Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fork suspension query

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:43 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Fork suspension query Reply with quote

Hey all,

If any of you could confirm/give any advice on my suspension it would be great.

I soon realized that my 94 CB400SF had way soft forks, bottoming out when exiting kerbs or hitting some potholes (I figure, form the CLANK) and diving quite a bit when braking, It bounces a lot too. I was planning to buy these £96 Hagon shocks, but decided it was worth to take current sag measurements and get an opinion.

I measured from the fork brace or whatever and the edge of the outer tube in centimeters

17.3 Fully extended

12.3 static after compressing
14.1 static after lifting
13.2 average for 4.1cm sag

12.1 rider after compressing
11.5 rider after lifting
11.8 average for 5.5cm sag

I am not sure how much travel I got, I weight 75kg and this was with no gear so maybe 5-10 extra kilos, and sometimes I pillion with my 50kg gf for long rides. Not sure how much it is with her as she was the one taking the measurements.

Someone told me to add heavier oil but that will just make it less bouncy and still bottomed out right? Also wondering what weight oil I should put back in.

Thanks in advance
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, are you sure that they are actually assembled properly with the right amount of fork oil in, of the right viscosity?

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:58 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, no I am not sure if they are currently to spec or assembled properly.
I guess measuring them and the air gap might be an initial step. I only have a russian translated manual though, it has the spring size, but not the sag specs.
I need to undo the handlebar as it's in the way, I guess that's one point for clip-ons heh.

The oil/air gap won't decrease sag though right? Only new springs? I've read around but found anything from 2.5 to 4cm rider sag, mine are over that, so I was wondering if the stiffer/new springs would be a good idea too.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:54 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll see to that before buying new shocks Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:15 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your forks are bottoming out. You need stronger springs. End of. Any of the other things you can fiddle with are just fucking with how quickly they move up and down.

Go here:

https://www.racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Honda/CB400SF%20Super%20Four/1994

Click on the "Calculate spring rates." hyperlink. This will give you a spring rate, oil viscosity and air gap. Do all that. Set static sage to 25-30mm depending on how you like to ride.

Even at 85kg, you'd want linear springs 50% stiffer than standard (and the standard ones will be knackered because they are 25 years old.

There are UK suppliers of linear springs much cheaper than racetec.

Now there is the "how much do you want to spend on a 25 year old motorcycle? option.

Your bike has damper rods. They are shit.

You could fit cartridge emulators (try Brooks suspension, or go full gold-valve).

Alternatively, you could see if you can find either a full front end or a set of cartridges that fit your bike (might be cheaper). You will find the difference remarkable. Doing a lot of setting up with 25 year old damper rods in is polishing a turd. Fitting springs strong enough to keep you from bottoming out is not.

I just upgraded the (already cartridge but basic cartridge) suspension on my VFR750 using linear springs and a set of fettled firestorm cartridges and it's like a different bike.

...Looks like a CBR600F3 fork stanchion is the same diameter. There are other considerations too if you wanted to swap the whole front end. If you are really lucky, you might be able to bolt the whole cartridge in, some Hondas are a bit like lego in that respect. I suppose a CB400 owners forum would be the best bet to ask about them. If you can fit those, then you can buy a pair of rusty, pitted forks off ebay for much cheapness. The cartridges are probably ok on account of being in oil.

But yeah. New springs.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:44 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you stinkwheel, by far the best advice. Wink

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:56 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I never got round to this and forgot about it Rolling Eyes but after scraping the exhaust again and getting a shitscare bottoming out the forks I feel I best get on with it. (Also I'd like to crash my bike by learning to wheelie)

The CBR600F3 fork swap seems very good but I'd be afraid start the project as I have limited tools, can't decommission the bike for more than a weekend and can't find any within budget compared to springs.

I don't think I measured the springs when I had them out, but the manual says 338.2mm, and 130mm travel (which I measured and is accurate).

I could only find Hagon springs on Wemoto, but they are way big at 550mm and progressive with 5.8 to 10.5 kg/cm. Racetech's calculator recommends 0.7-0.75 kg/mm for me, so even if they fit in there not sure if appropriate.

Does anyone know where I could get some springs from for ~£100?
I found https://motorcycleshockabsorbers.co.uk/, on which you can pick from K-Tech/Racetech/FC/Bitubo and send a form with your bike, weight, pillion weight etc etc, anyone have experience with them or have other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:21 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your suspension was crap when it left the factory, but it's safe to say it wasn't this bad. It just got worse over time & mileage.

I can't say that I'd chuck much money into rebuilding a 94 CB400, but it does sound like you do need to rebuild those forks.

New springs (those Hagons are a good idea), new bushes, new seals & new oil. I'd steer away from anyone who claims to be able to make them drastically better than when they left the factory, they were crap when they left that factory & I don't recall anyone having much success with them back then.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:20 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick a CBR600 or blade front end on. Probably cheaper than getting the original forks reworked so they aren’t shit.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:44 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
Your suspension was crap when it left the factory, but it's safe to say it wasn't this bad. It just got worse over time & mileage.

Sad but true Laughing

JackButler wrote:

I can't say that I'd chuck much money into rebuilding a 94 CB400, but it does sound like you do need to rebuild those forks.

New springs (those Hagons are a good idea), new bushes, new seals & new oil. I'd steer away from anyone who claims to be able to make them drastically better than when they left the factory, they were crap when they left that factory & I don't recall anyone having much success with them back then.

The Hagons wouldn't fit though? They have an extra 20cm, I don't suppose I can cut them up could I?

I don't want to chuck too much money at it as it is a non special 1k bike after all, but I can't upgrade any time soon and I like the rest of the bike, so I want to at least have not too crap Neutral

Forced wrote:

Stick a CBR600 or blade front end on. Probably cheaper than getting the original forks reworked so they aren’t shit.

I did some search and it seems it can be dropped in easily, although they might be longer than mine and hit the handlebar if I try to keep stock height (got it from a hornet forum). But I can't find an F3 for parts or front end. Confused

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:15 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aftermarket springs are not necessarily the same length as the originals. They are generally a lot longer and use much shorter spacers.

Try giving Brook Suspension a call/email.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:57 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Aftermarket springs are not necessarily the same length as the originals. They are generally a lot longer and use much shorter spacers.

Try giving Brook Suspension a call/email.

Interesting, I don't recall mine having spacers on top.

I'll give them a call, thanks Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:06 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:

Interesting, I don't recall mine having spacers on top.

I'll give them a call, thanks Very Happy

Could that explain them being ludicrously soft and bottoming out then? Because they should have a fairly hefty steel spacer on top. Around 6" long from the look of it. You can make your own spacers quite cheaply using slices of blue alkethene water pipe.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb400f-super-four-type-ii-1994-r-japan-nc31-120_model50219/collar-spring-sh_51402kv3701/#.Xd0im252thE

https://images.cmsnl.com/img/products/collarspring-sh_medium51402KV3701-01_baa4.jpg

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:19 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, I do remember seeing that, looked at the manual and it's there. I tried using long screwdrivers and a coat hanger to get the spring out. Rolling Eyes my bad.
wintelf94 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1