Your most reliable bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 15 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
..You keep banging on about EFI vs carbs, but it's not a choice to have on most bikes...

Just trying to keep the conversation going. I feel there's a certain purity to the purely mechanical nature to carburettors but EFI is technically better. But the downside is it's all controlled by an ECU which is a black box you can't tinker with on the road.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the bikes I've put serious distance on - ER6f, VFR800 VTEC, SH300 - the ER6f was the most reliable by some way.

SH300s tend to burn oil and the needle bearings in the final drive disintegrate into a fine grinding powder in the oil bath, especially if an impact wrench has been used to undo the clutch nut or possibly the wheel nut. I haven't owned an SH that didn't need final drive bearing replacement at some point, and topping up between oil changes once they've done 10+k.

VFR let me down so many times with the charging system. Stator burned itself out twice, reg/recs replaced, connector blocks shorting out. Stranded me multiple times.

Brutale was pretty reliable, but the connector block to the main relay burnt itself up at one point, and later it developed a mysterious misfire on one of the cylinders that went away after I swapped around the coils. It never stranded me though.

YBR, PS, Vity were all reliable, but I didn't ride any of them more than 8k.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:
..You keep banging on about EFI vs carbs, but it's not a choice to have on most bikes...

Just trying to keep the conversation going. I feel there's a certain purity to the purely mechanical nature to carburettors but EFI is technically better. But the downside is it's all controlled by an ECU which is a black box you can't tinker with on the road.

On the other hand, I've had a few problems with carbed singles.

We had a work hack Piaggio that developed starting and running issues, effed about with it (no joy) went to the local scooter place and bought a new carb, all fixed.

Similar issue with a customer's old quad, wouldn't start or run on anything less than part throttle, no amount of fiddling with settings helped, put a 20 quid carb from China on it yesterday, sorted.

I asked the bloke at the scooter place what goes wrong with them (we're all old lags, well versed in rebuilding/setting up things like Strombergs and Webers, so there was a challenge going begging) and he said they just seem to get to a point were nothing works - the evidence suggests he was right.

Also, try googling Honda Superdream or BMW twin carb failure - there's stories out there that will leave you wishing everything had Efi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first big bike, an SV650 never put a foot wrong, I did maintainance things like brakes and servicing but other than that it was reliable but a bit boring.

The Ducati was a nightmare, a 2013 Multistrada, in 8 months of ownership it was back to the dealer 6 times with electrical faults and vibration issues, the rear light snapped it's mounts and fell out on one ride. Laughing

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:03 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

EFI has a black box you don't need to tinker with at the side of the road. If your fuel injected bike breaks down, it's highly unlikely to be down to a problem with the FI. 3 main reasons:
1. The bike is probably newer.
2. FI is harder to fiddle with. More likely to be stock, or altered by a professional using a power commander.
3. Mechanically simpler, tougher, more tolerant of old fuel and likely to run a fuel filter.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki seem to have got FI right back in '83 from my experience, and my current bike, a model that hit the showrooms 18 years later, is carbs and has been equally reliable, my particular one now being 14 years old.

Actually, the carbs on it are now 17 years old, did about 30k miles on the bike they originally came from, and have now done a further 30-odd k miles on this bike, all with no problems.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reliability? Don't know. Throw enough time at it, and you can fix any carb problem. Throw enough money at it, you can fix any EFI problem (might be a lot of money, if it's a German car).
Maintainability and repairability? Carbs over EFI.
Efficiency and fuelling ratios? EFI over carbs.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever?
ZZR1100 - However, it was 3 years old at the time. It's to be expected.

Recently, after my license had it's Swansea holiday?
Hyosung GA125F. The only time it let me down was entirely my fault for putting on a shit air filter that was too restrictive. It may have been a matt black rat, but it just worked despite me wringing it's neck everywhere. Every other bike, except the ZZR has let me down in a way I couldn't have foreseen, and I've pushed them or had them recovered. I'm excluding the current work hack, I've not had it long.

