Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Decent LED indicators?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Decent LED indicators? Reply with quote

Looking for decent indicators. They need to be bright and reliable, which bulbs are not - the ba9s type Im using, the glass keeps seperating from the bayonete fitting as they are all chinese shit..

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of riding do you plan on? A 21W bulb is a plenty bright, you just need a clean reflector and lense. By the way, LEDs hate moisture and vibration cracks the solder on the LED PCB. You will probably require a new turn signal solenoid.

Reliabiity of a light bulb is also given by its build quality. Stop buying ''chinese shit''.

Since you want LED turn signals, have a look at alichinaexpress. Don't pay local vendors 100-200% markups for the exact same thing.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:48 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put good quality LED bulbs in normal indicators. Fit an electronic relay so they flash. Contrary to the hype, LEDs don't last forever, bulbs are easy to replace.

My advice is the opposite to above. Buy from a legit vendor with a physical address in the UK who has already done the legwork as to what works and what is shit, has picked a supplier and will stand by their products.

I buy all my LED bulbs off these guys:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk

Make sure you get amber ones and make sure they have LEDs on the sides and the end, not just one or the other.

If they will fit in the gap, these would be good.
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/2x-ba9s-lucas-l516-1130-bright-yellow-t4w-233-led-sidelight-upgrade-bulb?_pos=9&_sid=927d73414&_ss=r

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 05 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're binning the Honda housings then you'll need E2/E3 marked units.

Oxford do some reasonably priced ones that are legal and bright, but as with a lot of aftermarket they're prone to snapping at the stem with any minor contact.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 05 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://yamabits.co.uk/yamaha-led-flashers-indicators.html

Universal fitment. Top OEM+ quality.

I replaced the relay though rather than use the supplied ballast packs.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:54 - 06 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
https://yamabits.co.uk/yamaha-led-flashers-indicators.html

Universal fitment. Top OEM+ quality.

I replaced the relay though rather than use the supplied ballast packs.

Good, but who uses dome-type LEDs these days? They are about 10 years behind the curve. All about the SMDs...

How many vehicles/road signs/street lights/traffic lights do you see with missing LEDs these days? All our local busses have LED tail and indicator lights and I haven't been sat behind one of them that doesn't have some missing LEDs. They are made in such a way as you can't replace them so when one goes, you have to either replace the whole unit or live with it.

That's the reason I use LED bulbs in conventional holders, although I would go with OEM holders too (doesn't matter who, just not aftermarket ones which seem to be universally rubbish). I got a set of a triumph speed twin for my latest build. They are great quality but was a bit of a mixed blessing because they have oddball shorty bulbs with offset pins that were much more expensive in LED form than most.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 06 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dome/discrete Leds are also directional abd low power, unsuitable for indicators. More so when they parrallel them up under one current limiting resitor, the cause of led's dying. Smd's same problem.

Ideal is a power led or cob. There are several bulbs using cree XBD's, but would be much better if designed for the housing.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-1156-382-BA15S-5W-Cree-XBD-LED-Light-Car-Turn-Signal-Reverse-Light-Bulb-Amber/372535986221
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PC-48W-Amber-CREE-Led-581-Py21w-Turn-Signal-Indicator-Bulbs-Bau15s-AC-DC12-24v/273961061816
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-BAY15D-1157-380-P21-5W-CREE-6LEDs-30W-STOP-TAIL-DUAL-FILAMENT-White-Red-Amber/122799636912

Oem is expensive but probably the way to go. Anyone know which 2015+ bikes have good indicators?

And yes, fragile indicator housings are good, much better than ripping the fairing off.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:30 - 06 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Osram LED bulbs are superb quality. Robustly built with intelligent use of heat-sinking and they have the LEDs mounted on a central "wedge" to get a good spread of light in all directions. Also properly low profile so they don't take up more room in the holder than a standard bulb.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Osram-Premium-LED-Indicator-Bulbs-382A-Amber-P21W-BA15s-Bayonet-12V-7556YE-02B/352052518031?epid=2246659877&hash=item51f7f71c8f:g:7TAAAOSwiuxaxix5
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 143 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1