Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Who rides out in low temps

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:14 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Who rides out in low temps Reply with quote

Im new to passing my test, learned out in wet and rain so the weather doesnt phase me, but the low temps do.

I was hoping to ride today for the first proper outing on my new bike but its freezing, tomorrow is around 3-5 degrees here.

So how low do you guys avoid, i know it may vary on experience and need etc.

cheers

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Cold. Reply with quote

I pick my morning commute route along busier roads when it's dark and freezing. Once the sun is up and ground frost is fading I'm much happier to travel country roads.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:55 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

makes sense buddy. the route i was planning should be busy, but temps as low as 3degrees. curious about shaded corners.
I dont need to ride so its only a pleasure thing

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always the extra risk with ice in low lying and/or shaded corners. You can sometimes simply keep in the wheel tracks of our 4 wheeled friends but that is no cast iron guarantee of grip. Even the inbetween bit that often offers more grip in certain conditions can be a grit filled twitch fest.

You don't win any medals for riding in near to freezing temperatures but for me I did find it useful when there were times when a bike was my only way (liar...could've used buses..taxis...cadge a lift) to get where I needed.

Treat it like you do in the rain or down a muddy track. Loose on the bars, smooth on the brakes before the turn and a throttle just about pulling you through the corner...any twitching...ignore (actually you do get a medal if you can ignore your first twitch). Keep your head up and continually take in your surroundings, looking for patches of wet ...hillside side water...blocked grids and topless models from Gateshead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:37 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Always the extra risk with ice in low lying and/or shaded corners. You can sometimes simply keep in the wheel tracks of our 4 wheeled friends but that is no cast iron guarantee of grip. Even the inbetween bit that often offers more grip in certain conditions can be a grit filled twitch fest.

You don't win any medals for riding in near to freezing temperatures but for me I did find it useful when there were times when a bike was my only way (liar...could've used buses..taxis...cadge a lift) to get where I needed.

Treat it like you do in the rain or down a muddy track. Loose on the bars, smooth on the brakes before the turn and a throttle just about pulling you through the corner...any twitching...ignore (actually you do get a medal if you can ignore your first twitch). Keep your head up and continually take in your surroundings, looking for patches of wet ...hillside side water...blocked grids and topless models from Gateshead.

thankyou great advice. Smile

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's some advice.
There are plenty of people here who have to ride through winter and if you hang around they may give some of the good stuff.

It's not always so much the actual temperature as I've ridden in minus whatevers... it's the moisture content. A bone dry road on a clear day posed no problem on my trip up the M6 but the windchill of -30 did. Visor fogging on the inside and even with double gloves I admitted defeat and turned back after a thaw out.

Few of us hardy northern scum would have a meetup during the winters.
Now I have a car (plus bikes) and the 'scumbags' rarely post on here. So I call that a win-win. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind it cold and I don't mind it wet... riding through sleet is where I draw the line!

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:51 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure as well you have some proper thick biking gloves. If it gets to cold (especially if you are travelling at speed, as you will be buffeted with high cold wind) , your fingers will go number, stop working and control of clutch and break will become harder.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:11 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes im a northerner, i dont mind wet etc, and so far only really been in bad cold, although training and test week was around 4 degrees and wet.
my hands are the only part to get cold, the gloves are ok but not full winter, i need to try a few as some offline were too tight so a shop visit is needed, do have heated grips but they wont warm my knuckles lol. (not even tested them yet)

might venture out tomorrow across lincolnshire, Tuesday is warmer so defo one of the 2.

Im Doncaster area based if anyone knows any good haunts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out today on the VFR for a couple of hours - ice on seat, frosty all over the place etc. TL;DR - It's fine, if you're careful.

Gloves. You want decent winter ones (Spada Enforcers, RST Ti Outlast etc) . Silks/inner gloves also help, especially if you're on a budget (£70+ for above gloves). If your hands are numb, you're going to have a bad time, even if you don't bin it. Ideally, you want a tiny airgap between your fingertips and the gloves. Too much and you lack control, but pushed up against them will transmit the cold far more quickly. Good winter gloves are bulky. Heated handgrips help, but only to a point. Heated gloves are great, but expensive (£150+) and you need to make sure your bikes electrical system is up to powering anything heated as well. Cheap Chinese/Korean 125's usually struggle, being built to a price.

