BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Weighing a bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:28 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of which shows why I shouldn't stray beyond the realms of straight arithmetic in my maths.

Should've seen the pages of working when I was calculating the compression ration on my bullet!

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

No, because it misses the middle bit.

Could be true if weight distribution isn't 50:50.

This must be a wind up - surely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:50 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about moments,but I failed my a level before most of you were born and i really cant be arsed to look up the math.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I failed my a level before most of you were born

Is that some kind of qualification in its own right? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I failed my a level before most of you were born

I think they call that an A*** these days?

Anyway, the approach I gave was slightly simplified as it assumes the centre of mass is on a line between the wheel axles. In reality it won't be, so you'd have to make an extra compensation for the offset, but for the purposes of this thought experiment it is close enough.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
This must be a wind up - surely!

Laughing

https://pics.me.me/iam-serious-and-dont-call-me-shirley-31366962.png

Well, I was trying to run with chickenstrip's joke whilst also alluding to a possible problem with Sister Sledge's suggestion, "bathroom scales? Under one wheel then the other and add together."
I failed on both counts! However I'm pleased the topic of weight distribution subsequently came up.

I now have two sets of scales and my prediction is that my ZX6R will be heavier than my R1 but they'll both be around 180kg. If so I'm not interested in their heavier modern equivalents. Results tomorrow.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

Results!

Kawasaki ZX6R G2 (1999) with about 3/4 of a tank = 207kg. (456 lbs or 33 stone.)
50:50 weight distribution.

Yamaha YZF-R1 5PW (2003) with about 1/4 of a tank = 202kg and 50:50.

Both a bit higher than I was expecting based on manufacturer's claims back in the day, although I was already suspicious. Moving the bikes around it's obvious that the Yamaha carries its weight lower.

Techniques;

Arrow Two bathroom scales, one under each wheel, switching them round front to back for comparison. (There was good agreement.)
Arrow Bathroom scales under one wheel, other wheel raised with wood to level it. Record weight, then switch around and weigh the other end to get the total.

All weighings agreed within 2kg between techniques, and the easiest was not surprisingly with one set of scales and a broad wooden plank.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's why it mattered;

most manufacturer-listed dry weights in the past were with all "consumables" taken out, which means no fluids whatsoever, no battery, tires, brake pads...obviously an unreasonable and unrealistic measure.

(Wish I'd found those true weight listings earlier!)

Why new bikes aren’t as heavy as you think

I've just remembered the Kawasaki has a big chain and lock under the seat.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 kg difference ties in nicely with the 'missed' triangle of mass when weighing using one set of scales. An interesting exercise that.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
The 2 kg difference ties in nicely with the 'missed' triangle of mass when weighing using one set of scales. An interesting exercise that.

What “missed triangle”?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:

What “missed triangle”?

To quote doggone:
'If you had two bathroom scales at the same time it would be accurate, with only one you'd have to make both ends level when on the scale or a triangle in the middle would be missed'

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote Kawasaki Jimbo:

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Arrow Bathroom scales under one wheel, other wheel raised with wood to level it

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:40 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumph Track bike I had weighed in at 175kg with a little fuel I think some years ago on a set of track scales.
Think I then got that down to 165kg with a few bits removed/couple of lighter bits - big changes were no lower fairings, lighter battery, lighter rear wheel from later bike.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Thanks everyone.

Results!

Kawasaki ZX6R G2 (1999) with about 3/4 of a tank = 207kg. (456 lbs or 33 stone.)
50:50 weight distribution.

Yamaha YZF-R1 5PW (2003) with about 1/4 of a tank = 202kg and 50:50.

Both a bit higher than I was expecting based on manufacturer's claims back in the day, although I was already suspicious. Moving the bikes around it's obvious that the Yamaha carries its weight lower.

Techniques;

Arrow Two bathroom scales, one under each wheel, switching them round front to back for comparison. (There was good agreement.)
Arrow Bathroom scales under one wheel, other wheel raised with wood to level it. Record weight, then switch around and weigh the other end to get the total.

All weighings agreed within 2kg between techniques, and the easiest was not surprisingly with one set of scales and a broad wooden plank.

An mot tester checked the weight of my BMW R1200GS front wheel then rear. (No packing under the wheel not on the scales) He commented that the front and rear are near as dam the same weight.

Did you compare with packing and without to prove disapprove the calculus bee?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Did you compare with packing and without to prove disapprove the calculus bee?

No, but my scales were only an inch tall. I doubt there would have been much difference. Damn, wish I'd tested that though. I still might! My report did invite some ribbing on Facebook from non-bikers, so they'd appreciate an update.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2