Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Member/Bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

73trident
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:55 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: New Member/Bike Reply with quote

Hi All

I'm very new to this forum and I thought I would post my experience of the RE Interceptor 650 so far.
In March this year a friend asked me to test ride the RE for him as he was unable to do so at the time. I normally ride A VFR750 but was impressed enough with the overall performance to place an order when I got back to the dealers.
Very soon during the running in period I found the rear suspension units to be so bad that I ordered replacements from Tec Bikes. These are tailored to your weight, have multi adjustable damping and there is an option to have them slightly shorter than original so lowering the seat height. Very soon after I ordered Tec Bikes silencers which are half the weight of the originals and don't have the cats.
The first service completed and the engine is running better and better especially after I modified the airbox inlet. (DNA filter now fitted)
My friend did buy an Intercepter but, like me, finds the seat only good for 50-60 mile runs before it gets too uncomfortable.
On Ebay an Indian seller has seats that look a bit "king & queen" so I ordered one. It took about 4 weeks to arrive and looked very good quality until I tried fitting it. It goes on but the fit is VERY sloppy due to the base being completely wrong. Be warned, don't buy !
I have ordered a touring seat for the GT Continental from an English supplier which should be with me tomorrow. Hopefully will be better than the original.
Overall I think the RE Interceptor is a very good bike for the money but needs tailoring to suit personal requirements. Even so, it is still a lot cheaper than a Triumph and just as good.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Triumph?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: New Member/Bike Reply with quote

73trident wrote:
...Even so, it is still a lot cheaper than a Triumph and just as good.

As I've just spat my tea out you owe me a new keyboard, sir!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:15 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: New Member/Bike Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
73trident wrote:
...Even so, it is still a lot cheaper than a Triumph and just as good.

As I've just spat my tea out you owe me a new keyboard, sir!

Having owned an America from new (Bonneville, but just more cruiser like), and owned an Interceptor since March, I find the Interceptor so much better than the Triumph, in every aspect. And, to top it off, with no more a strict cleaning regime as I had with the America, there's no sign of corrosion on the Interceptor, withing 6 months there was plenty of corrosion on the triumph

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one of those pointless apples vs oranges things - the Interceptor's a perfectly good bike.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Just one of those pointless apples vs oranges things - the Interceptor's a perfectly good bike.

It is a perfectly good bike, and a comparison listing the problems during the first 6 months ownership ..

Triumph America..
1. ECU remap required
(Still didn't fix engine randomly cutting out,
was not fixed in the 4 years I stuck with it)
2. Laquer on forks etc, crazing, metal whitening/furring,
Braided pipes rusting, exhaust mounts rusting.
3. Rear tyre valve fubed, causing a flat (Tyre was fine)

After that initial 6 months, the America continued to go downhill. Before I bought the America, I'd intended at some point to buy a Rocket, but, after my experience, I'll never buy another Triumph. The dealership were rubbish, granted, they lost the Triumph franchise a few years after I'd bought my America, but, even so, as they say, once bitten and all that ..

The Interceptor

No problems at all

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you were unlucky!

I don't think you can compare a RE to a Triumph. One is budget, and one is more premium. It's only "just as good" if you don't mind cheaper components and materials.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:06 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NakedBiker wrote:

I don't think you can compare a RE to a Triumph. One is budget, and one is more premium. It's only "just as good" if you don't mind cheaper components and materials.

So have you seen/sat-on/ridden an Interceptor?

It's not even in the same ballpark as the old Chennai Bullets.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NakedBiker wrote:

No, don't think I was, plenty of other instances of iffy build quality on Triumphs, granted not all, but quality does seem to be a bit inconsistent.

And, yes I can compare, having owned, both from new, and the RE wins hands down on quality and ridability, for one thing, doesn't randomly cut out on me. Also, as yet, no sign of any corrosion on the RE, again, the same couldn't have been said for the Triumph.

So, if by premium you mean, poor build quality, poor failing components, then, I'm glad I have a budget RE now, as that doesn't suffer with any of that.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that's the thing: there's so many "components" to bike ownership over the actual bike:

Design, quality of components, assembly standards, dealer support...

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I suppose that's the thing: there's so many "components" to bike ownership over the actual bike:

Design, quality of components, assembly standards, dealer support...

You're right, the Wolverhampton Triumph dealership closed down, and, then the nearest dealership was over 30 miles away once that happened, and even now, the neatest is still at least 15 miles away. There are 2 Royal Enfield dealerships at, or even less than that distance from me..

Again, reliability, RE, wins hands down
Quality of components, RE wins hands down
Quality of dealership (when the Triumph dealership was open), the nearest RE dealership, again, wins hands down.

All this is based on actual ownership of the bikes.

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: New Member/Bike Reply with quote

73trident wrote:

Very soon during the running in period I found the rear suspension units to be so bad that I ordered replacements from Tec Bikes.

Enough said...

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: New Member/Bike Reply with quote

NakedBiker wrote:
73trident wrote:

Very soon during the running in period I found the rear suspension units to be so bad that I ordered replacements from Tec Bikes.

Enough said...

Well, I can't say that that is my experience, as I have already said, in my experience of ownership of both, the RE wins hand downs against the Triumph.

So, are you speaking from your own experience, that allows to to make your own judgement, if so, how do you find riding the RE, or, even the Triumph for that matter, which have you owned and as such been able to make a like for like comparison. Oh, and I don't mean just taken for a test ride, that really doesn't count !!

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
After that initial 6 months, the America continued to go downhill. Before I bought the America, I'd intended at some point to buy a Rocket, but, after my experience, I'll never buy another Triumph.

You do realise that you're a stuck record?

You've been moaning about that particular Triumph for over four years.

