Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bankers Draft

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

fw750x
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:30 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Bankers Draft Reply with quote

Hello Everyone i am Buying a Secondhand Motorcycle on Saturday and Was Going to get a Bankers Draft to Pay for it Rather than Carrying Cash , I dont Have Mobile Banking . Does the Person you are Paying Need their Name on the Bankers Draft ? I have Never got one of these before so im not Sure what way it works. Any info would be great Cheers Francis

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a bank account the old way was to get the bank to issue a cheque for you. It was guaranteed as it came straight out of your bank account. Basically the same as cash,

Now whether that is just another name for a bankers draught I don't know but you had to have the person to be paid on it, just like a normal cheque.

However it was many many years ago and I don't know what they do now as now modern people just use a card. Wink

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't expect to ride away till its cleared.

To many fake/fraudulent ones.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Bankers Draft Reply with quote

fw750x wrote:
Hello Everyone i am Buying a Secondhand Motorcycle on Saturday and Was Going to get a Bankers Draft to Pay for it Rather than Carrying Cash , I dont Have Mobile Banking . Does the Person you are Paying Need their Name on the Bankers Draft ? I have Never got one of these before so im not Sure what way it works. Any info would be great Cheers Francis

I wouldn't accept one if you offered it to me.

Find a local branch near the seller and call them to organise collecting the cash. View the bike, if you like it then both go to the branch and make a withdrawal, or a bank transfer at the counter.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:09 - 15 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not accepting your bankers draft as there are stolen bankers drafts around which will bounce after they've cleared.

You don't need to be signed up for mobile banking, you can use your normal online banking details to make payment by bank transfer which will be from the same name as is on your driving license.

If for some strange reason you can't do a bank transfer then I'll accept cash and I'll pay it into the bank before you ride away on the bike.

Bankers draft? You might as well try offering me a cheque. Laughing Laughing

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 15 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the amount and if you know the seller. I’ve just bought a crappy old car (£500). I’ll turn up and give cash and doubtless the seller will take it there and then and give me thev5 as I know him well enough.
If I was buying a more expensive vehicle I’d be expecting to do a bank transfer or cheque (but that results in a wait of course). If you gave me a bankers draft I’d happily take it but you would still be waiting for me to clear it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you haggle with a bankers draft

get cash out of bank take that

this is one of those situations where cash in king

you get there and notice something with a draft its all written ready
with cash you can say because of this would you take (add lower amount here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:49 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cash was king 10 years ago.

Now it's an unnecessary inconvenience where you have to go to the bank it in.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Cash was king 10 years ago.

Now it's an unnecessary inconvenience where you have to go to the bank it in.

not when you use it to buy another vehicle

all vehicles I sold I used the money to fund the next one so cash was useful

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banks seem to get a bit chompy these days if you try paying in large amounts of cash....

fw750x
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:19 - 18 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Again Just to Clarify I Travelled over to Scotland With the Money in Northern Bank Notes Sterling ( A lot of Shops Garages etc ) Wont Accept them, We Went to the Guys Bank and Because he is a Regular Customer and Known to the Bank Staff they Took the Money and put it into his Account. Got the Bike and went Back to the Ferry 22 Hours there and Back , Delighted with the Bike .
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1