Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Get more than 55mph

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sinnis Sucker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:58 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Get more than 55mph Reply with quote

So everyone i previously posted a query about the electrical problems on my bike, its all sorted now and havent had to have it back at the garage just yet (touch wood).

Anyways i was wondering if theres anything i can do to my apache smr to make it faster as its only going 55mph on a flat road......
Is there any restrictors on the bike like on other bikes...... If anyone could suggest a few things becuase going through the estate its fast but as soon as i hit them a roads i look a clown going 50 mph an hour most times......

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:05 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt it. Four strokes are often not restricted. Even bikes which make the maximum allowable power under the learner law can go faster than 55mph, which points toward the bike not being restricted. My GF's first bike was a Derbi, and that had a maximum speed of 55mph too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:05 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed limit on most A-roads IS 50mph... whats your problem?

But, no, it's not 'artificially restricted' like an old two-stroke; it's just 'naturally' slow. Live with it; enjoy the fuel-economy; OR get a different bike.

You 'could' tune it, but its a 125, and in the greater scheme, they are ALL 'slow'. The 'fastest' of the fast 2T spurts 125's only ever achieved a gnats over 100mph... about as slow as a 40 year old Honda 250 single... so what do you expect/hope for, really? The best you might hope for is around the 12bhp/60mph mark, the factories achieved 40odd year back, without any modicum of reliability, so you aren't even starting with... so no realistic hopes there either I'm afraid.... so back to getting another bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:47 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it's the same speed as my crappy yamaha ybr 125. So to get it over 55 mph you will have to find a really straight piece of road with no traffic on it, and give it a full throttle burst for about.......5 mins....

eventually if you are luck it might hit 70 like mine did, but the noice it will make will be biblical, and it will probably be very unstable at high speeds.

One thing I notice that will affect the thing is wind resistance, if you are sitting up straight your torso will be creating alot of drag, so if so
push your body forward and kinda go into a forward crouching position

Like this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlqdg2MfNm1_G-82pHsfN3FhkJXuxzEAWhmkbcsKV7raMhtZPpQw&s

your drag will go down alot, and you will find the bike goes a tad faster. Not much, but an extra 10 mph makes big deal when you are in a hurry

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big are you? I'm a fat git and my YBRs would sit at 55 happily, with the Custom a few mph slower than the standard which topped out at 68 on the GPS.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

130KG (presumably dry) and what, 10BHP max? 65 is the max indicated for that bike, even if you redline it in every gear. 4T GS/GN/GZ based motors are really sensitive to back pressure, so if someone has "Tuned" by putting some big old exhaust on it, put a stock on on it, you may regain the 10MPH you're missing. Same goes for the airbox. By all accounts the 15BHP motor from the Hyosung Cruise 2 is a fairly easy conversion to drop in, being a single based on similar GS/GN/GZ cases. Never tried it myself, YMMV.
WreckTangle wrote:
yeah, it's the same speed as my crappy yamaha ybr 125.

Even with a dodgy (soon to be fucked) motor, my YBR125 sat at an indicated 60 without issue. You have issues if you struggle to get that while slagging the tits off it. Bear in mind it's ~15KG lighter than OP's bike.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Speed limit on most A-roads IS 50mph... whats your problem?

Your "facts" are usually the problem. A roads can be up to 70mph, most round here vary from 20 to 60 with dual carriageways generally being 70mph.

As usual you are spouting shit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:40 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
How big are you? I'm a fat git and my YBRs would sit at 55 happily, with the Custom a few mph slower than the standard which topped out at 68 on the GPS.

yeah, sorry, I meant it was the same engine size as his, not it was the same problem with speed.

2 things I can suggest: going back to original problem,

Maybe look at the internal components of the bike itself to see if there is anything wrong, for example:

Disassemble the air box and remove the filter. The filter is one of the cheapest components of a 125cc motorcycle but one of the most important. Fuel ignites with the help of air, so the more clean air that flows into the engine the more combustion you'll get (so the faster it will go) Air filters come in different colors, such as yellow, red or white. This helps riders know when they are dirty. If your 125cc motorcycle air filter is dirty, spray it with cleaner or replace with an oiled aftermarket filter. Also, clean any gunk out of the air box with contact cleaner, making sure no grime or dirt falls in.

Or 2)

don't bother buying new bike/upgrading bike what ever, just get your full license done (if you have not got it already) sell your apache smr and get a big fat bike that will make your mother cry Twisted Evil

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:42 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WreckTangle wrote:
Disassemble the air box and remove the filter. The filter is one of the cheapest components of a 125cc motorcycle but one of the most important. Fuel ignites with the help of air, so the more clean air that flows into the engine the more combustion you'll get (so the faster it will go) Air filters come in different colors, such as yellow, red or white. This helps riders know when they are dirty. If your 125cc motorcycle air filter is dirty, spray it with cleaner or replace with an oiled aftermarket filter. Also, clean any gunk out of the air box with contact cleaner, making sure no grime or dirt falls in.

Clogged air-filters, and a good service are the most common 'loss' of oomph, for sure, B-U-T generic chinky 125's are built for the Chineese market, where they have a licence/taxation law that favours motorcycles sold as only capable of a max speed of 55mph.... co-incidence?

To meet the 55mph 'restriction', on better built 125's, they often down-gear them a tooth so that at max revs they wont turn the wheel faster, b-u-t the most common means of ensuring compliance is just aged designs and crap build!

I expect that UK importers, that buy up these things by the boat-load for pence, will not do much to cut into their profit margins, either tackling ex-works build faults, let alone alleviating any other means used to prevent the things exceeding 55mph.

