Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Question about buying a motorcycle for a beginner.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mihail
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:29 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Question about buying a motorcycle for a beginner. Reply with quote

Hi. I want to ask for advice h̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶l̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶o̶n which motorcycle suits me better.

The fact is that since the last month I have to go to work from Hounslow to High Wicom by public transport and this situation will continue for about a year.
I decided that the only way out for me was to buy a motorcycle, especially since I had long dreamed about it. Passed the CBT course. Gradually getting ready for a theory test.

I think that it is time need to buy something to drive to work and acquire skills for the exam. But what to buy a big question.

Honestly, I want to buy 125cc maxi scooter. It seems to me that this is very practical for my situation, there is no need to switch speeds when you go home after a hard day, you can put something under the seat.
But I fear that if I ride a scooter it will hurt the passing of a practical exam since I will gain a bit of the wrong driving skills.

Therefore, I need advice. Isn’t it better for me to sacrifice comfort and buy not s scooter but a 125cc motorcycle as similar as possible to those that will be on a practical test?
What advice other drivers can give me.

Last edited by Mihail on 22:46 - 19 Nov 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:36 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely go for a proper motorcycle if you are planning on riding one in the future. The more practice you get maneuvering a bike that has gears and a clutch the more confident and competent you will be when it comes to your learning and test. Besides, scooters are for men who like to feel the wind on their vagina Mr. Green Razz

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:12 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Separate the variables.
Problem 1: Getting to and from work
Problem 2: Passing motorbike tests to be able to ride anything bigger than 125cc

CBT is Compulsory Basic Training, and the Basic is just that and very much so. The DL196 you get for it, is also just that a certificate of completion, it is NOT a motorbike licence, just a learner's permit.

Old adage, IF you are competent and clued up enough to commute... you is competent and clued up enough to pass a motorbike licence test... if not, ponder; is it REALLY a great idea to try taking on the snarling steering wheel gnashing car drivers every morning, on what is statistically almost THE most dangerous way to get to around, and worse, what is the most dangerous time and place to try??

Turn the proposition upside down; IF you aren't safe and competent enough to take tests, you aren't safe and competent enough to commute.. GO DO TESTS, get safe and competent enough to ride ANY bike... then IF the most appropriate for your need happens to be a twist and go 125 scooter... that be the most appropriate and with a ride what you like licence, you can ride what you like, so why not?

I have a full RWYL 'A' licence, and still have a couple of 125's knocking about. In many situations they are the more appropriate to use, and the most 'fun', not that commuting by any means of transport is likely to be, but still.

Seperate the variables; go get a licence, probably a RWYL 'A' via DAS, get some better know how, competence and ability than CBT allows, and THEN make your choice.... and dont get over exited about the big-bikes and dismiss the 125 T&G option just 'cos you have qualification for something roratier. It'll still get you to and from, and IS likely the most suitable for the job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:15 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a scooter, get a scooter. You could ride a 125 now on L-plates and do your test in the spring. It makes sense for an urban commute. You could even get one of those gaucho type leg covers from Tucano urbano.

There are two aspects to riding a motorcycle/passing a test. The vehicle controls and the roadmanship. You'll get plenty of practice in the latter on a scooter anyway so it's not lost time/practice. When you go to do the training for a test, you then just need to worry about the vehicle control, the roadsmanship is more intuitive by that point.

If you have your test, you can then get a slightly bigger scooter with more poke. Second hand 125cc bikes tend not to lose much value un les they are crashed or modified.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:50 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're ultimately going to get a big bike, IMO get a 125 bike. If you want a big scooter, get a 125 scooter Smile

I rebuilt a scooter, rode it to work a few times and quickly sold it (I also had a bike as well.) For me a scooter is a two wheeled car: no brain required. A bike needs more... finesse, even a 125.

However, there are loads of 125s no one said you have to buy an uncomfortable race bike! A bog standard Yamaha or Honda with an upright seating position + a top box would be fine with the added bonus that you won't be a tw*t on a hair drier Laughing

Not enough comfort for you, sir? May I suggest a nice faux-cruiser like the <ahem> Keeyway Superlight Very Happy Like being whisked about on a motorised armchair Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:01 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be comfortable with your commute. Like or loath them, maxi scooters are ideal commuters.

Heart says get a proper m/c. My head says get a maxi scooter (especially for the winter) and take it from there. No law says you have to stick with it.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:48 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon its about 25 miles from Hounslow to High Wycombe
via Northolt and the A40 to Wycombe and as it's a working machine
(no work, no money) you want a solid and reliable commuter.
I'd go for a maxi scoot myself bollox to the real biker crap.
A PCX 125 maybe
If you're not sick of two wheels after the winter you can alway buy a cheap
geared bike to practise on.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One benefit of a scooter for regular long commutes is low maintenance, no chain to adjust for example.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mihail
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:05 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your advice.

Yes, probably I will buy a maxi scooter. I fear that I will not master the skills of manoeuvring on a motorcycle that will be at the beginning of a practical test in an exam.
  But judging by your answers on the scooter, I will also get some driving experience. Lack of experience I can take from practical exercises with an instructor. I hope I don’t need much.

Of course, ideally, It would be better to first pass on full A then buy. But I need to go to work somehow.

P.S. At the moment, I think that after I pass full A, I will buy a Honda Integra.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1