Snow is fine if you're *smooth*. Much emphasis on smooth, dont get grabby on the throttle, clutch or brakes. Things you'll get away with in the dry will absolutely have you off in reduced grip situations. If there's ice/black ice on the road itself not just pavements and puddles? Get the car out, or take the fucking bus - You get to claim if the driver stuffs it into the hedge.

Leave a bigger gap - Not just because of your stopping distance, but also the muppet behind you. Lots of car drivers fail to comprehend how much grip is reduced, and how much stopping distance is increased.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:54 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I was out today on the VFR for a couple of hours - ice on seat, frosty all over the place etc. TL;DR - It's fine, if you're careful.

Gloves. You want decent winter ones (Spada Enforcers, RST Ti Outlast etc) . Silks/inner gloves also help, especially if you're on a budget (£70+ for above gloves). If your hands are numb, you're going to have a bad time, even if you don't bin it. Ideally, you want a tiny airgap between your fingertips and the gloves. Too much and you lack control, but pushed up against them will transmit the cold far more quickly. Good winter gloves are bulky. Heated handgrips help, but only to a point. Heated gloves are great, but expensive (£150+) and you need to make sure your bikes electrical system is up to powering anything heated as well. Cheap Chinese/Korean 125's usually struggle, being built to a price.

Snow is fine if you're *smooth*. Much emphasis on smooth, dont get grabby on the throttle, clutch or brakes. Things you'll get away with in the dry will absolutely have you off in reduced grip situations. If there's ice/black ice on the road itself not just pavements and puddles? Get the car out, or take the fucking bus - You get to claim if the driver stuffs it into the hedge.

Leave a bigger gap - Not just because of your stopping distance, but also the muppet behind you. Lots of car drivers fail to comprehend how much grip is reduced, and how much stopping distance is increased.

Thankyou, looking up those gloves now

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 05 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything below 5c I don't bother these days, actually of late I've not used the cbr since mid November.

Before now I've ridden in snow and slush, by staying on main roads and riding in the patches of tarmac exposed by cars.

I can envisage the cbr only getting our once or twice before Feb, mainly to stop it getting very grumpy, as it misfires a bit if left for months without fresh fuel.

I'm getting old and can't be arsed, bikes are for fun and naughty commuting for me these days.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:33 - 05 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Anything below 5c I don't bother these days, actually of late I've not used the cbr since mid November.

Before now I've ridden in snow and slush, by staying on main roads and riding in the patches of tarmac exposed by cars.

I can envisage the cbr only getting our once or twice before Feb, mainly to stop it getting very grumpy, as it misfires a bit if left for months without fresh fuel.

I'm getting old and can't be arsed, bikes are for fun and naughty commuting for me these days.

weather isnt great for a while now, the odd day at 8 or 8 degrees. was ok today just a bit windy. had 2 short runs last 2 days but thats it until next week if we get an ok day and im not busy

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 06 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crashed, well I fell over in a layby cos of mud, cos I was too cold and inattentive to deal with an easy hazard, in Jan this year. It was about 1 or 2 degrees, but I'd ridden too far and too long without stopping for a warm up and a break.

But yeah, often do ride in cold, but try and keep the distances shorter, and keep an eye on forecasts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 06 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Who rides out in low temps Reply with quote

Leearchertog wrote:
Im new to passing my test, learned out in wet and rain so the weather doesnt phase me, but the low temps do.

