Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Royal Enfield Himalayan

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Royal Enfield Himalayan Reply with quote

Hi,
I took a test ride on one today, started it up and sounded a bit like my old CG but thats where the good started to end, it was comfy to sit and ride but the engine was rough sounding and once going any acceleration sounded like something was loose in the engine which got worse as I went faster. It wasnt too vibey but the feel of it bad enough to make it a short test ride which was a shame as I really like the look of it and it felt really light once on it. This was a 18 plate with 2400m on it, I cant understand how people on adventure sites say its so good,I am looking for something comfy to ride low revving and easy to service and at the moment the nc750 seems to be the only one but it feels heavy so the scoot will stay a bit longer.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
...I cant understand how people on adventure sites say its so good cheap...

FTFY Smile I was also seriously looking at the Himalayan but I looked at the specs Shocked My Rebel is the same length and weight, comfy, smooth and almost twice the power and a good chunk more torque. Great commuting bikes for runs <50 miles.

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one in July, think it is great, I have a Tracer 700 for normal use, but find the Himalayan good fun for country use, it is noisy, the brakes are pretty awful, it can't go fast, it is a Royal Enfield and doesn't like do anything in a hurry, BUT, it is different, has a bit of character and if you feel like going green landing it is a great bike.

Seems to be ok for adventure trips, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEIs9nkveW9WmYtsOcJBwTg

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:26 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test rode one this Saturday.

First thing I noticed was this overwhelming feeling "of being at home", an I loved most aspects of the bike, however:

Weak front brake;
Under powered engine, I didn't find it torquey at all tbh, shifting at higher revs didn't make much difference and felt wrong. I don't think it's much of an upgrade performance wise to a 125 tbh;
increasing the revs made the whole tach vibrate as if it was going to self destruct (possibly needs tightening or some sort of bushings??).

I had good expectations but it just feels like the compact tractor I drive on my gran's farm Confused Other than that I loved it. I would buy one if the engine was better.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative might be the new Trials 500: bit more power, bit more torque Smile

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having a look into them after seeing one at a cafe. Looks great but from what I gather it's a bit under powered.

Apparently India is getting a 650 though https://news.maxabout.com/bikes/royal-enfield/royal-enfield-himalayan-650-launch-2021/

Check this out too Laughing
https://news.maxabout.com/bikes/royal-enfield/royal-enfield-himalayan-chassis-breaks/#prettyPhoto

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
I was having a look into them after seeing one at a cafe. Looks great but from what I gather it's a bit under powered.

Apparently India is getting a 650 though https://news.maxabout.com/bikes/royal-enfield/royal-enfield-himalayan-650-launch-2021/

Check this out too Laughing
https://news.maxabout.com/bikes/royal-enfield/royal-enfield-himalayan-chassis-breaks/#prettyPhoto

2021?! For what is essentially an Interceptor in Himalayan clothing? They must be real busy... on a welding course one would hope Shocked

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks increadibly thin steel for a box section frame. Shocked

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand the frame breakages occurred only on the earlier bs3 model (bs4 is current) globally although there have still been more recent failures in the Indian models. It seems the international models like we get are of a higher build standard than those for the Indian market, with reinforcements around the head stock area. I wonder if they bought a whole bunch of crap frames and rather than binning them have decided to use them for the Indian models.

I really like the look of them and was considering getting one but ended up with the CRF250L instead as I feel it suits my intended purposes better, even if it needs some accessories and minor mods that the Him wouldn't need out of the box.

flea-rider
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:20 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6qXM_N34TI

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B3 did have some problems, this was the carb model with problem electrics. The busted frames were possibly misuse, however the B4 seems to have cured these problems and quality control for European models is much better.
I consider my bike every bit as robust as the 1982 XT500 that I had for several years, I haven't done anything in the way of severe off roading, but for what I want it is fine, yes it is underpowered, but, I can go to places that I can't get to on the Tracer, can take my time enjoying the view, if you live in the country it is a great bike.
One problem on the B4 is the head bearings, I had mine checked on the 300 mile service and they were fine, Moto Corsa have found bikes from the factory that are notchy, have been advised not to pressure wash this area, but replacement is not a big job in the scheme of things.
I mentioned before that the dealer told me that people buy the Himalayan as a second bike, but find that the first bike stays in the garage, this is true for me at the moment, in this bad weather I go out and about on the Himalayan and the shiny Tracer stays in the warm and dry.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
An alternative might be the new 'ANYTHING ELSE, GOD ANYTHING ELSE'

Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:22 - 21 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimksanchez wrote:
If you want to hire a professional essay writer, you can try to visit the website of the expert writing services and ask them for some help.

Oh, fuck right off, cockmuncher!
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 185 days between these two posts...

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 23 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received a letter from Royal Enfield today, apparently they are re-calling Himalayans because the brakes don't work, I noticed that and just assumed it was part of the charm.
First step is a strip,clean and inspection of calipers, fix is a repair kit, final solution is new modified calipers which will be fitted free when available.
It will be nice to be able to stop, I had to brake firmly recently, the ABS was going like football rattle, the front brake did nothing and the bike just kept going, was rather worrying.
BUT, the Himalayan is just a great bike.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

om15 wrote:
I had to brake firmly recently, the ABS was going like football rattle, the front brake did nothing and the bike just kept going, was rather worrying.
BUT, the Himalayan is just a great bike.

Yep, sounds.... wonderful Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 305 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1