And you've been dogmatically, evangelically, vehemently promoting the build and ride quality of every random, derivative, unoriginal, uninspiring, un-heard-of, and unsupported, cheap Chinese manufactured bike you've managed to lay your hands on.

First of all, you choose a particularly naff Triumph. I've owned a couple of Street Triple models which were impeccably built, completely reliable, and offered astonishing performance-per-pound. Near perfect motorcycles.

As for the rest of the range, I know plenty of Triumph owners, who've had years of experience owning many Triumph models. Almost none of them have had anything bad to say about their bikes.

The current models are built to a standard that matches top end Japanese stiff, with finishing up there with Ducati. And they're British - probably the biggest British motor industry success story of the last 25 years. Who could have imagined that they would be the exclusive engine supplier for Moto2?! It's absolutely fantastic - We mustn't be blindly patriotic about it, but it's not happened by accident, and it should be celebrated.

Regardless, I'm sure you'll keep moaning about your rusty Triumph America at every opportunity, and promoting meh bikes made by here-today, gone-tomorrow Chinese brands. Whatever makes you happy Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:58 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
promoting meh bikes made by here-today, gone-tomorrow Chinese brands. Whatever makes you happy Smile

So where do you think Enfield twins were designed and manufactured?

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:40 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Alex A wrote:
promoting meh bikes made by here-today, gone-tomorrow Chinese brands. Whatever makes you happy Smile

So where do you think Enfield twins were designed and manufactured?

England - India.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
After that initial 6 months, the America continued to go downhill. Before I bought the America, I'd intended at some point to buy a Rocket, but, after my experience, I'll never buy another Triumph.

You do realise that you're a stuck record?

You've been moaning about that particular Triumph for over four years.

Do I, well, that shows consistency, there are only 2 bikes I've ever actually been glad to get shot of, the Triumph, and the Divvy 600 I had

Alex A wrote:

And you've been dogmatically, evangelically, vehemently promoting the build and ride quality of every random, derivative, unoriginal, uninspiring, un-heard-of, and unsupported, cheap Chinese manufactured bike you've managed to lay your hands on.

If you say so, still those other Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Indian manufactured bikes have had far better build quality, and been more reliable than my Triumph was

Alex A wrote:

First of all, you choose a particularly naff Triumph. I've owned a couple of Street Triple models which were impeccably built, completely reliable, and offered astonishing performance-per-pound. Near perfect motorcycles.

... but i thought there was no such thing as a naff Triumph, which is to be?

As for the rest of the range, I know plenty of Triumph owners, who've had years of experience owning many Triumph models. Almost none of them have had anything bad to say about their bikes.

The current models are built to a standard that matches top end Japanese stiff, with finishing up there with Ducati. And they're British - probably the biggest British motor industry success story of the last 25 years. Who could have imagined that they would be the exclusive engine supplier for Moto2?! It's absolutely fantastic - We mustn't be blindly patriotic about it, but it's not happened by accident, and it should be celebrated.
[/quote]

Indeed, yes, and should be built in Thailand or Brazil, where labour is cheap and quality high, yes Brazil based manufacturing worked out well for Honda??

Alex A wrote:

Regardless, I'm sure you'll keep moaning about your rusty Triumph America at every opportunity, and promoting meh bikes made by here-today, gone-tomorrow Chinese brands. Whatever makes you happy Smile

mmm, ok, well, it appears your geography and knowledge of manufacturers leaves a bit to be desired, but, hey ho. Oh, and of course, Triumph are pretty much only linked to the original Triumph in name only.

Also, if you care to look properly, the new Royal Enfields are designed and tested in Bruntingthorpe, the frames are designed by Harris Performance, granted now owned by the same owners as Royal Enfield. The Royal Enfield 650's are as equally British as a Thai built Thruxton

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:06 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Triumph are pretty much only linked to the original Triumph in name only.

Triuph was founded by a German, to sell Coventry build bicycles in central Europe...... given what the Jerries did to the place I guess they didn't like them much.... Laughing Sigfried Betterman, was the founder's name. I can't remember which street his fist warehouse was on, it probably got coventrated to oblivion, in the 40's, anyway. Jack Sangster then bought the company, just before it was hit by a jerry bomb, and the company became one of the Brit-Bike 'giants' ultimately incorporated into the BSA group, with Sangster taking a share and Edward Turner a seat on the board.

The bikes of this middle era were 'mostly' built about a dozen miles from me in Meriden, the geographic centre of mainland Britain

A Chap called John Bloor, acquired the Meriden works, in the 1980's. It had been leased to the worker's co-op, of the '70's to continue building the aged twins, and Bloor, a builder, bought it as Land to develop. Its a ruddy great housing estate now.

He was however convinced to have a crack at making motorbikes, and shown the 'Modular Concept, that had been pioneered under Turner, when he went off to build British Superdreams, in Brum; The BSA 'Fury' and the Triumph 'Bandit'... oh.. that cant be right, the Bandit was a Suziki, some 30 years later Shocked Anyway, Bloor looked the modular concept, sceptically, and hired Ricardo engineering to give a 2nd opinion... so they copied the Kawasaki ZX10, and lopped a pot off the end! And the 'Hinkley' Triumph works was founded to build them, with later designs strategically subbed out to eastern countries, where a lot of bits were sourced anyway.

SO... when you start criticising other folks 'Geography'... take care.... the company has had at least three distinct phases, with four distinct phases of ownership, one of them 100% German; had at least three distinct sites of manufacture, in the UK, but always sub-contracted in large chunks of the bikes they built, and the relation ship between sites and models is at best teniouse, over a century of 'existence' as a market entity, with little relationship between the different era's.

B-U-T..... this is 'Show and Tell'.... There's a lot of tell, what about the show?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1