I was hoping to ride today for the first proper outing on my new bike but its freezing, tomorrow is around 3-5 degrees here.

cheers

I'll let you know, when it gets cold.. So far, it's not been cold enough for muffs, or thermal lining in the jacket.

by the way, 3-5 degrees, is not cold, mild yes, cold, no. You dn't really start to feel the cold at 70mph, until the outside temp is -8 degress or below, even then, it's not until -10 that is genuinely cold, then I may put the muffs on, and the thermal lining in the jacket. Getting close to 2 years since the muffs were last used

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:09 - 06 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
it's not until -10 that is genuinely cold,

Laughing You're trying too hard to impress. It's not working.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:55 - 06 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Who rides out in low temps Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Leearchertog wrote:

cheers

I'll let you know, when it gets cold.. So far, it's not been cold enough for muffs, or thermal lining in the jacket.

by the way, 3-5 degrees, is not cold, mild yes, cold, no. You dn't really start to feel the cold at 70mph, until the outside temp is -8 degress or below, even then, it's not until -10 that is genuinely cold, then I may put the muffs on, and the thermal lining in the jacket. Getting close to 2 years since the muffs were last used

frank castle of the bike world lol. i only get a cold right index finger, new gloves not amazing but were only £40 so cant moan.
the cold i dont mind, ice i dont want to even try and tackle.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 06 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
it's not until -10 that is genuinely cold,

Laughing You're trying too hard to impress. It's not working.

Shackleton was a pussy.

Personally, I put the liner in my jacket when the temperature approaches -273C.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 06 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Who rides out in low temps Reply with quote

Leearchertog wrote:

cheers

Let's assume bone-dry roads and no frost for a fair few days. I don't really ride that much different than I normally do, although yes, the fact that my tyres won't be as warm does mean I'm a bit more cautious when cornering. If I'm going to be doing much more than 50 miles, I'll be wanting regular breaks to warm up - even 5 degrees is enough to piss me off after a while (I don't have any gadgets so just have to layer up).

If it's wet, and / or been frosty over night, it's a different story. I'll be tentative and trying to softer on the brakes and softer coming off them. In fact, I'll be trying to use them less in general.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 06 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tyres designed for cold weather - everyone has their own opinions from their own experience, I prefer PR3s or PR4s.
Silk inner gloves for any type of hardy thick winter gloves
Handlebar muffs, yes they look shite but are amazing for low temp riding
Heated grips - dead easy to install and work ace - especially with muffs

Agree with above comment - around 50-60 miles Id want to have a coffee / warmup break.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 06 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Good tyres designed for cold weather - everyone has their own opinions from their own experience, I prefer PR3s or PR4s.

PR2s were enlightenment for me, and then on to PR4s. I'm sure there are others just as good too, but I'd never ridden on anything so confidence inspiring in cold, wet conditions until I first tried these (won my first set of 2s from a bike magazine Mr. Green ). Never tried anything else since.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 06 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't ride if it's below zero unless it's bone dry. Normally that's in places like alpine passes in spring, where the roads are cleared and the sun heats the road surface enough to dry them out.

The roads around here are usually salted when it's below freezing, and the salt sucks moisture out of the air, so the roads stay wet. That salty muck is then sucked off the road by your tyres and deposited on your radiator, swingarm, shocks, etc., accelerating corrosion. Not weather for a bike you value highly.

ABS and traction control helps in this weather. The main thing to avoid is jerk (sudden changes in acceleration); smoothly and gradually all the things. If you want to accelerate hard (e.g. to overtake), pull out then accelerate in a straight line, or get up to speed then drift out and back in again, don't combine large changes in direction and speed.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 06 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Who rides out in low temps Reply with quote

Leearchertog wrote:

Eh? Doesn't reduce you to stages?

Oh .... you mean faze.

Yeah, my commute is mostly Motorway and A road so it's not usually a problem. The worst thing is the fine mucky salty spray. Wipe it off with your glove* before it dries / freezes. And avoid the lumpy bits when it snows.

* If only there was an automated alternative!

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:41 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Who rides out in low temps Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Leearchertog wrote:

Eh? Doesn't reduce you to stages?

Oh .... you mean faze.

Yeah, my commute is mostly Motorway and A road so it's not usually a problem. The worst thing is the fine mucky salty spray. Wipe it off with your glove* before it dries / freezes. And avoid the lumpy bits when it snows.

I take pics for a living hence my grammer being shite. lol.

above advice great, overtaking tips and tyres. thanks

* If only there was an automated alternative!

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:45 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checked the tyres, Pilot Road 4, did think i was taking corners better than on the triumph i trained on. just thought it was different bike feeling. only been out in wet/damp roads but noticed i took bends with a bit more confidence.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2