BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Drum Brakes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:32 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Drum Brakes Reply with quote

Yes it's me again Smile What would be the best grease to use for drum brake parts?

I have on hand: copper, silicone, lithium, teflon and molybdenum. Will any of these do the job?

Also, I read somewhere you can put grease on the pads to stop them squeaking. That doesn't sound right Shocked

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something claggy and sticky?
Only stuff I ever used was a small amount of copperslip. For me though I would dismantle them regularly and clean them through - it ensured maximum effectiveness.
Edit: Do not put grease onto friction surfaces ar anywhere where it could potentially reach them. Use grease sparingly where the cam travels through the holder and a tiny bit on the cam where the shoes are squashing it.
Tiny amounts and regular servicing is key.

Drum brakes have SHOES. Disc brakes have PADS. I never ever had shoes that squeeled.
You're confusing this with disc brakes - I'm well aware that you watch YouTube vids for advice but whatever you do, do not watch Delboy doing things to bikes and copy it. Actually don't copy how he uses tools or anything.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use normal grease on the cams where the pivot in the brake plate and a spot of copperslip on the actuating faces of the cam.

Off topic but don’t put copperslip on the back of disc pads. It causes dust seals to dry out and swell.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:02 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Drum Brakes Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Also, I read somewhere you can put grease on the pads to stop them squeaking. That doesn't sound right Shocked

Well, it will stop them squeaking, thats for sure!

I cannot believe there are people so stupid to grease brake pad contact areas and if there are, Darwin's theory will be proved again.

Therefore chap, I will presume you just wrote the above to get a rise out of old duffers who can't see the funny side of that statement.

Well done, you properly pushed my buttons. Thumbs Up

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Drum Brakes Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Yes it's me again Smile What would be the best grease to use for drum brake parts?

Castrol LM. A thin smear...

Edit: Now replaced by/renamed as "Castrol High Temperature Grease".

Easy-X wrote:

A thin smear... where the piston pushes, on the back of them...

Last edited by Riejufixing on 10:17 - 02 Dec 2019; edited 1 time in total

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:45 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use copper grease only on brakes.

Clean it first. That's the important bit. Brake cleaner and a stiff brush.

Then a thin smear of copper grease on moving parts, the cam and its spindle are the important bits. If you use lots it will just attract brake dust and make a mess. Copper grease can burn off the greasy bit and leave a coating of copper.

Strip and clean once a year, or every tyre change.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Drum brakes have SHOES. Disc brakes have PADS. I never ever had shoes that squeeled.
You're confusing this with disc brakes - I'm well aware that you watch YouTube vids for advice but whatever you do, do not watch Delboy doing things to bikes and copy it. Actually don't copy how he uses tools or anything.

Haha! I meant the surface of the shoes. They are the pads, no? Smile

Regarding advice ofc I watch YouTube. You get a good idea of whether someone has any confidence and enthusiasm about the job in hand but there are exceptions like Delboy and Americans Wink It's either that or bug you guys all the time. And the other bike forums have too many autists for my taste Laughing

The grease on pads was on some on-line article I (mis)read. Poor wording vs ignorance, a potential lethal combination!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:16 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use black molybdenum grease.

As a general rule, high load/low movement (eg a metal pivot on a steel bush) = Black Moly. grease. Low-load/High speed (eg wheel bearings) = LM grease.

The molybdenum is good for this application because it's metal on metal. The molybdenum disulphide will hang about and lubricate the metal-on-metal even if the grease film is broken/missing.

If you know any car mechanics, see if they have some leftover sachets of black grease from ball joints/track-rod ends. It has a very high moly content, really good quality grease.

You need to grease the cam pivot well (some older bikes even have a grease nipple here) and a THIN smear on the cam and pivot pins. I usually put a very thin smear on the springs to stop them rusting.

You shouldn't touch the friction material with anything but brake drum (with the possible exception of a bit of emery paper/chalk if you have to profile them in).

I put copper grease on the splines to stop them seizing.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx! I have lots of moly grease - it gets used a lot in eBike motors.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 118 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1