Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Overnight to Kinloch Hourn

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Overnight to Kinloch Hourn Reply with quote

Fancied a wee night away on the bike so took the CRF250L for a run up to Kinloch Hourn and Loch Quoich. Having only had the CRF since September I've hadn't taken it away before so thought this would be s good test. The bike was excellent and ideal for the this sort of trip, but I'll need to sort out a better luggage setup for next year, probably the Kreiga OS stuff.

The route took me up through Callander, Tyndrum, Glencoe, invergarry and to Kinloch Hourn where I set up camp for the night a little way up one of the hills. It was decidedly chilly but after few drams to warm up I was comfortable enough. It did snow enough in the night to cover the tarp but it mostly melted by morning as forecast.

Heading back to Invergarry I decided to extend my return and so headed north through Fort Augustus and up the west side of Loch Ness, and then east towards Granton on Spey. Despite hitting a little snow on the way there the webcams at the Lecht looked ok so I made my way over the A939 from Tomintoul and into Braemar. It was foggy at the top with lots of snow around but the road was clear. After a warm up and some grub I continued non through Glenshee which, predictably, was pretty snowy. Again the road conditions weren't too bad but I suspect the car drivers I was flying past probably thought I was a bit of a twat.

From there I made my way back towards Perth and onto the motorway home, which was the only point I felt really fucking cold.

All in a great wee run, bike was perfect for it and the scenery around Kinloch Hourn was truly spectacular. Photos attached.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

More photos

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

More

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

More

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressed Pepperami is impressed Thumbs Up
You Sir are a top Sausage.
Doing this later in the year when it’s not so warm.

Quality pictures Thumbs Up

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise you could get them in black now, do enjoy riding my 2013 one this time of year relatively locally it's not a lot of fun on main roads, don't like holding it above 60mph for long and that seat soon gets hard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:25 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I could have done the camp without a fire.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Pepperami. Lots of layers kept me (mostly) toasty and everything looks amazing at this time of year.

Black was new for 2019. I find mine sits quite happily at 65-70 and the roads are pretty bendy where I ride so I've never really found it s problem. Also, surprisingly the seat wasn't an issue for me either. Maybe because I'm not that heavy and I stopped a lot for photos.

I don't generally have a fire in wilder places as I don't like to leave fire scars but I often take a firebox along for the purpose. Sadly no space for it this time.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Cheers Pepperami. Lots of layers kept me (mostly) toasty and everything looks amazing at this time of year.

Black was new for 2019. I find mine sits quite happily at 65-70 and the roads are pretty bendy where I ride so I've never really found it s problem. Also, surprisingly the seat wasn't an issue for me either. Maybe because I'm not that heavy and I stopped a lot for photos.

I don't generally have a fire in wilder places as I don't like to leave fire scars but I often take a firebox along for the purpose. Sadly no space for it this time.

Firebox? I know it sounds obvious, but could you explain/ put up a picture please.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

Just remembered mine is down geared by sprockets about 10% so sounds right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics but I mean Brrr.. really Brrrr!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51L%2BfVE9NTL.jpg

They come in different sizes. Smaller than a campfire and doesn't give off quite the same warmth but good for morale and doesn't cause damage if you use a heatproof may below it.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:46 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh! I sort of thought that was what you meant Thumbs Up

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:26 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strong work, I am jealous!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:59 - 29 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Thumbs Up Clapping Was up Nevis in the summer and first time in Jockland but its so absolutely beautiful. Sight colder when you did it but less tourists, and I vowed to return.
I've been reading the forums for hours but signed in just to comment on your post, so envious, but I doff my hat to you sir :respect: (couldn't see a smilie for that so made one up)
I'm gonna do that soon as I get my bike on the road... D'you reckon road tyres would be ok for such a trip? Some of that terrain looked like I might need a little extra?
I've got two weeks at Easter booked off work, so I'll be planning... long way from Dover on a VT125... but hey Dance!

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 29 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
Wow Thumbs Up Clapping Was up Nevis in the summer and first time in Jockland but its so absolutely beautiful. Sight colder when you did it but less tourists, and I vowed to return.
I've been reading the forums for hours but signed in just to comment on your post, so envious, but I doff my hat to you sir :respect: (couldn't see a smilie for that so made one up)
I'm gonna do that soon as I get my bike on the road... D'you reckon road tyres would be ok for such a trip? Some of that terrain looked like I might need a little extra?
I've got two weeks at Easter booked off work, so I'll be planning... long way from Dover on a VT125... but hey Dance!

Road tyres would be absolutely fine for most of it, the only off road bits I did really were for photos or camping. I'd probably not want to take a sports bike on some of the trickier single track nearer Kinloch Hourn but it's perfectly doable, I just prefer something more upright and flexible on such roads. Nothing I wouldn't do on my crossrunner and anything like an mt09 or similar would manage fine. Any 125 will be a easy, the light weight being a big benefit on the tighter sections. It's a stunning place and most of the good bits elsewhere are perfectly accessible with normal road bikes. No reason not to do it on a 125, I've done several long trips on a CG125 and found it's just a case of settling into the pace and accepting. A different type of enjoyment, I find I explore more, photo more and absorb more on little bikes.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great hats off to you!

I done what you have done but without the camping the winter weather lol

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:

Of course you can do it on a 125,
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Vz6IgDFmc.

YouTube has lots of videos of people doing the touring thing on a 125 Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1