Carbs vs EFI?
EFI is nice this time of year for starting in the morning. However, the 250 has a weird hunting thing it does for a minute before it warms up properly and settles.Once warm, and while riding, it's fine, no noticable lag or flatspots, it works about as well as you can expect a 250 single to work - I'm more worried about the gearbox.
Carbs are still a bit weird to me (I'm not young either) - that said, I have quals in Electronics, I get how EFI works, I'm still learning stuff about carbs beyond basic operation and maintenance.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
...I'm more worried about the gearbox.

That's a good shout: if there's one thing you'd want to be bulletproof on the engine side it's the gearbox. I've seen a few vids of ppl rebuilding them Shocked

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% of gearboxes are bulletproof imho.
In all the years I’ve been involved with bikes, I’ve never had a gearbox let me down or leave me on the side of the road.

Clutches yes, dodgy wiring yes, bad carb set up yes, frayed/snapped cables yes, .

Maybe I don’t rag my bikes hard enough Smile .

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
99% of gearboxes are bulletproof imho.
In all the years I’ve been involved with bikes, I’ve never had a gearbox let me down or leave me on the side of the road.

I'd have been right with you until this one. It's has a distinct dislike of changing down without making sure you engage the box between every change, and 2nd to either neutral or first is a lottery. Waiting for an oil filter to arrive, then we'll see if a change and filter sorts anything out.

That said, I pretty sure it's a a CBR250R (single pot, not the older 4 pot screamer) derived motor, so I may take a punt on parts from one of those if bad things did happen and I found one cheaply enough. If I'm lucky, it'll just be a dog that's worn from noobie abuse, and nothing more. If I'm not, I break it/sell it for fairings etc. Engine itself seems ok, just the box is picky.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GSXR 750 K2.

It never broke down in the entire time I owned it.

The fact it was stolen after 8 hours of me buying it is another thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kev2b4
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki GT500- bought at 13k miles , scrapped at ~ 130k miles, everything worn out at same time, failed once - piston crown came off at 70 mph in 4th gear- two rebores, etc. while using it - but reliable for a bike.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev2b4 wrote:
Suzuki GT500- bought at 13k miles , scrapped at ~ 130k miles, everything worn out at same time, failed once - piston crown came off at 70 mph in 4th gear- two rebores, etc. while using it - but reliable for a bike.

130K Shocked Wow... I'd want to hang it on a wall somewhere Smile

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
130K Shocked Wow... I'd want to hang it on a wall somewhere Smile

Buy my VFR - it's at 115K, original motor, and still runs sweet. Put 15K on it and hang it on the wall.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 00:52 - 18 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ZRX11 is 20 years old with 118,000 miles. Never had the clutch cover off it....

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:16 - 18 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2007 Varadero 125. Bike took an absolute pasting up and down the motorway. 77,000 miles was the last figure I saw before trading it. Would have went round the world without worrying.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 18 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MZ ETZ 251

I treated it like crap and it kept going, bits needed fixing, I bodged them, it kept going

I mean, I broke the kick start off and bumped it everhywhere, but it never didn't work.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Gsr750 Reply with quote

Bought a 13 model and rode it for 13k, mate bought it off me and put another 12k on it... tyres and a chain/sprocket. Never missed a beat before some bint whacked it from under him!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:27 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
MZ ETZ 251

I treated it like crap and it kept going, bits needed fixing, I bodged them, it kept going

I mean, I broke the kick start off and bumped it everhywhere, but it never didn't work.

My kind of bike Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:32 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev2b4 wrote:

Jesus, my GT500 was the most unreliable heap of shit I ever owned. Bought brand new it broke down shortly after i picked it up. Turned out the kill switch was shorting out.

I hated that bike with every ounce of my being. I hated it so much I never bought another Suzuki until 30 ish years later when I bought a Busa (which was fabulous).
Fenolinar This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3