Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Downloading games.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Downloading games. Reply with quote

I want to download some old games I played back in the past.

I've found them on GOG and Steam and I have no doubt there are other places I can go.

Is one better than another? Are there difficulties etc. etc.

I'm presuming when they say it's windows 10 compatible it is and tested, whereas the CD obviously only says XP or whatever was available at the time.

An example, Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri is one I want.

Thanks in advance. Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Downloading games. Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Steam and I have no doubt there are other places I can go.

Is one better than another? Are there difficulties etc. etc.

I'm presuming when they say it's windows 10 compatible it is and tested, whereas the CD obviously only says XP or whatever was available at the time.

An example, Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri is one I want.

Thanks in advance. Thumbs Up

yeah, Windows is the obstacle. Take Beyond the Sword Civ 4 for example. Ran very well on Windows 7, then Microsoft released an update that screwed up a bunch of games, shrugged their shoulders and didn't care.

There are work arounds, but a little fiddlesome.

So, there is that to bare in mind when installing the games, once you find them.

Might be worth a trawl through these forums, probably been covered before, I lurk on an off, but haven't had an account there for over 10 years.

https://www.civfanatics.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:25 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOG is DRM free. Steam isn't. GOG I think tests all it's games on W10, Steam most certainly doesn't.

The issue is actually with DRM and is in a huge proportion of games produced from the early 2000s to just a few years ago. There are two flavours, but I forget what they are called. Both work in a similar way though, and are effectively rootkits, attaching themselves to the very low level dark secret areas of the Windows OS. Microsoft even included this DRM in some of it's own games. Then, when they released W10, they finally closed the rootkit exploit which then consigned a bunch of games to the bargain bin of life.

However, these rootkit DRM's are designed to check the CD or DVD is present... so in many cases if you buy a version with no CD from an online platform such as GOG or Steam, it'll work just fine. However, I've had a bunch of steam games which don't work, and I've read reviews on steam of games which don't work, so make sure you read reviews first.

Personally I've had much better luck with GOG, and I've frustratingly re-bought a few games that I already own on CD or DVD, which is annoying but they only cost a few quid, so I was able to get over my anger at that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for GOG. They tend to bundle stuff up with no DRM and run them under pre-configured DOSbox if necessary; basically the whole thing is usually painless.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers chaps. GOG it is then Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:29 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd download it from the piratebay.

https://piratebaylive.com/search/Sid%20Alpha%20Centauri/0/99/0

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:09 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.myabandonware.com

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:40 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
www.myabandonware.com

Redirects you to GOG!

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see any reason not to just use torrent sites for old games. The developers are usually either shut down or bought out by someone else anyway so they dont see any benefit. It's also quite common that you will want to download a certain version because it's better (original, steam or GoG) and it just makes it a lot less hassle.

It's also really worth googling each game before you go downloading something. Often theres some community patch or something that can make things better

I occasionally buy some games on GoG when they have flash sales. I own Civ Alpha Centauri and it works fine on Win10.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:56 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
I dont see any reason not to just use torrent sites for old games. The developers are usually either shut down or bought out by someone else anyway so they dont see any benefit. It's also quite common that you will want to download a certain version because it's better (original, steam or GoG) and it just makes it a lot less hassle.

It's also really worth googling each game before you go downloading something. Often theres some community patch or something that can make things better

I occasionally buy some games on GoG when they have flash sales. I own Civ Alpha Centauri and it works fine on Win10.

Except games on torrent sites often have viruses, and still have the same issues not running on new Windows OS's as they've always had. The cracks they have usually just skip the check for the CD, not the installation of the DRM.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm embarrassed to say I've never understood torrents. Embarassed

TBH I'd rather pay a few quid for something that works straight away. Not something I have to mess around with or get my son over to get working for me Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I'm embarrassed to say I've never understood torrents. Embarassed

TBH I'd rather pay a few quid for something that works straight away. Not something I have to mess around with or get my son over to get working for me Laughing

me too "Get a bit torrent client" etc

you wot m8? Neutral

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:24 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up downloading Alpha Centauri from GOG. £4 something. Easy peasy lemon squeezy as my grand daughter says. Painless to set up, works fine. I'm happy. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 159 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1