the deep south.
Also it's very well set up for camping and overnight hotels.
Without crossing into other countries you can do some mind-blowing Alpine passes too.
Avoid the main cities and people are generally friendly and roads not crowded except peak weekends + August.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Great biking roads.
Great scenery.
Food/beer/wine.
Sunshine.

yes.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of great biking roads, there are undoubtedly loads all over Europe and I've ridden my fair share of them, but personally I don't think you can ever do better than the North of Spain. Ferry to Santander/Bilbao and head south - jaw-dropping.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Great biking roads.
Great scenery.
Food/beer/wine.
Sunshine.

yes.

Well, there's lots of it all in Europe. HTH Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:01 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Scotland.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Quote:

Scotland.

No culture Laughing

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotland or Ireland
Scotland I thin slightly better roads
Ireland wins on hospitality and the west coast is breathtaking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:16 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

No culture Laughing

There's a strong drinking culture.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from Scotland, there is also the Kingdom of Dumnonia, granted not strictly a country in it's own right, although, not for want of trying

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:11 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living and riding in Scotland all my life, it's taken a while to realise just how good the North and West is for riding a bike. Brilliant roads and breath taking landscapes. On the down side, accommodation is generally much more expensive than it deserves to be and with the advent of the marketing exercise that is the NC 500 some of our best routes can be clogged with mobile homes at times. But pick your dates early or late in the year and you may well have some spectacular riding on empty roads.

If mainland Europe is an option. then for my money the Spanish Pyrenees are hard to beat. It may not have the grand splendour of the alps but you are rewarded by never ending superb roads, very little traffic and the mountains are by no means any less impressive than the Alps. It is generally much cheaper than the Alps.

All depends what you want?

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:11 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops double post

Last edited by Enduro Numpty on 20:49 - 10 Nov 2019; edited 1 time in total

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any alpine Germanic spoken region .. Quiet roads fabulous scenery excellent food & accommodation..

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:33 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The area around the Nurburgring. Amazing roads, not too far (do-able in a day from much of the Uk), friendly people, and you can ride the Ring (ahem!) or watch others trying to crash there if you wish.
Yes the quick roads to get there are a bit tedious and dull but you could split the journey and take smaller roads anyhow...

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The southern half of Germany away from the big cities is nice.

Autobahns so you can have some fun
Great scenery
Great food
Nice towns

Only problem with Germany is it's full of Germans.

Then head down through Austria and Slovenia which are both fantastic places to visit.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a great fan of Germany. I prefer Italy. It just seems more characterful, the place and the people. Bit of a long ride to see much of it though.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Pyrenees. Epic roads. Drop down on the Spanish side to the Plains and over to Barcelona or the French side to Lourdes and gawp at the pilgrims.

You aren't too far from the Millau bridge either.

What i like about the continent is the dirt cheap over night hotels. Formula 1 or Premiere Classe mean it's not much more to stay under a roof than to camp.

When I went touring the Pyrenees on my busa I took money, credit card and about 1 change of clothes. Obviously no wifie with kitchen sink. (she flew out and met me in Barcelona for a week.)Laughing

Obligatory picture of Busa in the highest pass of the mountains with all my luggage on board.

https://i.postimg.cc/Xq39T9F6/Photo0018.jpg

wintelf94
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norway, Spain, and Italy some great places to look at. Thumbs Up

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:47 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Obligatory picture of Busa in the highest pass of the mountains with all my luggage on board.

wow, I look at that picture and I think........... Drooling

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:57 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bilbao to Roses using the N240 and N260.

Google Maps route.

The N240 starts when you come off the A-21 at Yesa.

Have fun. Mr. Green

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Another vote for the Pyrenees. Epic roads. Drop down on the Spanish side to the Plains and over to Barcelona or the French side to Lourdes and gawp at the pilgrims.

You aren't too far from the Millau bridge either.

What i like about the continent is the dirt cheap over night hotels. Formula 1 or Premiere Classe mean it's not much more to stay under a roof than to camp.

When I went touring the Pyrenees on my busa I took money, credit card and about 1 change of clothes. Obviously no wifie with kitchen sink. (she flew out and met me in Barcelona for a week.)Laughing

https://i.postimg.cc/Xq39T9F6/Photo0018.jpg

Thought the spanish side was shite tbf, roads were crap compared to the French side and the environment was alot more arid.

https://i.imgur.com/Zyi7xcl.jpg

France has plenty to see, i'd like to go the alps sometime aswell but half the time it's shut
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Another vote for the Pyrenees.

Thought the spanish side was shite tbf, roads were crap compared to the French side and the environment was alot more arid.

https://i.imgur.com/Zyi7xcl.jpg

France has plenty to see, i'd like to go the alps sometime aswell but half the time it's shut

If you did this bit and stopped for photos...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/42.3780509,1.8991494/42.2044109,2.1792752/@42.3098645,2.0065839,12z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d2.0336243!2d42.3365056!3s0x12a56efcdd3d21ef:0xb9b714c738d85030!1m0!3e0

...you were doing it wrong Very Happy

I prefer the Alps for scenery, but there was some spectacular scenery on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees too, especially if you turned off the main routes here and there (see my trip report Mr. Green ). Southern half of the Route Napoleon was a cracking bit of road, through the canyon there (can't remember the name of it) and on down to Cannes.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

If you did this bit and stopped for photos...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/42.3780509,1.8991494/42.2044109,2.1792752/@42.3098645,2.0065839,12z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d2.0336243!2d42.3365056!3s0x12a56efcdd3d21ef:0xb9b714c738d85030!1m0!3e0

...you were doing it wrong Very Happy

I prefer the Alps for scenery, but there was some spectacular scenery on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees too, especially if you turned off the main routes here and there (see my trip report Mr. Green ). Southern half of the Route Napoleon was a cracking bit of road, through the canyon there (can't remember the name of it) and on down to Cannes.

might have even done that bit after we stopped in Andorra, everything's a blur doing 2500 miles in 7 days
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 116 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2