Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike selling options

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Bike selling options Reply with quote

I want to sell my ER5 - dealers aren't really interested in it because it's 13 years old and has done 26k miles. It's also a Cat N write off (cosmetic only - looks like it was dropped). It's structurally sound, it flew through the first MOT and the second MOT while I've had it only one advisory, but it seems that having any form of HPI "blotch" makes it uninteresting.

I'm a bit nervous about selling privately; I don't like the idea of openly inviting people to your house - they'll know then that you have bike(s) in your garage, plus gives them the opportunity to look at security (even if the bike is on the drive and the garage shut). Just not comfortable with that at all.

Any ideas as an alternative? I'm pretty time poor too . . . just for added measure.

Cheers

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything else you might be buying soon? A car perhaps? I'm thinking bike traded in as deposit?

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:06 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

99p start no reserve 7 day eBay auction. Take lots of piccys (they likes their piccys) & be honest in your description. Try to time the auction to end mid evening on a Friday (payday), end of month is best.

An ER5 will sell any day of the week but not always for what you wish for.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Is there anything else you might be buying soon? A car perhaps? I'm thinking bike traded in as deposit?

Looking to buy another bike actually but the dealer isn't interested. It is worth something which is the frustrating part and for the right buyer it'll be sound, it's just the seller I need to get on side!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had any issue selling on ebay, sold cars & bikes in the past, with relatively few problems. It will sell, but, it will only sell for what potential buyers think it's worth, not, what you think it's worth. Of course, that could mean you'd be pleasantly surprised, or alternatively mildly disappointed. Either way, you're probably only looking at getting somewhere between £600 and £900, anything more would definitely be bonus

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
I've not had any issue selling on ebay, sold cars & bikes in the past, with relatively few problems. It will sell, but, it will only sell for what potential buyers think it's worth, not, what you think it's worth. Of course, that could mean you'd be pleasantly surprised, or alternatively mildly disappointed. Either way, you're probably only looking at getting somewhere between £600 and £900, anything more would definitely be bonus

I'd be happy with that price range. I think the concern still stands about someone wanting to view it though.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of is asking your local garage or bike dealer if they'll sell it on commission.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

I'd be happy with that price range. I think the concern still stands about someone wanting to view it though.

I understand. However, whether enay, gumtree or even the local paper, unless trading in, or, if you can get we buy any bike etc, you're stuck with the possibility tat people may want to view and maybe even test ride the bike before buying/bidding..

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:46 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

An HPI blotch will put some people off and there's nothing you can do about that, people who aren't put off by it will be happier if they're told everything up front.

Nobody likes having to prise details from sellers and only receiving information drip by drip so on the eBay ad put as much info as you can think of.

People like high resolution photos, you want lots of them so people can clearly see every part of the bike. Shitty photos put people off so try to make sure you the photos you take are taken in good light.

If you don't want potential buyers coming to your address then your only option is to sell it to a dealer probably as PX. It doesn't sound like the most desirable bike in the world so I doubt your bike would be on a thief's shortlist of ones to checkout the owners home security with the intention of returning in the night to steal the bike.

Don't forget to advertise it on BCF.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overthink it.

Anyone walking past your house will see exactly the same as any buyer who comes if you have the bike ready on the drive.

Also it's nothing special that would attract the professional thief.

I've sold cars and bikes on ebay from where I live with no problems, some being very expensive models.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

It's not anything exotic and the price looks low so if the pics are good enough I doubt people will want to view.. You could always make a video of it running too.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:55 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to see mine he had it on the drive and gave me the key so I could see it running or have a test ride, then went inside to get the paperwork and took 10 minutes. Laughing very trusting.

Pretty trusting. But like said above if it's on your drive and garage closed he doesn't know whether you have a Panigale or shitty winter hack no? More thieves probably walked past your house and didn't take notice.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 124 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1