It IS however also co-incident, that many new riders, especially those who have been weened on cars, especially in the last twenty years, to 'Short-Shift' quickly through the gearbox, and try doing almost all their riding in 'top', over-drive gear... for various notions, of not liking the sound of it revving its head off, through ideas that higher revs mean more fuel and or more wear, and peculiarly amongst millenials PC indoctrinated from kindergarten... more 'pollution'... most of which is rather perverse reasoning, and you HAVE to thrash one of these little engines to get the best from it.... B-U-T... I doubt that that will make much difference... it be slow bike... like I say, live with it, and enjoy the economy, or get something else!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
To meet the 55mph 'restriction',

What the actual fuck are you on about? There is no such thing as a 55mph restriction, on either good or bad 125's. The cheap, generic 2v single pot ones just happen to run out of puff there.

You're a fucking liability sometimes, we know you're full of shit and winging it, but some of us have been round bikes for a few decades (in some cases, a lot more). Noobies don't know, and take it as read. If you don't know, STFU or ask, no-one will flip a lid, not everyone knows everything. But making shit up to look like you do is guaranteed to piss people off.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:15 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a revs thing.

I have picked up an older Herald classic 125 (Chinese based of course), has the 18inch rear wheel and easy to get over 60 but need to rev it.

Can thrash it to over 50 in 3rd and then mid 60s in 4th, 5th however is just for maintaining mid 60s with less revs on a good road. Try changing up to 5th at 50mph and it bogs down and barely accelerates at all, same if you change up to 4th too early.

An extra 10mph makes a BIG difference on some journeys where the typical speed limit is 60mph (NOT 50). Getting there a bit quicker helps too.

So on that bike 5th is just for cutting the revs a little once you get up to top speed on a flat road. I suppose in theory 5th would take 75mph or more but there is not enough power to overcome resistance, over 70 is possible down a steep hill.

EDIT: dodgy wiring/cheap bulbs and or rectifier may pop bulbs, at the rev limits on Chinese bikes Wink I went through two headlight and sidelight bulbs until I replaced and re-wired the headlight.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:06 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So from what I can see, this is a perfect example of Tef posting total nonsense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're tall and lets say 'pleasantly plump'
the bikes limited power will struggle to combat the air resistance
which increases with speed.
Top speed of an smr is stated to be 65 mph but they may have had a skinny yoof on it doing that with the wind behind him.

As its new you could always take it back and complain

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

To meet the 55mph 'restriction REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Please remind us how many 1/4 turns are in 360 degrees.

Your advice is downright laughable now Mike.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's actually been more accurate in the past, but the advice and statistics change every time he talks about the same subject.

There have been Chinese 125cc air cooled four stroke clone engined bikes with as little as 8 and 9 claimed bhp. These will not depending on the bike be able to attain more than 50-55mph. The bit about them being made on old worn out Japanese tooling that can't produce the original cam lobe profiles I find dubious.

But some of the locally produced clone engines are designed to run on far worse crap octane fuel, so detuning, different ignition timing and lower compression are all possible.

Things have changed since Euro4 if not before, and the simple air cooled carb fed engines are extinct. Also the Chinese have got alot better at small engines, some of their 125 liquid cooled motors are now 12,13bhp and that's as much as 5bhp more than the early models.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really cost-effective or time-effective to look into ways of making it go faster? Personally, I doubt it. I know it can be hair-raising on some A-roads (moreso at rush hour) on a 125 sometimes. You've got a few options. Probably the best ones are, learn to live with it, or get a faster bike. If you're stuck on a 125, be patient and save your money for lessons and tests. Put £n away (a fixed amount) every month in a special account you won't touch until the time comes to either take your test or get a new bike. You will have more than enough. Until then, just steel yourself and go at your best pace, or give yourself more time for your journey and choose minor roads. Minor roads will make your journeys more interesting and memorable.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

But some of the locally produced clone engines are designed to run on far worse crap octane fuel, so detuning, different ignition timing and lower compression are all possible.

I suspect there is also an element of why bother, when it comes to performance. Almost all expressways (motorways) in China ban motorcycles from using them, so there is no pressing need to find those few extra horses.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Sinnis with the same engine as the Apache.

I bought a big bore kit (150cc, £36) a high lift cam (£30) went up a couple on the main jet (£3) and fitted a +1 front sprocket (£8) and a cheapo k&n, ditched the airbox. Still on a standard exhaust.

It will now indicate 80mph downhill which is a GPS just over 70mph.

More importantly, it has a decent amount more low end.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another for the 'why waste time and money' approach.

Use it until you pass your test, sell it and buy a bigger bike. The old adage that 'there is no substitute for CC's' is a pretty fair one.

Also, when you come to sell it it will be worth (slightly) more unadulterated. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sympathise. My old Superlight was listed as having a top speed of 65 but I rarely got it over 60; the engine wasn't up to it, the handling wasn't up to it. Most of the time I cruised at 45 ~ 50 which it seemed happier with. I'll always have a soft spot for it though and I did wonder what it would have been like to drop a 250 in from a Pakistani Superlight...

No, much better to have a "proper" bike Smile

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flounced by a teffing!

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a low powered Chinese 125 about 10bhp at most its all its got

you want more speed buy a 14bhp bike

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Get more than 55mph Reply with quote

Sinnis Sucker wrote:

apache smr to make it faster as its only going 55mph on a flat road......

Main issues outlined in bold.

Your cheap chinese litter has a copy of a cheap japanese litter 125.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 139 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1